• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BUILD A BETTER BURGER CONTEST

gerald

Is it possible to get a description of the winning burger - the Vera website says that the winner will be annouced on Feb 01.  Should we wait for the official word?

Lee,

I'm going to defer to Gerald to post the winning ingredients as he now owns the recipes and may want to keep some proprietory. I can say that the first prize went to a chili-raised and slightly sweetened admix called "Thai Me Up" with some other, more visible additions. A quality and satisfying chew.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I enjoyed judging the 12 semi-finalists with Tim Pawsey, Judith Lane and Angus Reid of the Lions.

Just not with me? :shock: Utterly scandalous. Thanks for the 12 burgers Gerald, and thanks for the company Judith, Tim, Angus, and Jamie ( :raz: ).

Chef Koo. We looked at your burger, decided you didn't post here often enough anymore, and passed it over in protest. It sounded awesome, though. Peking Duckburger. I used to go this place in Toronto called Champion House. Every time you ordered the Peking Duck the waiter's face would light up and he'd scream "Peking Duck!!" to the back of the room where a little kid with a bowl haircut and a gong would gong it up big time screaming "Peking Duck!!".

I was so looking forward to your burger, dude, but the eGullet conspiracy is broad, brother. Broad. Post more. Suffer less.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

WHAT?!!!! my peking duck skin burger didn't make it? i'm never eating a hamburger at vera's again? how much are your hot dogs?

Whoa! Peking duck skin burger! You're a genius! :wub: Have you actually made one? Or did you just submit a recipe to Gerald?

(I confess I didn't test any of the recipes I submitted into the contest...and I might have been drunk at the time I was writing them too. I remember suggesting a turkey and stuffing burger though...)

• 8 months later...