• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One eGullet dish which was so alluring, enticing

Very impressive.  That must have taken some considerable time and patience.

Actually, Anna, somewhere in the depths of the files of eGullet, Rachel Perlow explains that it is not particularly difficult ... to me it looks quite complex ... :huh:

Exactly as Randi said, it's not hard, you just have to pay attention to it every 20 minutes for 3 hours. Coincidentially, I just wrote up a bunch of tips for TrishCT, who was also making the rainbow mold this weekend! Perhaps the three of us should work on a demo thread. For Jell-O! :laugh:

BTW Randi, it looks great, I love the idea of making them jigglers. But you forgot the orange! One of my tips, if you can't find orange (I've had this issue in the past), is that, in jello, a full box of red + a full box of yellow, DOES NOT equal orange. A box of yellow, plus a spoonful or two of red (do this once liquid) will work, add the red just a bit at a time. As I've explained before, the taste of these is just, um, Jello. The flavors blend, so it really isn't important that your orange tastes like cherry-lemon.

Another important tip is to premeasure your mold (measure how much water it will hold), and then calculate how many boxes you will need. For the regular mold, figure 1 2/3 cups per box (you don't use the full 2 cups of water as called for on the boxes).

I don't know about jigglers. Randi? (Seriously, we should start a fancy jello thread).

Exactly as Randi said, it's not hard, you just have to pay attention to it every 20 minutes for 3 hours. Coincidentially, I just wrote up a bunch of tips for TrishCT, who was also making the rainbow mold this weekend! Perhaps the three of us should work on a demo thread. For Jell-O! :laugh:

BTW Randi, it looks great, I love the idea of making them jigglers. But you forgot the orange! One of my tips, if you can't find orange (I've had this issue in the past), is that, in jello, a full box of red + a full box of yellow, DOES NOT equal orange. A box of yellow, plus a spoonful or two of red (do this once liquid) will work, add the red just a bit at a time. As I've explained before, the taste of these is just, um, Jello. The flavors blend, so it really isn't important that your orange tastes like cherry-lemon.

Another important tip is to premeasure your mold (measure how much water it will hold), and then calculate how many boxes you will need. For the regular mold, figure 1 2/3 cups per box (you don't use the full 2 cups of water as called for on the boxes).

I don't know about jigglers. Randi? (Seriously, we should start a fancy jello thread).

I didn't forget the orange, I just didn't have room for it. The mold was full! I was sad.

And I love the idea of the demo thread and/or a fancy jello thread!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

• 5 weeks later...

Many threads have inspired me to try many things. But nothing has cost me as much as the smoked brisket threads (that's right - I can't pinpoint one thread on this topic, as they are all inspiring).

I have smoked things in my time - mostly the poultry varieties. I used to have a trusty Webber Kettle - but it met it's demise a couple of years back. About a month ago I couldn't take it anymore! I NEEDED to smoke a brisket. So out I went to buy a smoker. Then I ordered a $100 brisket from my supplier :blink: . As I was prepping it... I was concerned. That's a lot of cash for it not to work. Up at 7:30 to start to coals. It was -20C. It was windy. The brisket, lovingly rubbed two days prior went on the smoker at 8:30 AM. By 9:00 PM it still wasn't done! I was concerned. I remembered reading on at least one thread that I could wrap it in foil and finish it in the oven - it would have absorbed a lot of smokiness in the .. umm... 13 hour it was already on the smoker. At 11 PM it came out of the oven - much too late for my dinner. But I had to have a bite... :wub: Oh my goodness!

(this image makes the brisket look lighter than it was - it had a nice dark finish on the outside):

gallery_25849_641_3093.jpg

Look at the smoke-ring!! :wub:

gallery_25849_641_15699.jpg

Money well spent. :biggrin:

Edited by Pam R (log)

(Ah Ling, fancy meeting you here just now..) :)

I've made Ling's caramel apple pie three times... next are the gingerbread biscotti.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria