• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Left over pork roast

jackal10

I have some roast pork shoulder leff over from last night.

What should I make with it?

Char sui Bao?

Stir fried/ double/triple cooked pork?

Sweet and sour?

Rillettes?

Pork stew (with or without beans)

Curry

What else?

Suggestions (and your favourites) please!

goulash, definitely goulash.

enchiladas are also a favorite in the Solomon household--but I usually look at those as a warmer weather food. Goulash warms the heart and soul.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Pork pot pie with lots of rich gravy, root vegetables, a chopped apple, sage and a couple pinches of allspice and dry mustard.

Or perhaps you could try your hand at a pork martini?

Edited by petite tête de chou (log)

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Pork pot pie with lots of rich gravy, root vegetables, a chopped apple, sage and a couple pinches of allspice and dry mustard.

Or perhaps you could try your hand at a pork martini?

Mmmm! I have been wanting something to do with Saturday's pork loin. This looks like a workable solution. The pot pie, not the (ugh! gag!) pork martini.

What I did with part of the leftover pork loin was similar to what petite tête de chou suggested but by dinner time I didn't feel like making crust so I served it with rice.

My daughter said it looked like it came out of a can bacause it was all diced so uniformly.

It was really very tasty and she liked it too..

Fake Memphis style BBQ sandwiches: Chop and/or

shred the pork, mix with BBQ sauce, warm in microwave,

pile on lightly toasted

big soft white bread bun,

add salt and squirts of really hot sauce,

top with coleslaw,

pop open cold beer,

turn on TV, enjoy.

What would be the right food and wine to go with

R. Strauss's 'Ein Heldenleben'?

I definitely agree with the Pork Fried Rice, Cubano and BBQ sandwich suggestions.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Last time I had left over roast pork loin I diced it up and made a pork, broccoli and cheddar quiche with it. It was nothing earth shattering but it was pretty good.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

You could easily convert the remainder into carnitas--shred it, moisten it just a bit with a little broth and/or a drizzle of oil, roast just until it gets some crispy bits, then serve in warmed soft corn tortillas topped with chopped cilantro, salsa fresca, plus lime wedges on the side.

Edited by mizducky (log)