• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Tasting Event

AzianBrewer

Hey all..

I am not sure if this is a right place to ask this question but won't hurt to give it a try. My friends and I are working on hosting a wine tasting event in NY. This of course is a seminar and our goal is to introduce newbies that there are world outside of Concha y Toro, Yellow Tail and Turning Leaf. Since, we will be serving alcohol and charge admission do we need to apply for a special event permit? Has anyone here done something similar to this before?

Cheers....

Leave the gun, take the canoli

You'll have to check the beverage laws of New York for a definite answer. In general, though, if you have this shindig at a restaurant, and you buy wine from the restaurant, you will be okay.

If you opt to have it somewhere other than a restaurant, you may need a one-day permit. Alternatively, you can avoid some potential hassles by using a caterer who has a retail license, and buying the wine from them.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero