• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butter Cookie Filling - HELP!

designerobsessed

How do I "thicken up" my raspberry jam so it doesn't squish out of a sandwich cookie? I made butter cookies this morning & I'd like to use it to make the sandwiched ones with the ends dipped in coconut-the kind you'd see on an italian cookie tray. Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone have a recipe for a chocolate ganache that can be used to pipe on top of a cookie?

Any suggestions would be appreciated - THANKS!!

I'm showing my geeky side here...but is there any kind of a kitchen vacuum device that you could use to put the jam under vacuum and just suck away the water? That way you wouldn't have the heat. (Don't know about other non-water components of jam flavor, whether you'd suck them away or if they'd be lost during the cooking down process anyway.)

MelissaH

Proud to be a geek!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I'm showing my geeky side here...but is there any kind of a kitchen vacuum device that you could use to put the jam under vacuum and just suck away the water? That way you wouldn't have the heat. (Don't know about other non-water components of jam flavor, whether you'd suck them away or if they'd be lost during the cooking down process anyway.)

Um.. how about putting the jam in a cheesecloth lined strainer and let it drip? Sorry, I don't know about any kitchen water-vacum... :smile:

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse