• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gazette article on Quebec City

brab

basically that it is awesome and the level of excitement and quality is putting montreal to shame

from what i have heard it is really rocking in quebec city these days

u'topie looked amazing

the architectural menu at one of the restos looked a bit contrived to me but it looked pretty

cant wait to go and try

maybe lesley can do a resume since the gazette web site is somehow unavailble unless you pay for it

It's actually a two-page spread: a long article about high-end, cutting-edge joints, a shorter article about bistros, several colour photos and a contact info list. Maybe an online subscriber will offer to forward electronic copies of the articles to you. Alternatively, I can snail-mail you the section. If interested, PM me an address.

Edited by carswell (log)

im headed to quebec soon. overnighting at manoir victoria and eating at l'initiale. what else should i include in my plans? I didn't see the article, so could you let me know what was said (in brief)? make it cheap, since manoir victoria and l'initiale should set me back a hefty chunk.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

Unfortunately I wasn't there long enough to get to all the restos on my list, and those included Toast, Panache and Yuzu. I was only there for 3 days and it poured with rain the whole time. Thank God for the restaurants.

As for the other places, there's always next year...

Thanks to all for your replies. Spent a few days in Quebec City last summer and was curious about other perceptions. Stayed happily at the Dominion, a relatively peaceful haven from the bustle. Had one spectacular dinner at Panache (best lamb ever) and went back not so successfully the next night after unfortunately being warned off Utopie by our concierge. Have regretted it ever since and especially now after enthusiastic Utopian reports.

• 1 month later...

I'm going myself in Quebec city for xmas... We will be staying at le priori (good deal could be found on bonjourquebec.com). For dinner I have to choose between Utopie, Initiale, LR and Panache; I haven't been to any of those places and since this is our xmas gift to one another, I'd like to get it right... So: one meal, which one to choose? All these options seems great but I' like to see what you have to write... Thanks all,

Salomon

All those restaurants have merit, but I would say if you're kind of wild go for Laurie, if you're conservative you'll like L'Initiale, and if you're up for something rather Zen and innovative try L'Utopie. It's tough to recommend one over another because they are all so different.

My fav was L'Utopie -- by far.

• 3 weeks later...

...so we finally when to panache; it was amazing!

We went for the degustation menu. Incredible quality of food along with very good wine pairing. It sure was a night that a will remember for a long time. I haven't been to either l'intiale, LR or l'Utopie, but I can't imagine having a better experience somewhere else.

A very special thumb's up to Jean-Simon, the maitre d'hôtel who made the whole experience even better. Very professional, kind and passionate about food. The service was simply impeccable. And the dining room (and hotel bar) looks great. I couldn't recommend it enough!