• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Global BC Food + Restaurant Segments

jamiemaw

Global BC will begin a series of feature segments on its newscasts next Monday evening. They'll look into the travails of opening a restaurant, the international attention garnered by the city, and several other topics.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Global BC will begin a series of feature segments on its newscasts next Monday evening. They'll look into the travails of opening a restaurant, the international attention garnered by the city, and several other topics.

The segment that aired tonight was excellent! And, wow, what a beautiful kitchen that West has, very impresssive.

Looking forward to tomorrows feature.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

The segment that aired tonight was excellent! And, wow, what a beautiful kitchen that West has, very impresssive.

Looking forward to tomorrows feature.

Same segment on the morning news. I wonder if this is the first time Andy Lynes has been mentioned on Canadian television :rolleyes:

Nice feature ... congrats to West!

A.

Does anyone know the exact times of the broadcast? (channel 11 news @ 6pm & 11pm?)

And anyone have the details on the first segment? I didn't catch it..  :sad:

Global TV Cable channel 11 (if using bunny ears, channel 8 :laugh: ), the segment was shown at about 6:30 p.m., yesterday evening and this evening. DaddyA mentioned that it was on the Morning News show, which starts at 5:30 a.m. and continues until 9:00 a.m. Don't know what time exactly the feature is shown in the morning, but I'd imagine it would be somewhere past 7:30 :unsure: .

The first segement, Monday night/Tuesday morning featured the mention by Andy Lynes, of London's Indepedent, as West being included in the Global Top Ten List of restaurants, as posted by Jamie here.

They showed film of the restaurant kitchen and dining area, talked with David Hawksworth and Brian Hopkins, and guests were dining and meals being created during the interview with David.

Tuesday evening featured an interview with John Bishop and film of Bishop's during dinner service. He discussed how when he opened in 1985, he would have been surprised if he stayed in business past five years. People didn't go out much for fine dining then, if dining at all, and there weren't very many choices of places to enjoy a good meal out anyway. Mentioned that now most places and young(ish) :smile: chefs have increased focus on grown/produced in B.C. products and how Canada and Vancouver has become a destination spot for cuisine excellence as well as the other things that we were formerly a tourist destination for.

Looking forward to tomorrows show, it's supposed to be featuring ethnic cuisine restaurants, and how ethnic cuisine in Vancouver has grown and changed (dramatically :wub: ). I'd hazard a guess that Vij's will get a mention, just a hunch. :wink:

ETA oops I forgot, the Iron Chef win of Rob Feenie was shown, where his name was announced as the winner and his stunned realization that it was his name said, and then a couple of minutes of interview footage with him in his chef's whites, with him discussing, that if anything, his win on the show was good for bringing international focus to all the quality cuisine in Vancouver.

ETA darn, how could I have forgotten to mention Jamie Maw, thanks kontemporary. I can still see him typing away on his VAIO®. :smile:

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

courtesy of jsolomon

Ah yes, I managed to catch it tonight. It's on about halfway through the news hour for all of you wondering - tonight it was after the sports brief. The piece itself is not very long - but it does make highlight on Vancouver's cuisine and hopefully make more peopel aware of our thriving restaurant industry.

~cayenne~ has all of it covered. There was also a clip with Jamie Maw talking about Vancouver and its 'fusion'. :smile:

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Ah yes, I managed to catch it tonight. It's on about halfway through the news hour for all of you wondering - tonight it was after the sports brief. The piece itself is not very long - but it does make highlight on Vancouver's cuisine and hopefully make more peopel aware of our thriving restaurant industry.

~cayenne~ has all of it covered. There was also a clip with Jamie Maw talking about Vancouver and its 'fusion'.  :smile:

No. Merged left.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Well, I was hoping for something more exciting and enlightening. Should have known better I guess, being Global. Sure enough Vikram Vij was highlighted, as well as Tojo of course. No problem there, but, dare I say, old news? I was hoping for some new highlights for the viewing public, being that there is so much more to choose from, with ethnic cuisine choices, and the variety of price ranges and locations. There are so many other choices of ethnic cuisine outside of the area of populated by Vij's and Tojo's, which is a very small area in the greater picture of the G.V.A.

courtesy of jsolomon

Interesting interview with Michael Noble in the Earls development kitchens; and "Chuck-Hell-o-Feenie" at the White Spot.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Interesting interview with Michael Noble in the Earls development kitchens; and "Chuck-Hell-o-Feenie" at the White Spot.

I must have missed that segment.... unless you are referring to something upcoming.... or perhaps this is what aired tonight????

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I must have missed that segment.... unless you are referring to something upcoming.... or perhaps this is what aired tonight????

It aired tonight; will likely repeat later if it's a slow news night.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

• 2 weeks later...

I have been drifting between Global and A-Channel news in the mornings lately (and not just because of Astrid Braunschmidt, the younger, more Canadian Nigella. Really) and A-Channel seems to feature a local Island chef just about every morning. Today they did a segment on the Culinary Arts program at Malispina College, which sadly I missed for fear of being late for work. The segments are quite "rustic" (as RF would call them) in comparison to the gloss of Global, but some are interesting nonetheless. Anyone else watching this on the Island?

This morning was all about the wine.

A gentleman from CedarCreek (unfortunately I've forgotten his name) was on Global, to celebrate being named Winery of the Year by the Canadian Wine Awards and Wine Access magazine.

Meanwhile A-Channel had James Nevison and Kenji Hodgson on promoting their book Had A Glass, which outlines the best (ITO) wines for the upcoming year available for under $20 in BC. A good companion book for VanMag's upcoming (I assume) 2nd annual wine awards issue?

A gentleman from CedarCreek (unfortunately I've forgotten his name) was on Global, to celebrate being named Winery of the Year by the Canadian Wine Awards and Wine Access magazine.

It was Gordon Fitzpatrick ... he's been doing the rounds this week. Heard him on CKNW with Bill Good the day before.

Congrats to them!

A.

This morning was all about the wine.

Meanwhile A-Channel had James Nevison and Kenji Hodgson on promoting their book Had A Glass, which outlines the best (ITO) wines for the upcoming year available for under $20 in BC. A good companion book for VanMag's upcoming (I assume) 2nd annual wine awards issue?

Yep, 2nd annual Wine Awards issue coming out in January. We're also hosting an event, Fork & Glass, that you can buy tickets to. Sorry, offthread . . .

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine