• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

need rest recs for willow grove area

Jeff L

A friend asked me if I knew of any good places in the Willow Grove area. They are meeting friends midway and that's where they will end up. I don't know this area too well so any help is appreciated.

My friends friend is a beer drinker and meat and potatoes type of guy. Wives will be along so greasy bars/taverns probably won't do.

Thanks

Isn't The Drafting Room - Springhouse not too far from Willow Grove? Couldn't be more than 15 minutes up Welsh Road to Bethlehem Pike from there. Good for the beer geeks and nice enough for the wives. Food is quite good too.

MAP

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Isn't The Drafting Room - Springhouse not too far from Willow Grove?  Couldn't be more than 15 minutes up Welsh Road to Bethlehem Pike from there.  Good for the beer geeks and nice enough for the wives.  Food is quite good too.

MAP

Yeah, I forgot about that place. I had lunch there a few years ago and was introduced to Smithwicks Irish beer (lager, ale?). It's really good in the style of those really great beers from Ireland. I noticed it's no longer on their menu, too bad indeed but a good choice to forward to my friend as the food was pretty good too. Thanks

A friend asked me if I knew of any good places in the Willow Grove area. They are meeting friends midway and that's where they will end up. I don't know this area too well so any help is appreciated.

My friends friend is a beer drinker and meat and potatoes type of guy. Wives will be along so greasy bars/taverns probably won't do.

Thanks

Another option is the Drafting Room in springhouse, personally I prefer Iron Hill myself but the Drafting room has a much larger selection of brews.

Otherwise the WG area is quite the culinary wasteland the many years I worked there.

The Blue Sage is also nearby, in Southampton. It is also vegetarian, but in my opinion is much better than Horizons. They seem to be going for a different audience, though: Horizons seems to cater to more hardcore vegetarians and vegans, while the Blue Sage is more of a place where veggies and their meatosaurus friends can all have a great dinner, though it may not be quite as healthy as Horizons.

the Drafting House is good also, but I like their Exton location better than the Spring House one.