• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Nicholas

Peter B Wolf

Happy birthday, Rosie. It sounds like you had a great dinner.

Do you recall the wine selection? It seems like you covered a lot of flavors (quince, char, pig, scallops, etc) which is a stretch for many wines.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 1 year later...

Well, I am finally going to Restaurant Nicholas! It's birthday time again (in fact, it's today) but I am going on Sunday evening.

It won out over Cafe Abracci and Dan's on Main - 2 others that I am eager to try. But they are very local so I don't need a special occasion to get there.

I am hoping the Nicholas "vets" can peruse the current menu and let me know which items are not to be missed!

Please take a look and give me your suggestions

Restaurant Nicholas Menu

Thanks!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Well, I am finally going to Restaurant Nicholas!  It's birthday time again (in fact, it's today) but I am going on Sunday evening.

It won out over Cafe Abracci and Dan's on Main - 2 others that I am eager to try.  But they are very local so I don't need a special occasion to get there.

I am hoping the Nicholas "vets" can peruse the current menu and let me know which items are not to be missed!

Please take a look and give me your suggestions

Restaurant Nicholas Menu

Thanks!

Oh God - looking at that menu makes me know that I have to get myself back there. Haven't been in about a year or so, and it's well overdue! Be sure to have the cheese tasting - it's amazing.

You made the right decision - Cafe Abracci and Dan's on Main are nowhere near the league of Nicholas. I have dined at both - usually while waiting for my son after dropping him off at St. Joe's dances. He had fun, and so did my hubby and I!

Since he drives himself this year, our Metuchen outings have decreased somewhat, but we have to get to Cafe Abracci - I prefer it over Dan's.

We had dinner at Nicholas this past Sunday. We've been there several times, though the last was quite some time ago. As many of you know, earlier this year, there were some major changes in the kitchen: Chef Corey Heyer decamped for the Bernards Inn, and “Chop” moved to Bouley. So, we were, of course, interested to see if there would be any affect on the quality of the cuisine. The maitre d’, Anthony, told us that while Nicholas had been spending time in the kitchen, he has brought in a chef who worked at Le Bernardin to take over.

When we arrived for our 6 p.m. reservation, I immediately noticed that there was a large, rather noisy group completely occupying the dining room on the right. (Why they were there became clear when they later launched into a rousing rendition of “Happy Anniversary,” which could be heard throughout the restaurant.) The main dining room was about 75% full and, fortunately, our table was in a corner farthest from the noise. As the evening progressed, empty tables filled so that by the time we left, only two tables were unoccupied.

Although my husband expressed an interest in the tasting menu, there weren’t enough choices that appealed to me. Plus, I had my heart set on a seared foie gras appetizer, and none was offered there. So, we went with the $55 3-course prix-fixe, to which we added a cheese course. My husband did a wine pairing with each course. (I don’t drink.)

The first thing served to us was very generous-sized slices of bread from Eli’s, in NYC, that had a fabulous crust and a delicious soft interior. The butter offered with it was excellent, so it was difficult to resist not having more than one slice. Somehow, I managed to control myself because I didn’t want to fill up and not be able to finish my dinner. My husband – he of the larger appetite – didn’t resist at all and had three (!) slices.

The amuse was a trio of marinated beets consisting of 3 tiny beet pieces, two red and one golden. A very pleasant beginning.

I started with the Seared Foie Gras with Black Mission Figs and Candied Pistachios. A generous portion of foie gras was perfectly seared, and the figs were prepared as a jam. Someone who does not prefer sweet would probably not like this dish. But I loved the combination of the unctuous foie gras with the very sweet jam, while the candied nuts added just the right note of crunchiness. I was in total ecstasy with every bite! My husband chose to begin with the Seared Day Boat Scallops with Orange Confit and Sesame Vinaigrette. The plate consisted of three plump scallops that, again, showed the kitchen’s prowess with searing and, from the taste I had, were luscious.

For the main course, my husband and I both selected the Roasted Pheasant with Celery Root Puree and Marjoram Jus because we both like pheasant and because it’s a seasonal item. The de-boned breast was sliced and fanned out on the plate. The puree was piped alongside, and there was an additional accompaniment of baby Brussels sprouts mixed with chopped pieces of dark meat. The jus was spooned over the breast meat by our server at the table. The presentation really didn’t offer much eye appeal. But the white meat was very tender and juicy, and the jus, with its very subtle marjoram flavoring, was just right. However, the accompaniments were a problem. The celery flavor in the puree was too tart, at least to my palate. More importantly, I do not like Brussels sprouts and, since the chopped meat pieces were surprisingly dry, these sides were, for me, a major disappointment. It had never occurred to me to ask about any additional accompaniments. Despite the fact that I loved the pheasant, I would not have ordered it if I had known about the Brussels sprouts.

Our cheese course was a total delight. We selected three: a Reblochon, a Petit Basque, and a Spanish chevre. All were superb. They were served with raisin bread and dried fruits.

There was a pre-dessert – a very small glass of a thickened grape drink with what I think was some whipped cream on top.

I was in the mood for something chocolate-y to end the meal, and the only item on the dessert menu fitting that description is the Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake. Yes, it has become rather old hat; however, since I hadn’t had one in a very long time, I went with it although I did ask that vanilla ice cream be substituted for the pistachio listed on the menu. Well, they certainly have this dessert down pat, and the warm chocolate center oozed deliciously. My husband chose the Black Plum Tart with Almond Ice Cream. I tasted some and agreed with him that the plums together with the almond crust and ice cream were a lovely combination. Instead of the ubiquitous plate of assorted mignardises, we were served a single cappuccino chocolate each. My husband finished with a pot of blood orange tea.

Service was, as usual, totally professional, yet friendly. The cost of the meal, including tax and tip, was around $200.

Despite the problems with the main course accompaniments, which were purely a case of personal preference since my husband was perfectly satisfied with them, I think that Restaurant Nicholas has nicely weathered the kitchen staff turnover and is not in any danger of losing its status as one of New Jersey’s best restaurants.

Oh God - looking at that menu makes me know that I have to get myself back there.  Haven't been in about a year or so, and it's well overdue!  Be sure to have the cheese tasting - it's amazing.

You made the right decision - Cafe Abracci and Dan's on Main are nowhere near the league of Nicholas.  I have dined at both - usually while waiting for my son after dropping him off at St. Joe's dances.  He had fun, and so did my hubby and I!

Since he drives himself this year, our Metuchen outings have decreased somewhat, but we have to get to Cafe Abracci - I prefer it over Dan's.

Thanks for the tip - I would love to try the cheese tasting but I am going to guess I won't be hungry enough for it (unless I skip dessert which I don't think I am willing to sacrifice!)

I remember your posts last year when I was asking about the local Metuchen restaurants and I am determined to finally get to them!

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

We had dinner at Nicholas this past Sunday. 

Wow, thanks so much, Roz! This was like getting a preview peek for tonight's dinner. I am also planning on getting the foie gras - I have always wanted to try it, as it sounds like heaven to me.

Selfishly, I found myself disappointed that you and your husband both got the same main course - didn't you know you were supposed to report back to me on at least 2 mains?? :raz: I was glad to hear about the pheasant, though, since it had caught my eye.

I have narrowed down my choices to the rack of lamb and the suckling pig. (Altho the duck breast and the lobster are vying for my attention as well).

Can I ask you what they charge for the cheese tasting? And did you have to get it for 2 or is it available for 1?

Thanks again for a great preview of what to expect tonight. Glad to know they are still at the top of their game despite the changes in the kitchen.

Randi

Randi, I was away all day, so did not see your post until now.

Although you will, at this point, know the answer to the cheese course question, for others who might want the information, the cost for each cheese selected is $3. You can have as many as you want, each person can have his or her own, or you can share them, which is what we did.

Interesting that you joked about selfishly wanting us to have ordered two different main courses because, actually, it isn't a usual occurrence for us. My husband likes many things that I don't, and I will eat fish as a main course, which he does not prefer to do. So, more often than not, we order different mains. I did give serious consideration to the magret and the lamb and, in retrospect, I'm sorry I didn't choose one of them.

I hope you had a wonderful dinner, and that it lived up to your expectations.

Well, Restaurant Nicholas lived up to my expectations, even though I didn't love every dish - it was an extraordinary experience.

I went with my friend, Nancy, who took me out for my birthday dinner, and I got to choose the place.

We had mixed reactions to the decor, as did others earlier in this thread. I found it soothing and appealing, she thought it was too sparse and industrial.

We got there early, 5:30 - when they opened, and we were the only diners in the room for nearly 1/2 hour (I think the fact that it was a Sunday night plus Halloween kept them from being too busy). When we left at 8:15 PM, there were 5 other tables for 2 in our room (we didn't see the other dining room)

Nancy went with the 4-course vegetarian menu and I chose the Mid-Autumn 3 course menu.

They brought us an amuse of Celery Soup with Truffle Oil. Delightful! Nancy's first course was the Cider Marinated Golden and Red Beets with Candied Walnuts and Aged Goat Cheese. I could tell by the look on her face it wasn't what she was expecting. She found it to be too vinegar-y, and she had trouble eating it. I tasted it and agreed that it was a bit strong. She did love the candied walnuts though.

My first course was the Seared Foie Gras with Mission Figs and Candied Pistachios. I had never had foie gras before and I had high expectations. I liked it - but it wasn't the dreamy experience I had anticipated. Also it was very rare - which I hadn't expected. (Is that how foie gras is normally served?) I agree with Roz that the fig jam and pistachios were perfect accompaniments.

Nicholas1.jpg

Seared Foie Gras with Mission Figs and Candied Pistachios

Nancy was apprehensive about the rest of the meal, which was a little sad, since it was a bit more money than we normally spend for dinner. OK, a LOT more! :laugh: But she didn't need to worry - once they brought her soup - she was transported to another dimension! She got the Roasted Autumn Squash Soup with Cranberries. The first thing she noticed was the aroma and she said "it smells like Autumn!" Then she took a taste, and her whole demeanor changed - she said it was amazing. She now said that "This is what Autumn tastes like!"

She insisted I taste it - and pushed the bowl to me. I took a tiny taste and immediately one server brought over an extra spoon (so I wouldn't have to use Nancy's) and another brought me a sample of the soup of my own! Very cool!

Nancy said it was the best soup she has had in her life. Seriously! She told the server who promised to pass that on to the chef.

Nancy was unavailable for conversation for a while after her soup, as she recuperated from the experience. I kid you not!

I liked it - but actually liked the celery-truffle oil soup a bit more.

Next they brought out our mains. Nancy got the Pumpkin Agnolotti with Sage Brown Butter and Pumpkin Seeds. Another winner! I took a taste and had to agree - this is not to be missed.

I had trouble deciding between the rack of lamb and the suckling pig - but when I learned that the lamb did not have a crust (which is what I usually love best about rack of lamb) and the pork had a crispy topping of skin (which I adore) and it is their signature dish, I decided to go with the pork, since I felt comfortable trying a signature dish on a first visit.

Sadly, I wasn't in love with the dish. The pork was very strong tasting, although it might have been the Cinnamon Jus that was so flavorful. Nancy tasted it and declared it "gamey". Also, the round of skin on top was not crispy. It was soft, soggy skin. Which I still like - but I don't love. Accompanying the pork was a parsnip puree (yummmmmm! how on earth to they get that rich texture? I need to know!) and sliced quince on top of fresh spinach. I had no idea what quince would taste like, and it had a pleasant apple-like flavor. Perfect with the pork.

Nicholas2.jpg

Braised "Pulled" Suckling Pig, Parsnip Puree, Poached Quince on a bed of Spinach

I did decide I had room to try a cheese course. Unfortunately, Nancy doesn't really like cheese. I chose 3, one was Lingot du Quercy -a soft, mild goat cheese, which I loved. The other 2 I wasn't crazy about. One was a sheep's milk cheese, and the other was a cow's milk cheese with truffle. I don't remember the names (I didn't need to since I didn't care for them!) The cheese course was served with dried fruit and date nut bread. Pictured below.

Nicholas3.jpg

Cheese course (Lingot du Quercy at bottom, then clockwise: date nut bread, the truffle cow's milk cheese and the sheep's milk cheese)

We got a pre-dessert treat, same as Roz did - the Concord Grape Shooters with Yogurt Foam. Very nice!!

For dessert, Nancy got the Warm Valrona Chocolate Cake with pistachio ice cream. It came with a decorative thin crispy round of pineapple. (I loved it). The ice cream was amazing. The cake, extremely good. I got the Pumpkin Mousse with Cinnamon Whipped Cream. It was great. The mousse sat on a layer of pumpkin bread. Very tasty. oh! I forgot to mention - I had my camera out so our server asked if it was a special occasion. So we told her it was my birthday.

When they brought my dessert it had a marzipan banner on the plate which said "Happy Birthday" and a lit candle perched inside a fresh raspberry (see photo below). They also brought me a small box of chocolates prepared by the pastry chef. Nancy and I also each received a sample chocolate peanut butter truffle with our dessert.

Nicholas4.jpg

Pumpkin Mousse with Cinnamon Whipped Cream - served Birthday style!

By the way, I didn't take pictures of any of Nancy's dishes - she was already not too thrilled that I was taking pictures of mine.

All in all this was a very lovely meal and an incredible dining experience. The service was flawless, and everyone there was warm and friendly. We love Restaurant Nicholas!

Randi, Great photos! Just looking at the foie gras again has my mouth watering. :biggrin: And, yes, seared foie gras is served "rare." Searing foie gras is really a tricky process. The idea is to get a little crust on the exterior while cooking the interior just enough so that it is warm. If seared too long, it will disintegrate into a puddle of fat. Of course, the accompaniment is always an important element, and foie gras goes well with so many different things. Just about every foie gras dish I've had -- and there have been many :wub: -- has been prepared with a different accompaniment though I think apples have shown up more than once.

As I noted, the beets in our amuse were marinated, and I didn't find them too vinager-y. But then, it was a teensy portion, so maybe that flavor didn't stand out as much as it might have in a full appetizer.

It seems that you and I found our main courses the most disappointing part of the meal. :sad: I don't like pork, so I've never had the suckling pig, but my husband had it the first time we ate there and thought it was excellent. Looking at the photo you took, I see that the exceedingly smooth texture of the parsnip puree is exactly like that of the celery root puree that came with the pheasant. Obviously, they're puree wizards in that kitchen. :laugh:

So, it was yogurt foam and not whipped cream with the grape shooter. Thanks for the correction.

When we were there, judging by the number of desserts that came into the dining room with candles, quite a few people were celebrating occasions. Although it was my birthday, we prefer not to tell restaurants when we are celebrating an occasion, so I didn't get any extra bonbons. But it's certainly a very lovely gesture when someone does tell them. :smile:

Randi, Great photos!  Just looking at the foie gras again has my mouth watering.  :biggrin:  ......  I see that the exceedingly smooth texture of the parsnip puree is exactly like that of the celery root puree that came with the pheasant.  Obviously, they're puree wizards in that kitchen.  :laugh: 

I have to say, that even though I expected to be "transported" by the foie gras, and I wasn't - I can't seem to stop thinking about it! Maybe it's the pictures, maybe I liked it far more than I thought I did. But I want MORE!

About the puree, seriously - how do you think they get that texture? Lots of butter? Some type of oil? I can't imagine that it was simply from blending or whipping. I can't even describe how silky it was!

I have a question about posting photos - I see mine embedded in the post, but when I sent friends to view the post, they only got links. Does anyone know if being a member vs. being a guest is the reason? Or did I do something wrong? Can anyone else see them in my post?

Randi

We had dinner at Nicholas this past Sunday.  We've been there several times, though the last was quite some time ago.  As many of you know, earlier this year, there were some major changes in the kitchen: Chef Corey Heyer decamped for the Bernards Inn, and “Chop” moved to Bouley.  So, we were, of course, interested to see if there would be any affect on the quality of the cuisine.  The maitre d’, Anthony, told us that while Nicholas had been spending time in the kitchen, he has brought in a chef who worked at Le Bernardin to take over. 

I wanted to clarify that Nicholas Harary is the chef at Nicholas and has always been the chef there. He is at the restaurant by 10 AM braising pigs, putting on stocks and sauces, rolling out dough for the agnolotti, etc. Many nights, his day doesn't end until 4:30 AM when he gets home from picking out fish in the Fulton Fish Market. Corey Heyer was chef de cuisine. Although a chef may have a chef de cuisines it is still the executive chef and in Nicholas’s case the chef/owner who receives credit and acknowledgment the cuisine.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I might be in for a lunch or Mon night dinner.

They don't serve lunch.

I'm not sure about Monday, would Sunday work? That's the standard NJ eGullet night...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I'm not sure about Monday, would Sunday work?  That's the standard NJ eGullet night...

It works for me! Are we still considering this?

p.s. can anyone answer my question above about the posting/viewing of pics?

Just a reminder that on November 28,a four year anniversary dinner with matching wines will be celebrated at Restaurant Nicholas, 160 Rt 35, Red Bank. 6:30 PM; $125 plus tax and gratuity. Call 732-345-9977 for reservations. Congratulations to Chef/owner Nicholas, Melissa, & the entire staff of Restaurant Nicholas.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

This is my first post on e-gullet. I've dined at Restaurant Nicholas several times. It is truly a wonderful dining experience in every sense. I've had the suckling pig and thought it was awesome. I do think that you need to be an experienced diner to truly appreciate the cuisine. However, if you're going to try some "gourmet" items for the first time, this is the place to get the very best. As with any endeavor, your appreciation grows with experience. If you eat out often and well and travel to other parts of the world, you will know that Restaurant Nicholas is a gem.

Randi, Great photos!  Just looking at the foie gras again has my mouth watering.   :biggrin:   And, yes, seared foie gras is served "rare."  Searing foie gras is really a tricky process.  The idea is to get a little crust on the exterior while cooking the interior just enough so that it is warm.  If seared too long, it will disintegrate into a puddle of fat.  Of course, the accompaniment is always an important element, and foie gras goes well with so many different things.  Just about every foie gras dish I've had -- and there have been many  :wub: -- has been prepared with a different accompaniment though I think apples have shown up more than once.

As I noted, the beets in our amuse were marinated, and I didn't find them too vinager-y.  But then, it was a teensy portion, so maybe that flavor didn't stand out as much as it might have in a full appetizer. 

It seems that you and I found our main courses the most disappointing part of the meal.   :sad:  I don't like pork, so I've never had the suckling pig, but my husband had it the first time we ate there and thought it was excellent.  Looking at the photo you took, I see that the exceedingly smooth texture of the parsnip puree is exactly like that of the celery root puree that came with the pheasant.  Obviously, they're puree wizards in that kitchen.   :laugh: 

So, it was yogurt foam and not whipped cream with the grape shooter.  Thanks for the correction.

When we were there, judging by the number of desserts that came into the dining room with candles, quite a few people were celebrating occasions.  Although it was my birthday, we prefer not to tell restaurants when we are celebrating an occasion, so I didn't get any extra bonbons.  But it's certainly a very lovely gesture when someone does tell them.   :smile: