• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Char Siu Bao or Roast Pork Bun(s)

Anonymouze

I think what I'm looking for in/near Bergen County NJ is what it's called. I love hot "roasted pork buns" and I hate having to go to the "chinese market" in edison for it. I got some today at the market in river edge but they were "packaged" I was looking for some fresh or perhaps a local chinese bakery? Has anyone found any good places to either order it (like take out/delivery) or to buy it like in a supermarket (or chinese bakery?) Thank you all in advance for your help, I used to go to a great Bakery on Mott St but when I drove through this summer I didn't see the bakery around. Maybe I missed it? It was near the church for many years I think it was called Luong Fong Bakery (or Hong Fat? I forget) or something like that... Thanks again.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Check the thread for DIm Sum Palace in RIdgewood. I think 2 people have already said they were they have the best bao they ever had! I was planning a trip there just to pick some up.

Dana

I think what I'm looking for in/near Bergen County NJ is what it's called. I love hot "roasted pork buns" and I hate having to go to the "chinese market" in edison for it. I got some today at the market in river edge but they were "packaged" I was looking for some fresh or perhaps a local chinese bakery?  Has anyone found any good places to either order it (like take out/delivery) or to buy it like in a supermarket (or chinese bakery?) Thank you all in advance for your help, I used to go to a great Bakery on Mott St but when I drove through this summer I didn't see the bakery around. Maybe I missed it? It was near the church for many years I think it was called Luong Fong Bakery (or Hong Fat? I forget) or something like that... Thanks again.

I called the Dim Sum Dynasty to see if they were running any holiday specials they are going to have a "prix fixe" menu for Thanksgiving. (Reservations highly recommended) I reserved a table for 2 (I hate cooking - LOL!) in case hubby wants to try that for a change of venue! Thanks, I'll ask them if I can pick up a few sandwiches for "lunch" during the week.

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

I think what I'm looking for in/near Bergen County NJ is what it's called. I love hot "roasted pork buns" and I hate having to go to the "chinese market" in edison for it. I got some today at the market in river edge but they were "packaged" I was looking for some fresh or perhaps a local chinese bakery?  Has anyone found any good places to either order it (like take out/delivery) or to  (or Hong Fat? I forget) or something like that... Thanks again.

I order them from a local Chinese Take Out place -- East Garden, here in West Orange.

I've seen two different types through the years... a steamed version...which I've had at those buffet places and purchased in packages of 12 from the Chinese supermarket in Edison or Green Brook area. East Garden's are like the kind sold in the bakery section of Captain Fresh Supermarket.. a dough almost like a sweet roll... larger than the steamed buns. Almost shaped like a potato roll, with a golden brown color. The East Garden take out menu lists them for 1.35 each.

I'd check local Chinese take out places near you. The buns are usually listed under appetizers.

You can get them in the Chinese supermarket (King Fung) on Kinderkamack Road in River Edge. I beleive Jollibee in Bergenfield also carries them.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I think what I'm looking for in/near Bergen County NJ is what it's called. I love hot "roasted pork buns" and I hate having to go to the "chinese market" in edison for it. I got some today at the market in river edge but they were "packaged" I was looking for some fresh or perhaps a local chinese bakery?  Has anyone found any good places to either order it (like take out/delivery) or to  (or Hong Fat? I forget) or something like that... Thanks again.

I order them from a local Chinese Take Out place -- East Garden, here in West Orange.

I've seen two different types through the years... a steamed version...which I've had at those buffet places and purchased in packages of 12 from the Chinese supermarket in Edison or Green Brook area. East Garden's are like the kind sold in the bakery section of Captain Fresh Supermarket.. a dough almost like a sweet roll... larger than the steamed buns. Almost shaped like a potato roll, with a golden brown color. The East Garden take out menu lists them for 1.35 each.

I'd check local Chinese take out places near you. The buns are usually listed under appetizers.

Where in West Orange is East Garden? Not all that familiar, but may hunt it down for those buns.

KamMan also sells the steamed doughy version, lots of dough a little filling, in thier bakery section. They have a number of different kinds too, my daughter likes the hot dog bun.

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

KamMan also sells the steamed doughy version, lots of dough a little filling, in thier bakery section.  They have a number of different kinds too, my daughter likes the hot dog bun.

AlisonA

And who wouldn't like a hot dog bun?? I commend your duaghter on her clearly elevated pallete :wink:

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

KamMan also sells the steamed doughy version, lots of dough a little filling, in thier bakery section.  They have a number of different kinds too, my daughter likes the hot dog bun.

AlisonA

And who wouldn't like a hot dog bun?? I commend your duaghter on her clearly elevated pallete :wink:

Okay don't laugh but my favorite hot dog bun is the "potato" roll/long bun. GOD it tastes great. Also, yes I got them from the chinese market in river edge however they're not "fresh" but they told me on the weekend (sunday) they have them fresh so I'll have to run on over and check... thanks everyone!

Where in West Orange is East Garden?  Not all that familiar, but may hunt it down for those buns.

AlisonA

East Garden Gourmet & Chinese Cuisine

981 Pleasant Valley Way

West Orange, NJ 07052-1801

Phone: (973) 736-4609

It is in the little strip mall of stores -- along with a dry cleaners, a Krauszer's and Ralphs Deli... just north of Starlite Pizza (at the intersection of Mt Pleasant Ave (aka Route 10))-- near Metropolitan Plant Exchange.