• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reseasoning a Tea Pot

finnfann

I love my son's baby sitter, really I do. She works really hard with him, stimulates him to no end and has him keeping up with kids twice his age. She does great things for us too; she does the laundry, she tidies up, and when she's run out of things to do during his nap, she creates new projects for herself.

Yesterday, she scrubbed my tea pot. My beloved tea pot that I've been seasoning for 5 years. 5 years.

I didn't know if I would notice a difference, or if the value of seasoning was all in my head, but suddenly my $2 an ounce Ceylon tastes like it cost $2 an ounce. All of the depth of flavor is gone.

So, I'm wondering, does anyone has any tips for speeding the reseasoning process?

Help. Please.

Make pots of tripled-quanitity teas, then let the pot steep for an entire day. Repeat as needed. I think you'll be surprised how little time it takes to re-season the pot!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

You should see what happens when a house keeper puts a river clay tea pot in the dishwasher on the heavy cycle :angry:

Edit: At least she knows not to put my chefs knives in the dishwasher, after a very ugly mishap(can you say rust) with a custom Japanese knife.

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

'Seasoning'...is this a cast iron teapot?

Kind of a counter-question: Is a new cast iron teapot like an un-seasoned long-used cast iron teapot? If I buy a new one, will it have the same flavour problems you are seeing in your damaged pot?

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Yes, my beloved tea pot is cast iron.

I suppose that a new cast iron pot would have the same flavor issues that my de-seasoned pot has, but it's hard to remember what this one was like before.

I've been making extra strong pots every day and letting it sit. I think I'm on my way to reseasoning!