• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fast Food Nation Movie

johnsmith45678

Fox Searchlight Pictures has acquired North American distribution rights to "Fast Food Nation."

Directed by Richard Linklater, the film is a dramatic character study about the fast-food industry based on Eric Schlosser's nonfiction best-seller. A 2006 release is planned.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/2005121...3496375100.html

I've flipped through the book, and it looks like a somewhat interesting read. I enjoyed "Super Size Me."

There's all sort of intriguing things behind this one... A user comment on imd.com quotes a New York Time article that says the film is being made under the stealthy codename "Coyote" in order to help the filmmakers gain access... It also says that the main finacial backers is ebay co-founder Jess Skoll, through his Parcicipant Productions company, that "...believes in the power of media to create great social change." Very interesting.

I never read the book, but heard an extensive and fascinating interview with the author on NPR. The bit about food flavoring -- artificial and so-called "natural" flavoring was particularly interesting...

I read this on a vacation soon after it was published -- apparently, some college(s?) have it on the required reading list for incoming Freshmen.

It's really, really interesting and provocative. I'll never look at a Wal-Mart in the same way again. I'm not really a fast-food eater or Wal-Mart shopper, for my own reasons, but this gave me a lot to think about.

Grub: I recall the line the author wrote about the flavor enhancers and aromas. The one that stands out is how he could have sworn he was smelling a burger off the grill. And it was just a test tube. Wow.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I hope they keep in the "They're ruminants, goddammit" about cows.

Perfect line. Simply perfect.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

One part of the book that sticks in my mind is the fact that McDonald's spends thousands on marketing studies that delineate the different types of whines that kids use to get what they want, and how long it takes parents to cave in to their demands. My son never had a chance after I read that. :wink:

Grub: I recall the line the author wrote about the flavor enhancers and aromas.  The one that stands out is how he could have sworn he was smelling a burger off the grill.  And it was just a test tube.  Wow.

The chapter about the artificial flavors and aromas was excerpted in The Atlantic Monthly about six months before the book was published. I still remember vividly that closing sentence, in which the author, with eyes closed, describes smelling burgers cooking on a grill--then he opens his eyes and all he sees is a guy in a lab coat holding a strip of test paper and smiling.

I've probably passed by International Flavors and Fragrances' (or was it IFF's chief competitor?) facility along the New Jersey Turnpike innumerable times. There's nothing on the outside to identify it.

The Atlantic Monthly is one of my favorite magazines, full of thought-provoking writing on a wide variety of subjects, including food, cooking and dining. I encourage all of you to pick up a copy sometime, or better still, subscribe.

In exchange, I will go buy a copy of Fast Food Nation as soon as I get paid again.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I was at the bank Halloween weekend and the teller and a customer were going on about a movie that was just being filmed here in Colorado Springs for a few days, at the teller's brother's fast food restaurant (Burger King I think she said) among other locations. (still with me?)

She said it was about the fast food industry and called "Coyote" something. The guys says "Coyote Ugly?" and she said no. Then it's my turn at the window and I ask "is it Fast Food Nation" and she said "yes!". She said everyone was really excited to see Bruce Willis and Greg Kinnear and said the crew was really nice to them, according to her brother.

They'd never heard of the book so I explained how Colorado Springs had a significant story line in there and that they should definitely read it.

I'm really curious how it's going to play out in movie form and can't wait to see it.

--Kelly

I thought this would be more in line for a documentary (ala Supersize Me) - but I'll go in with an open mind.

While neither of these projects have convinced me to stop my biannual trip to McDonalds for a Supersized Double Cheeseburger and Fries, they did open my eyes. I now try to support small farms whenever I can, am much more into organic food, and think about EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth...

I think the book Fast Food Nation and the movie Supersize Me, should be required for all children (and parents). I have a list of things that I believe in, and one of them is that we treat our vehicles better than our bodies...

If you liked Schlosser's book Fast Food Nation, he has another one called Reefer Madness that is a very interesting look at certain sectors of the "underground" economy.

Expat Russ

Three Passions:

Food

Travel<=click to go to my travel website...

BBQ and BQ<=click to go to my blog about trying to balance great food and qualifying for the Boston Marathon

And if it's a Hollywood movie, what are they going to do about a happy ending?  :hmmm:

Dana Lyons has the answer.

Clickety for happy ending. Flash required.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

The film was already made- Supersize Me. This upcoming movie is completely unneccesary and seems to be a studios grab at a piece of money-pie.

To me, Supersize me is more directly about the effects of fast food on the consumer. Schlosser's book is more about the systemic effects of the fast food industry on our society and economy.

They're different, although complementary, subjects.

I'm sure Linklater will make an interesting film. I imagine he will have to focus on a specific aspect of the book. Workers in the Fast Food industry, sounds like. Wish it was a real documentary, though.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I guess the movie could do what the book does so well: take the timeframe and compare the lifes of Walt Disney with the entrepreneurs behind Micky D's and other fast food companies.

The book is great... I read it when I first got to the CIA. I still think it should be required reading there. Very interesting. Also, very disturbing.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

IBP == Tyson? What's the connection between CIA and IBP?

IBP installed a wonderful Meat Fabrication room at the CIA. It's really beautiful. And as part of our curriculum, we have to watch IBP films showing how clean and sanitary and safe the IBP plants and methods are.

IBP installed a wonderful Meat Fabrication room at the CIA.  It's really beautiful.  And as part of our curriculum, we have to watch IBP films showing how clean and sanitary and safe the IBP plants and methods are.

Don't worry, FFB. Tyson bought up IBP, so you can call IBP's 1984-ish propaganda what it is.

IBP installed a wonderful Meat Fabrication room at the CIA.

Just down the hall from Vegetable Disinformation, I assume.

:wink::raz::biggrin:

Oh dear. I have a story about that, too. Hydroponic tomatoes. Chef Frank Lopez (we called him "F. Lo"), God rest his soul. My veggie professor.