• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

High Tea in NYC

SarahD

Who has a nice high tea these days suitable for taking out of town guests and/or relatives on a chilly winter's afternoon? I'd like to avoid the tourist fest of the Plaza hotel. I used to really like the one that Anglers & Writers put on, but sadly they're gone now.

High tea is traditionally more like supper, with heartier foods.

Afternoon tea, cream tea, etc., would be what I would look for.

The last time I was in New York, we stayed at the Ritz Carlton on Central Park South and had a delightful afternoon tea. I believe the Pierre also had one that was well-rated.

You might check this link

Guide to Tea shops at Cat-Tea corner.

The site is maintained by one of the owners of the Tea List, the email tea forum. Janis keeps everything wonderfully up to date.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My Jane Austen friends and I have done lots of NY afternoon teas but never at the hoity toity places. They were all pretty fond of the Anglers & Writers teas as well. Personally, I'm a big fan of the authenticity of Tea and Sympathy but the no-reservation policy makes it a very NOT good place to take your relatives on chilly winter afternoons.

If you liked the A&S vibe, I would recommend checking out Alice's Tea Cup at 73rd & Columbus. Their Alice-in-Wonderland atmosphere won't satisfy anyone looking for turned-up-pinkie action but their food is delicious, their staff is friendly, their tea list extensive, and their mocha chocolate chip cake is to die for (and included in most teas). I believe they still take reservations for parties five and larger and the last time we all got together it was a big hit.

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four

Not sure if this is still true but if you want a genuine English afternoon tea experience and don't mind the wait, Tea and Sympathy on Greenwich is the place. A little more upscale used to be the tea at the Mark hotel on the upper east side.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Not sure if this is still true but if you want a genuine English afternoon tea experience and don't mind the wait, Tea and Sympathy on Greenwich is the place.  A little more upscale used to be the tea at the Mark hotel on the upper east side.

I haven't been there in a year, but the Mark is way to go. I've never seen the room full, you can stay for hours if you want, endless hot water for your fine qualtity tea leaves and good food. Good value for the money, I think its in the $30-35 range. It is a very traditional English china type room.

i too am looking for a place for tea (probably cream tea) with my visiting sister on friday afternoon...i'll be in midtown and am thinking the st regis or the drake, where Fauchon has a salon, might be fun. anyone have thoughts on either of these? if consensus is that tea & sympathy is the way to go, i'd be more than happy to jet downtown.

T Salon, 20th Street between Fifth and Broadway. Also a bit pricey, but has the advantage of also being a retail shop with lots of excellent (and pricey) teas and tea paraphernalia.

And I've never been, but there's also:

- Lady Mendl's, in The Inn on Irving Place (Irving between 17th and 18th). The only drawback (besides the $35 price) is that the owner also owns the space Verbena was forced out of.

- Payard Patisserie does tea, although not necessarily British afternoon tea.

If you liked the A&S vibe, I would recommend checking out Alice's Tea Cup at 73rd & Columbus.  Their Alice-in-Wonderland atmosphere won't satisfy anyone looking for turned-up-pinkie action but their food is delicious, their staff is friendly, their tea list extensive, and their mocha chocolate chip cake is to die for (and included in most teas).  I believe they still take reservations for parties five and larger and the last time we all got together it was a big hit.

I love Alice's Tea Cup, although some folks might consider it to be a bit too precious. Also, lotsa UWS moms with their kids so the place can get noisy, especially on weekends. BTW, the scones are also excellent.

• 1 year later...

The sous chefs from Blackberry Farm are hitting NYC next month to eat all we can eat in 3 days, and I want to see (and eat!) the best tea service there. Any suggestions? And what bakeries should we not miss?

The standard-bearer for formal afternoon tea is, in my opinion, the St. Regis. I was just there last weekend and can confirm that it is at the same quality level as ever, though they've increased the selection of snacks in the assortment somewhat and they've added a friendly but superfluous "tea sommelier."

There are plenty of other choices, especially the Waldorf and the Mark. The Waldorf is a bigger space and is fun for people-watching and piano music played on Cole Porter's piano. The Mark is very intimate and clubby. The St. Regis falls somewhere in between.

All these places serve what a lot of people refer to as "high tea," which I believe is correctly called "afternoon tea" or just "tea." High tea is an actual meal, as in dinner, as far as I know.

In terms of bakeries, there are bakeries as in bread and there are bakeries as in pastries. For bread I'd check out Pain Quotidien (any of the branches), Balthazar and Sullivan Street at least, maybe Amy's too. For pastries, Payard and Fauchon would be good places to start.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)