• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Restaurant Makeover

nwyles

I'm thinking a LOT could be done for $40k (assuming nothing major needs to be done in the kitchen), especially when you consider that tweeking a menu doesn't really cost anything.

Does the Chef Consultant work for the show and not draw any money from the budget?

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Does the Chef Consultant work for the show and not draw any money from the budget?

Those details are never really discussed in the show.

Ultimately, tired & struggling restaurants get the sort of

makeover (and publicity) for a mere $10-20 grand that they

would otherwise not have the time/energy/imagination/money

to undertake.

Damian du Plessis

Bravo Restaurant & Lounge

Chilliwack, BC

Haven't been to the Tapastree in a year or so...but always felt that the room needed "help". Popular hang-out in a hip neighbourhood with good food at reasonable prices. The show usually matches the money put up by the restaurant to a max of $20 grand (for a total of 40, or more if the owners want to spend more themselves). You could do a great overhaul of that place with a budget like that. (Never underestimate the role decor/ambience plays in the success of a restaurant).

I also immediately thought of Tapastree. The food is good, but the decor is really dated and too "busy." It's also the right size for that show.

I nominate Raincity Grill.

Really ?

What specifically would you do ?

I thought I might get some reaction.

Raincity Grill is fine as it is, I just think it could be tweaked and really live up to its potential. To me the room looks tired, it needs some updating, a better and more comfortable entry way, new colours. The layout, with the raised portion in the middle, really cuts up the room. The outside view isn't going anywhere, but that is not an excuse to ignore the inside of the room. Much of the year it is dark and rainy and there is no outside view, the room should stand on its own.

I can't speak about the kitchen as that's not something I know about.

As for the menu, I think any menu can benefit from some tweaking.

I know easy to say, maybe not so easy to do, but you asked the question. Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Anne

Re RCG: So I'll bite - why is the room raised in the middle and dropped in the back?

How about Opus Elixir? I am not a fan of the restaurant space. The chairs in the garden room are brutally uncomfortable and it is too noisy/bright sound-wise for a nice dinner. The rest of the room is so broken up. We had dinner there the other night and were placed "under" the bar. Nels looked straight into the kitchen and all the wait staff did a pivot turn beside our table. There was a table of hockey fans seated above us who talked loudly down into our meal. I looked around the room and couldn't see a good table. I desparately wanted to leave. We stayed and endured. And as for the curtained off room. What's with that?

Bit of a rant - sorry Neil.

How about the Bins? They are looking a bit tired, dark and dim and IMHO are overly noisy. They are so small the budget might go a long way.

Cheers,

Karole

I nominate Raincity Grill.

Really ?

What specifically would you do ?

I thought I might get some reaction.

Raincity Grill is fine as it is, I just think it could be tweaked and really live up to its potential. To me the room looks tired, it needs some updating, a better and more comfortable entry way, new colours. The layout, with the raised portion in the middle, really cuts up the room. The outside view isn't going anywhere, but that is not an excuse to ignore the inside of the room. Much of the year it is dark and rainy and there is no outside view, the room should stand on its own.

I can't speak about the kitchen as that's not something I know about.

As for the menu, I think any menu can benefit from some tweaking.

I know easy to say, maybe not so easy to do, but you asked the question. Just my opinion.

I agree - there's nothing glaringly wrong with RCG, but the room feels cramped to me. Removing the "stage" in the middle of the room would, in effect, raise the ceiling and give patrons some breathing room. I'm also not a fan of window mullions - since the view seems to be such a big part of the place, why not replace the existing windows with uninterrupted glass?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

• 3 months later...