• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Restaurant Makeover

nwyles

Word on the street is the Food Network show, Restaurant Makeover is looking at Vancouver.

With that in mind, which tried and true Vancouver restaurants do you think could use a "makeover", a freshen up, dragged into the new century

No mean spirited bullshit : that would just show you did not read the title.

Back up your comments with a suggestion, and if you can not provide that, stay out of the game.

I will start.

Hamilton Street Grill :

1. Get rid of the bistro chairs, soooo 1985 ! And get something comfortable

2. Add some partitions, break up the room a little, it is too boxxy. Add some drapes and a glass wall or two.

3. Starter side of the menu needs to be freshened up with some new ideas. Stop resting your laurels on the hanger steak and make a new appy.

4. Cocktail list is the same as the day that you opened the place. It needs some work. Call Chris Stearns.

5. Bathrooms need some love. ( I know : Try co-ordinating a designer, a plumber and a contractor in this raging market. ) New walls, lighting, vanity etc.

You get the picture.

Carry on.

Disclosure : I am working on all of the above. It just does not happen very fast.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Don't be going all LillyKate on us now, Neil.

Some restaurant renovations lose intimacy when they're madeover. I often think of Lorenzo's, at Fouth and Dunbar, where we used to pile in for scampi and skillet steaks. It was steamy with wet wool and Chianti--and great fun. Then the owner tore it down, built a condo mid-rise and reinstalled his 'dream' restaurant. Whoops--the spark was gone and now he's leased it to a Greek also-ran.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I think there are a lot of places on Fourth Avenue and Commercial Drive can use restaurant makeovers. Downtown as well..

One of the places that I think has true potential is Beijing Restaurant next to Earls Paramount. The flat poorly lit sign could be scrapped, and the interior redone to make it more classy or casual, depending on what they strive towards. The restaurant I believe can't make up it's mind with the lighting - whether it wants to go full blast and bright like many Asian restaurants do or an evening romantic dim. It also has a bar (sort of) as well.. they could make that a bit more glamourous and not just a storage of liquors. The menu could also be more reflective of its location - classic Chinese but adventurous, rather than offering the usual banquet fare.

Or Kalypso Ouzeria on Robson - that location has a huge outlooking patio with huge potential for the summer. The interior décor can be redone to be a bit more lively and jazzed up - like their acclaimed belly dancing events. The food could use a major overhaul as I well. Although the menu offers a lot of selections, it's poorly executed and needs to have a focus. They also need a wine cellar/storage/shelf of some sort to keep their wines too - not just leaving it in the cooler.

There are a lot of also Carribean restaurants on Commercial Drive that could have so much more potential if they had the right marketing plan. A lot of them have a tacky, cluttered look which doesn't match their food - flavourful, and packing a punch. Of course because many of these restaurants have menus where entrees are never exceeding 15, making them low in the financial side, it would make them a perfect Restaurant Makeover candidate I would think.

Edited by kontemporary (log)

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

My guests have spoken and I have listened.

Neil,

Think $30K would do HSG justice? That's the bill ... 15K from the show, 15K from the restaurant.

I like the show, and honestly, you only need the physical upgrade ... although the plasmas are a nice start. They also "upgrade" the menu, which IMO you don't really need.

Now ... Monsoon on the other hand ... they would get my vote. I used to love that place. Now I just find it tired and predictable.

A.

Neil,

Think $30K would do HSG justice? That's the bill ... 15K from the show, 15K from the restaurant.

I like the show, and honestly, you only need the physical upgrade ... although the plasmas are a nice start. They also "upgrade" the menu, which IMO you don't really need.

Now ... Monsoon on the other hand ... they would get my vote. I used to love that place. Now I just find it tired and predictable.

A.

In all honesty I would wonder what menu recommendations they would give Mr. Wyles.. but doesn't Restaurant Makeover require that your business be in some sort of position where you are not operating on a profit ?

Edited by kontemporary (log)

Virginia Woolf

Neil,

A.

In all honesty I would wonder what menu recommendations they would give Mr. Wyles.. but doesn't Restaurant Makeover require that your business be in some sort of position where you are not operating on a profit ?

I do not know about that. That has not been my impression. Just that some things needed tweaking.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Neil,

A.

No, 30K is not enough. My restaurant is too large for this show. 30k would get eaten up pretty quick.

A menu upgrade ? It would be an interesting exercise having some "T.V. Chef" come in and give you suggestions ? Nothing like having your balls snipped off on national television.

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

That show also tweaks the menu hey? In fact I think they like to have a place which has potentially awesome food. Sorry Neil your yam fries can't be improved (can they??)

I was thinking of the Jang Mo Jib on Kingsway which seriously needs a makeover. Those diner style booths are so ridiculous and the false ceiling screams office. But I think it might have closed down already.

How about Hawker's Delight? Too small? That place needs some in-wall tables, a new colour scheme and maybe an overhaul on the lighting.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Although I haven't been there for a really long time, Papi's in Steveston springs to mind, the last time I walked by I saw those same dusty pastel colours and such. Being in it's location, I'd think it would be a reasonably good candidate, (I'm thinking about the show that they did the makeover in Niagra Falls), and how about Steveston Seafood House? Martini's finally did a much needed decor update, their menu obviously keeps them busy..... I'm guessing hotel owned dining properties would be out of the question or anything not basically solely owned and operated, ie., no umbrella corporation controlling the strings.

As much as I absolutely love the place, especially the food and the personnel, Wazubeez on Commercial Drive could use some update on furniture and could really use some air-conditioning in the summer, (or another couple of those giant fans). :smile:

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

FWIW, Neil, I think your bathroom is just fine...(don't know about the Men's of course :unsure:), and I'm a bit meh about the glass thingies. But new cushy chairs are welcome everywhere I park my ...self. :biggrin: I'm only very slowly working my way through your cocktail list, so I don't personally see the need for a big rush on that, either, although I'm sure Chris would liven up any drinks menu.

I can't think of any restaurant I go to often that I would change much...but I'm not much of a decorator. Even the Beatty Street Bar & Grill, which is a bit hideous on the eyes, is a sports bar at heart, so the quality of the TVs (decent) and amount of Trevor Linden memorabilia (acceptable :biggrin:) is more important than the colour of the walls.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

5. Bathrooms need some love. ( I know : Try co-ordinating a designer, a plumber and a contractor in this raging market. ) New walls, lighting, vanity etc.

Yeah ... it's a real shame you don't know any designers ... :rolleyes:

I'm watching the show right now, and I swear I would have gone balistic on "top designer" Sherry Stinson within the first 5 minutes! Jeez what a prima dona ... Igor the contractor puts up with A LOT!

Speaking as a designer, some of the rooms I frequent that I would like to see changed are:

1) HSG. I don't think I'd change the layout, just colours & materials. (I already have a home for a few of the posters.) I'd go quarter-sawn white oak in a combination of natural and bark brown (various parts of the room). Oxford brown leather to match for the banquettes, Capri Limestone (Silestone) for the bar. Black slate floors.

2) Shiro Sushi. I'm here at least once a week, so I've had time to form an opinion. I wouldn't make too many changes, but I'd re-do all the millwork as it looks like it was done cheaply to begin with.

3) Rangoli. Change the frickin' chairs! Easiest makeover ever!

4) Diner. Lower the ceiling. The whole 16' ceiling thing make the room sound too cavernous which IMO is the wrong vibe for a diner. I'd also beef up the springs in the banquettes ... minor issue.

Another room I would have changed is Pear Tree in Burnaby, but they beat me too it!

Anyone else?

A.

3) Rangoli.  Change the frickin' chairs!  Easiest makeover ever!

Isn't that what is a common topic in the Nu thread? :smile:

Another room I would have changed is Pear Tree in Burnaby, but they beat me too it!

Still looking forward to your review? :smile:

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

I'm watching the show right now,

You`re a braver man than me, as lame as this show is,i can not watch it. as it`s too cringeworthy for my tender eyes.

4) Diner.  Lower the ceiling.  The whole 16' ceiling thing make the room sound too cavernous which IMO is the wrong vibe for a diner.  I'd also beef up the springs in the banquettes ... minor issue.

I`ll disagree on that one, i find it airy, fresh and open, and all the better for the high ceilling. And i`m not just trying to be argumentative.

A hidden band of acoustic insulation behind the large menu could absorb some of the sound as it bounces round. but saying that the 'noise' is no problem in my mind.

Mr Wyles $30K on a new improved signature lemon meringue pie recipe ?

tt

Yeah ... it's a real shame you don't know any designers ... :rolleyes:

I'm watching the show right now, and I swear I would have gone balistic on "top designer" Sherry Stinson within the first 5 minutes! Jeez what a prima dona ... Igor the contractor puts up with A LOT!

Speaking as a designer, some of the rooms I frequent that I would like to see changed are:

1) HSG. I don't think I'd change the layout, just colours & materials. (I already have a home for a few of the posters.) I'd go quarter-sawn white oak in a combination of natural and bark brown (various parts of the room). Oxford brown leather to match for the banquettes, Capri Limestone (Silestone) for the bar. Black slate floors.

2) Shiro Sushi. I'm here at least once a week, so I've had time to form an opinion. I wouldn't make too many changes, but I'd re-do all the millwork as it looks like it was done cheaply to begin with.

3) Rangoli. Change the frickin' chairs! Easiest makeover ever!

4) Diner. Lower the ceiling. The whole 16' ceiling thing make the room sound too cavernous which IMO is the wrong vibe for a diner. I'd also beef up the springs in the banquettes ... minor issue.

Anyone else?

A.

It is too bad I do not know any designers !!!

The problem is getting them together.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions. This thread is not about blowing sunshine up my %#@, but some real thought into what you would do etc. I am glad for the responses. We have some glass vanities and walls ( not see through ) planned for the bathrooms BTW )

Arne, next time you are in, check out the mirror work in the private room. Really changes things ( Duh ! )

TFA : I would probably hire that recipe out to some high priced consultant, some sort of lemon expert. I am a one trick pony in the dessert Dept. and that trick is the GBP

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

There are some old Vancouver stalwarts that could use some tweaking - but as Jamie says, the difficulty is making improvements without throttling the soul out of the place. Places like Topanga, the Naam and Water Street Cafe have been around forever. Could they use a little tweak? Maybe. But I suspect that (given what I have seen of the show) that the redesign could do more harm than good.

Then there are places that really need a rescuing - but I wonder if the current owners/managers have the desire to make the leap. One place that stands out in my mind is the Only Cafe. Not just because it has such a nice neon sign - but because I remember going there for my first clam chowder and remembering how delicous it was. As new Canandians making their may in Canada - it was probably where my parents had there first taste of western style seafood and liking it. Alas- it is probably too late for the Only.

As for the 30k budget - is that for material and labour? It always strikes me that the budget is basically for materials and the show supplies the labour and consultants. It which case, would'nt the value of the renovation would be closer to 60k?

You know who really should spend some money on renovations? Tojos - please, the 80's are over. Spend some money on paint - if for no other reason then to cover up the scuffs and dings.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

I've already said on another thread that I wish Locus would get a makeover. Paint it cream, add light, open it up. Renovate, tweak the menu and it would be packed every day. It's got a great location and the owner's smiling face brightens up the block. It has so much potential.

As for HSG, why not make it a temple honoring the GBP? Shades of ginger, pumpkin, and cream in sumptuous Bordello-chic fabrics. I was thinking that if you made a version of this dessert in chocolate form, you may have an eGullet stampede to contend with. I say riff on a good thing-try a lemon version with another interesting ice cream combo. When you go to a pub in England, they often have a whole menu of just such puddings. It's comfort food that never goes out of style. Around Christmas I start to crave the steamed Christmas pudding with eggnog ice cream, rum, and "hard" sauce. My grandma's Christmas recipe has grated carrots in it, but I think I'll use my sticky toffee recipe this year instead. I think she just made the pudding as a vehicle for the rum anyway! Bless her.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I've already said on another thread that I wish Locus would get a makeover. Paint it cream, add light, open it up. Renovate, tweak the menu and it would be packed every day.

That also reminds of other places:

Subeez on Commercial: Garlic fries good, 3 inch layer of dust and candle wax bad (and change the music tape while we are at it - there is only so much Bauhaus one can take).

Havana: Should'nt the menu have something remotely connected with Cuba?

Hon's Wonton: Okay - it is what it is... but, could they not use stained and scuffed plastic plates and bowls. And take your pick, Windex, Pinesol, or Mr. Clean, but please a little clean up on aisle 5. Dirty hole in the wall does NOT equate to authentic Chinese food.

Oops - have I strayed from Neil's orginal posting about being nice and not using this as a personal vent. Sorry.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

You know who really should spend some money on renovations?  Tojos - please, the 80's are over.  Spend some money on paint - if for no other reason then to cover up the scuffs and dings.

Wow I totally agree. For a restaurant at that price point it really ought to LOOK a lot better. I'd like to see their chef consultant try to improve Tojo's menu though. That ought to make for a good show.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Haven't been to the Tapastree in a year or so...but always felt that the room needed "help". Popular hang-out in a hip neighbourhood with good food at reasonable prices. The show usually matches the money put up by the restaurant to a max of $20 grand (for a total of 40, or more if the owners want to spend more themselves). You could do a great overhaul of that place with a budget like that. (Never underestimate the role decor/ambience plays in the success of a restaurant).

Damian du Plessis

Bravo Restaurant & Lounge

Chilliwack, BC

Based on the episode I watched last night, the budget has been changed. It is as bigdaddy said^ ... $20K from the restaurant and $20K from the show for a total of $40K.

They were at the restaurant for 6 days this episode.

3 labourers x $40/hour x 10 hour days x 6 days = $7200 ... call it $7500 in labour. That leaves $32.5K in material, which will be purchased at builders' cost or less.

I'm thinking a LOT could be done for $40k (assuming nothing major needs to be done in the kitchen), especially when you consider that tweeking a menu doesn't really cost anything.

A.

Lombardo's. Everything could be improved. First, new tables and chairs - ones that don't wobble, and ones with some cushioning would be nice. Then fix up the bathrooms, add some lighting and fix the leaky faucets. And anything that would improve the sour-looking pizza thrower's disposition. Man, to put up with all of that just for a really good slice. Sigh. :sad:

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

Lombardo's.  Everything could be improved.  First, new tables and chairs - ones that don't wobble, and ones with some cushioning would be nice.  Then fix up the bathrooms, add some lighting and fix the leaky faucets.  And anything that would improve the sour-looking pizza thrower's disposition.  Man, to put up with all of that just for a really good slice.  Sigh.  :sad:

Didn't Lombardo's recently undergo a renovation?

Virginia Woolf

Lombardo's.  Everything could be improved.  First, new tables and chairs - ones that don't wobble, and ones with some cushioning would be nice.  Then fix up the bathrooms, add some lighting and fix the leaky faucets.  And anything that would improve the sour-looking pizza thrower's disposition.  Man, to put up with all of that just for a really good slice.  Sigh.   :sad:

Oh, now you've got me all excited....! I haven't been for a couple of months. How recent? Anybody??

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

Lombardo's.  Everything could be improved.  First, new tables and chairs - ones that don't wobble, and ones with some cushioning would be nice.  Then fix up the bathrooms, add some lighting and fix the leaky faucets.  And anything that would improve the sour-looking pizza thrower's disposition.  Man, to put up with all of that just for a really good slice.  Sigh.   :sad:

Oh, now you've got me all excited....! I haven't been for a couple of months. How recent? Anybody??

Unless the renovation was designed to increase the wobble of the table & chairs and go downmarket in the bathrooms, no sign of a contractor here as of last month.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com