• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookie filling

devlin

I'm wanting to make a linzer type cookie, only with something other than the usual fruit/jam type filling. Anybody have any unusual sorts of fillings for cookies on hand? Something other than fruit? Or chocolate?

What about boiling a can of sweetened condensed milk for some mock "Dulce de Leche"? It's delicious between cookies made with nuts. Even better with some bittersweet chocolate drizzled on top.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Have you considerd almond paste flavored with rose water or orange flower water?

It makes a delicious cookie filling. It isn't difficult to make your own.

And here's a hint for when you discover you have almond paste or marzipan that has hardened.

Simply cut it into slices about 1/2 inch thick and steam it for 5 to 8 minutes, check if it is soft, if not steam it a little longer then knead it until it is the consistence it is supposed to be.

If you want to use dried fruit as a filling, steam it instead of soaking it in water. It will retain more of its flavor but be nice and soft as you are essentially rehydrating it with the steam.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm wanting to make a linzer type cookie, only with something other than the usual fruit/jam type filling. Anybody have any unusual sorts of fillings for cookies on hand? Something other than fruit? Or chocolate?

I tasted a cookie in Italy, on slow fish festival. Called La sfratta.From Toscana.

it was a cake filled with chruced walnuts, honny, lemon, muscat, sugar,

(italien: Noci, miele, buccia dàrancia e cannella, farina, zucchero, vino bianco e olio)

I think the cake was made of, flower, olive oil, vhite vine

I always rost/( heat in oven) nuts before i use them in cakes.

Spisestedet På Høyden

Bergen, Norway

i'm partial to gianduja myself!! There's a fantastic recipe on epicurious for lemon curd filled little cookies as well...mmm lemon curd.

Xander: How exactly do you make cereal?

Buffy: Ah. You put the box near the milk. I saw it on the Food Channel.

-BtVS

If you're a purist, you may not like this idea, but there is a very tasty and popular cookie recipe I've made a few times (came out of a cooking magazine). The dough is wrapped around an Andes mint. Called Christmas package or surprise cookies or something like that - they're rectangular (like the mint) and the recipe suggests drizzling melted chocolate on the top in the shape of a bow.

"God give us good taste, why bother?" Captain Jim's Sushi Chef

no fruit, no chocolate. how about nutella...can't get any easier.

I actually made an orange curd for cookie filling this weekend, for 13 dozen cookies (!?!) to exchange with fellow eGulleters. The curd turned out well, but the cookie itself (choc base, topped with pistachios and candied ginger) was a bit too cakey. I was trying to adapt and amalgamate a couple different recipes.

Anyway, the "orange" curd is obviously fruit, but not in the jammy-sense.