• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying beer that's not refrigerated?

skoolpsyk

Places like Trader Joes and Cost Plus often have some interesting beers I'd like to try, but they are never in the fridge but out in the isles.

This makes me suspicious and I don't know if I'm just fooling myself thinking that all the beer I buy in the fridge actually came trucked that way..

Does it make a difference in taste? Do you all buy beers from these stores?

I would not worry about it. Although most beers taste best cold most are not shipped or stored refridgerated. Beer like wine is pretty resilent and can survive some varied temperature changes. Try that beer appeals to you and play around with different degrees of temperature and see what works for you.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

If the beer you buy does not say to keep refrigerated, it is shelf stable at room temperature and you ought not worry.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I'd be much more concerned about the freshness, myself. Beer exposed to extreme temperatures, either hot or cold, will suffer but beer stored at room temp is generally A-OK. Just make sure you have a favorable date stamp and experiment away.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

In fact, you are often better off buying beer that, while fresh, is not refrigerated as most refrigerators are lit and light is a greater enemy of beer than room temperature, particularly if the beer is in green or clear bottles.

When buying beer in green or clear bottles, try to get it from an enclosed cardboard case where it hasn't been exposed to light.

I'm stuck in a state that requires, by law, that all beer with an alcohol content of 3.2% or higher is sold warm. So, I can attest to what the other posters are saying. Check any freshness dates (or the amount of dust on the bottles), don't buy the stuff near windows, etc. I've rarely gotten a bad bottle.

Anna

------

"I brought you a tuna sandwich. They say it's brain food. I guess because there's so much dolphin in it, and you know how smart they are." -- Marge Simpson

I'm stuck in a state that requires, by law, that all beer with an alcohol content of 3.2% or higher is sold warm. So, I can attest to what the other posters are saying. Check any freshness dates (or the amount of dust on the bottles), don't buy the stuff near windows, etc. I've rarely gotten a bad bottle.

Well, that law is a new one on me... :huh::unsure:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Why is 3.2% beer like making love in a canoe?

They're both f&%king close to water!

:laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'm stuck in a state that requires, by law, that all beer with an alcohol content of 3.2% or higher is sold warm.

Well, that law is a new one on me... :huh::unsure:

Oh, it gets worse... You can only buy the good stuff in a liquor store. Not a grocery store, not a convienience store, and as I said earlier, never ever cold. However, I should clarify that this only applies to stores, not bars or restaurants. You can get the good stuff chilled there, as I often do :biggrin:

That's hilarious :laugh: - having done both, and only willing to do one again, I can attest to it's truth.

Anna

------

"I brought you a tuna sandwich. They say it's brain food. I guess because there's so much dolphin in it, and you know how smart they are." -- Marge Simpson

It's your proximity to Kansas that's your problem.

That would cause a problem for the brewery I used to work for Spilker Ales can only sell their stuff chilled as it's not pasteurized, filtered, or chemically preserved (aside from ethanol and hops content).

I apologize for your lawmakers' short-sightedness.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

It's your proximity to Kansas that's your problem.

This can be said for many many things :wink:

Thanks everyone!  We found a new chain of stores that has a great selection and most all are not refrigerated---so we stocked up without fear!

Glad you stocked up without fear. Half the fun is experimenting. I hope you live in a place with good variety.

Anna

------

One of the engineers I work with asked why American chemical engineers are more powerful than Jesus.

When I said "I don't know", he replied, "Jesus only turned water into wine. It took an American chemical engineer to turn beer into water".

Mexican beer is never shipped or warehoused chilled. That's a Coor's thing.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.