• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Circa in High Bridge

tommy

as far as i know, Chef Michael Coury's newest restaurant, Circa, is open. Michael is an amazing talent who was most recently at hoboken's Jefferson. this new venture is less italian and perhaps more french bistro, but with some italian overtones, from what i understand. unfortunately it's an hour from my home so i've not had the chance to get out there.

nj.com's high bridge forum has some scattered discussion of questionable quality: http://www.nj.com/forums/highbridge/

Edited by tommy (log)

as far as i know, Chef Michael Coury's newest restaurant, Circa, is open.  Michael is an amazing talent most recently at hoboken's Jefferson.  this new venture is less italian and perhaps more french bistro,, but with some italian overtones, from what i understand.  unfortunatel it's an hour from my home so i've not had the chance to get out there.

nj.com's high bridge forum has some scattered discussion of questionable quality:  http://www.nj.com/forums/highbridge/

Scattered discussion of questionable quality is an understatement, methinks! :laugh: And I'm with Tommy--very anxious to get out there, but it isn't exactly next door. Has anyone been yet? I know that Chef is really excited about the place, and that there's a buzz about it in town (have friends who live in Califon)--a great start indeed, with Michael's talent.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 2 weeks later...

Circa received 3 stars in today's Star-Ledger. Congrats to Michael and crew! GOT to get out there one of these days...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

it took even me, who lives less than 10 minutes away, til now --we finally got there for lunch today--had a very good meal.

They did a lovely job with the decor--retained the old time features--tin ceiling, old bar, the meat cases and counter at the rear.

comfortable, plain chairs, wood tables--really a pleasant place--sort of bistro-ish--the waitperson had a long white apron on, white shirt and black pants--I love that look.

the only jarring note was crappy music playing--easy listening pop or something--that lowered the atmosphere big-time.

we got the plainest food from the lunch menu-- wanted to see how they were doing things before splashing out on fancier stuff.

The hub got a cheeseburger--it was huge and really delicious, he said--a good bun, not the standard hamburger bun, really fab french fries--skin on, thin and lots of crunch.

My mom got quiche--it was ham, cheese and asparagus--she liked it--the crust looked excellent--very flaky--it might have had some whole wheat flour--it looked a little darker than a white pastry crust.

She and I had delish hand made potato chips on the side, and a small salad--and the chips are great--like the ones you get at Union Square Cafe--paper thin, peppery and crunchy--it would be dangerous to work there and have these available at will. The salad was a nice little mesclun salad with a good dressing--may have had sherry vinegar, good olive oil, maybe some onion or shallot and some herbs--excellent.

I got a BLTA--(avocado was the A) the waitress advised that the tomatoes were not the real good summer ones yet, but they were ok--great bacon--thick and tasty, boston lettuce, really creamy ripe avocado, artisanal white bread--just delicious.

Now i can't wait to go back and try all the other neat stuff--several different ways of doing mussels--with the frites on the side, the cheese and charcuterie plates--there's lots of interesting fare on the menu--I hope they do well--it is wonderful to see unfussy, careful cooking with top quality ingredients at my back door!