• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Nicholas

Peter B Wolf

Peter B Wolf Posted on June 13 2002,21:02

Friend of mine requests the run down on Restaurant Nichola(s?) in Red Bank. Please help, menu prices, quality etc.

As you can see if you have clicked on the link that tommy provided, Nicholas is not in Red Bank, but in Middletown (on Route 35 South).  I have dined there several times and find that it compares very favorably with many an upscale NYC restaurant.  It is in a free-standing building with its own parking lot.  (I think there is valet parking on Saturdays.)  The diningroom's decor is spare and contemporary.  Tables are widely spaced; seating is very comfortable.  The service staff is first rate, and Nicholas himself is always there, circulating amongst the diners, helping with wine selections, carving tableside when a dish requires it, etc.  And his wife, Melissa, usually greets diners upon arrival.  The tone overall is both professional and friendly.  The menus on the site are always up-to-date -- Melissa sees to that -- and they speak for themselves.  Everything I have had there has been expertly prepared, beautifully presented, and -- most important -- delicious.  The wine list is excellent and, while I don't drink wine, my husband does, and he has always been pleased with the selections.  If your friend goes, it will cost plenty.  But, in my opinion, it is definitely worth it.  Just in case you haven't figured it out, I really love this restaurant and highly recommend it.     :smile:  :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

I just dined at Nicholas for the first time this past week. It was an amazing experience! Not only is the cuisine the best NJ has to offer, the level of service is not even touched anywhere in the state. You really can't believe your not in NY or Europe. It gives other restaurants in it's area a bad name knowing what's going on over there! I made reservations on the way out for the fourth of July. What a perfect way to see fireworks then to dine at Nicholas first! :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

To celebrate our anniversary and Lowell's birthday we had an extraordinary dinner at Restaurant Nicholas, 160 Route 35 South, Middletown. Chef/owner Nicholas Harary and his wife Melissa are passionate about food and service and have put their extensive experience to work at this sophisticated establishment which serves New American Cuisine. He trained at the Culinary Institute of America and was sommelier at Jean Georges, New York City while Melissa was the former dining room manager and sommelier at Tabla, New York City.

The mid-summer menu offers two courses for $38; three courses for $55; a three course vegetarian menu for $55 and a six plus course tasting menu for $75. We opted for the multi-course tasting menu which gives the patron two choices within each course. We told the waiter to bring us one of each course and this way we were able to taste a lot of dishes.

The wine list is made up of small producers that Chef Nicholas hand picked while traveling the world and has enough selections that you will be able to find something in your price range. We told Chef Harary what type of wine we wanted (Pinot Noir), what country (American) and the price range (not crazy). He recommended two wines, described them and the wine we picked was excellent (1999 Lemelson).

We started with an amuse bouche of watermelon juice with black sesame seeds served in a vodka shot glass. It was followed by a yellow fin tuna tart with fennel puree and sherry soy vinaigrette and a chilled cantaloupe and tomato soup with seared shrimp and basil. The bowl of soup was presented with composed shrimp, cantaloupe and pear drop tomatoes and then the soup was ladled into the bowl. The cold soup contrasted beautifully with the spicy shrimp.

The second course was a supurb poached Hudson Valley foie gras, "pot au feu" and duck consommé. The foie gras since it was poached didn't have a heavy butter taste. This dish was presented in a bowl with baby root vegetables and the broth which was in a teapot was poured over the foie gras at the table. Beautiful! The other course was citrus dusted seared scallops, with orange confit and purslane greens. The greens unlike the weeds in my backyard were very good.

The third course was perfectly cooked fish. One dish was Maine Arctic Char, fingerling potatoes, and black mustard seed creamy dressing and the other was an almond and hazelnut crusted red snapper with salsify and banyuls (wine) broth. As with many of the dishes that were presented in a bowl with broth I found myself with a soup spoon scooping up every drop of the delectable sauce.

Next we had an amazing braised tender suckling pig, with quince and cinnamon jus and a Moroccan spiced loin of lamb with cous-cous and a cucumber mint relish. Each dish was so good with a delicate use of herbs and seasonings that we were swooning aloud and angry with ourselves for not bringing a camera to take pictures of the dishes. Also, the dishes that aren't finished at the table come with silver domes that the waiter's lift off in unison.

The artisinal cheese course should not be missed. Each cheese is explained thoroughly and we picked five perfectly ripe cheeses that were served with walnut bread. We had two hard cheeses and three soft ones with each one being creamier than the next. I don't remember the names.

At this point of our dinner we were in "foodie heaven" and were served a refreshing lip puckering lime ice with a ring of cream. Next was a dessert tasting and the presentation was very impressive. Each plate had a semi circle cookie banner on the rim; one read happy anniversary and one read happy birthday. Each had a candle sitting in a plump raspberry. This is what I remember--an outrageously delicious apricot tart with almond ice cream and white pepper that I dreamed about all night; a warm Valrhona chocolate cake with a pineapple chip and vanilla ice cream; a crème brulee trio (ginger, pistachio and vanilla); and a mille-feuille with fresh berries and cream. We had coffee and were then served a small plate of miniature cookies and sweets. As a parting gift as it was our anniversary and birthday we were given a small box of chocolates. Portions were quite generous for a tasting menu and the meal was perfectly paced. We dined for over 3 hours.

Every dish was perfection. Service was flawless. It is no surprise that Restaurant Nicholas won Best of the Best in the New Jersey Monthly Reader's Choice Poll and received 4 stars from Valerie Sinclaire when she reviewed it last year. Phone 732-345-9977.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie--have you dined there as a critic before, were you "known," or were you unknown and just identified it was an anniversary/birthday when making the reservation?

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

I dined there when they first opened. The posting is someplace on eGullet. They did not know who I was then. When I made this reservation I told them it was our anniversary and my husband's birthday and I gave them my name-- Rosalie Saferstein. I asked that they put a candle in my husband's dessert but not to sing HB etc.--to keep it low keyed. Everyone at Restaurant Nicholas is treated specially. We were not treated any different than anyone around us. Also, I do not see my posting as a review but a description of my experience at the restaurant. This place has received rave reviews from NJ restaurant reviewers. David Corcoran gave it an excellent, Cody Kendall gave it 4 stars, and Valerie Sinclaire gave it 4 stars.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie posted on Jul 30 2002, 06:34 PM

I asked that they put a candle in my husband's dessert but not to sing HB etc.--to keep it low keyed.

I can't imagine that there would ever be any huddling of servers around a table at Nicholas singing a wretchedly unharmonious Happy Birthday as is the case in so many restaurants. I would put Nicholas in the same category as NYC's Daniel and Jean George, and surely that wouldn't happen at those two restaurants either.

Loved reading your review, Rosie. It just made my mouth water, and I kept thinking back to all the fabulous dishes we have had during our several visits there. And you are right that every diner is treated with the utmost care and courtesy. It's still hard for me to believe how lucky we are to have one of the best, if not *the* best restaurant in the state less than half an hour from our house.

I can't imagine that there would ever be any huddling of servers around a table at Nicholas singing a wretchedly unharmonious Happy Birthday as is the case in so many restaurants.

You are right. There were other tables that received their desserts with candles and it was all done very quietly.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

hi rosie,

I just wanted to say that it was a pleasure preparing yours and everyone elses food that night. I put some TLC into your fish course it sounds like you enjoyed it. We had the first ever wine diner tonight and i think it went very well. Everyone seemed to have a good time and enjoyed some of those rare wines Nicholas loves. I believe there was even a wine tasted tonight thats not yet released so the diners got to get a go at it first hand. Again thanks for all the kind words(especially about my fish) and i'm looking foward to all of you being in soon.

I will be at an event at Island Beach State Park on Saturday, and just made reservations at RN for Sat nite...at this date, they only had an 8:45, which is going to leave me hanging for an hour or so. I think it should take about 30-45 minutes to get there from the event I'm attending...

So, two questions:

1. Do they have a nice sized bar to wait at, OR, is there a place you can reccommend for a drink beforehand?

2. They have a confirmation policy...is this place really hot, or do you think we'll be able to move the reservation up?

Thanks, any help appreciated.

I don't think they have a bar you can sit at. I don't remember seeing one. Why don't you call after your event is over and ask if you can come earlier? Perhaps your table opened up earlier than expected and/or they had a cancellation. We were there over 3 hours but we had the tasting menu. There were people there who had the two course dinner who were out much, much sooner. Looking forward to reading your post.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I will be at an event at Island Beach State Park on Saturday, and just made reservations at RN for Sat nite...at this date, they only had an 8:45, which is going to leave me hanging for an hour or so.  I think it should take about 30-45 minutes to get there from the event I'm attending...

So, two questions:

1. Do they have a nice sized bar to wait at, OR, is there a place you can reccommend for a drink beforehand?

2. They have a confirmation policy...is this place really hot, or do you think we'll be able to move the reservation up?

A 30 to 45 minute trip from Island Beach State Park to Middletown on a Saturday in the summer seems awfully optimistic, IMHO. You may wind up using that extra hour you think you may have just trying to get to the Garden State Parkinglot.

There is no bar at Nicholas, just a foyer that may or may not have a nibble to two to tide you over until your table is ready. If you do find you have time to kill, you' best bet is to head for Red Bank; just a few minutes away.

And yes, this place is VERY popular. Enjoy!

like helena said there is no bar yet. there is some talk on an expantion and putting one in for this very reason. The place was a little small to have a sit down bar in the beggining. But if they make the expantion it should make for a very nice fully loaded bar. I could be wrong but i think they usually send people to the molly pitcher if they arrive really early. But like helena said i dont know if your going to have as much time as you think.

A 30 to 45 minute trip from Island Beach State Park to Middletown on a Saturday in the summer seems awfully optimistic, IMHO. You may wind up using that extra hour you think you may have just trying to get to the Garden State Parkinglot.

There is no bar at Nicholas, just a foyer that may or may not have a nibble to two to tide you over until your table is ready. If you do find you have time to kill, you' best bet is to head for Red Bank; just a few minutes away.

And yes, this place is VERY popular. Enjoy!

I'm planning on taking 571 from Seaside, thru Toms River to Middletown, maybe that will help.

Kim, as folks who grew up in the Toms River area... And having lived in Middletown for 8 years (If we still did, we'd be regulars at Indigo Moon and frequenting Nicholas much more often. ), there are no good backroads between Island Beach and Middletown. And the few mediocre ones are probably just as jammed nowadays.

If you really want some recommendations, contact Ken (aka the walking road map) directly.(KenRbnsn1@rcn.com or KenRbnsn@rbnsn.com)

Meanwhile, he's racking his brain trying to recall road names... :smile:

And yes, the meal will certainly be worth the trip!

Boy, do I fail Geopgraphy 101!!! I went on mapquest to really plot out this trip, from Island Beach State Park to RN..Yikes! We'll be at a cocktail reception the the Governor's from 3-7...if we felt the parkway was ok, we'd attempt it, but on a summer Saturday? And the roads I thought were shortcuts, as Helena predicted, were "longcuts". Guess we'll need to save this dining destination for the Fall...they were very nice when I cancelled.

i was looking foward to serving you tonight kim. Now that i read what happened i understand. We did have a quite a few cancelations tonight because of that whole storm. Red bank and middle town were in shamples. We had 5 trees brake into pieces at the restaurant. Thank god the big tree that fell, fell into the street instead of on everyones cars.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

You shouldn't wait for a special occasion to try Nicholas, 160 Route 35 South, Middletown. This restaurant is extraordinary and should not be missed. Chef/owner Nicholas Harary and his wife Melissa pay attention to every aspect of the food and service and it shows in the professionalism of the staff and outstanding cuisine. Chef Nicholas trained at the Culinary Institute of America and was sommelier at Jean Georges, New York City while Melissa was the former dining room manager and sommelier at Tabla, New York City.

We opted for the early winter tasting menu ($75) gives the patron two choices with each course. We told the waiter to bring us one of each course and this way we were able to taste a lot of dishes. There is also a two course menu for $38; three courses for $55; and a four course vegetarian menu for $55.

We started with an amuse of tuna with finely diced vegetables. Our first course was a peekytoe crab salad with mango and coriander tuile and marinated oysters with red onion and chive crème fraiche.

Course #2 was a superb poached Hudson Valley foie gras, "pot au feu" and duck consommé. The foie gras since it was poached didn't have a heavy butter taste. This dish was presented in a bowl and the broth, which was in a teapot, was poured over the foie gras at the table. Very impressive. The other course was seared dusted sea scallops, with frisee and a black truffle vinaigrette. The dishes that aren't finished at the table come with silver domes that the waiter's lift off in unison.

I don't know if David Santos AKA chopjwu12 was in charge of fish when we were there but the Maine arctic char with butternut squash, white port and tarragon reduction and the mahi mahi with red pepper marmalade with honey verjus were flawless. The fish was perfectly cooked and the accompanying sauces were fabulous.

Next we had an amazing braised tender suckling pig, with poached quince and cinnamon jus, their signature dish, and a tender braised beef short ribs with horseradish whipped potatoes and tomato tamarind sauce. At no time during our dinner did we send a plate back to the kitchen that hadn't been licked clean!

The artisinal cheese tasting so wonderful that I am still swooning. Each cheese was described and we picked seven perfectly ripe cheeses that were served with walnut bread, cranberries and some dried fruit. I don't remember the names of the cheeses.

And then dessert. A shot glass with a small cone filled with lime sorbet was served before dessert. We then had a sampler plate containing an apple tart, warm Valrhona chocolate cake topped with a pineapple chip and vanilla ice cream (the best I have ever had), a napoleon of fresh berries and mousseline and a chocolate cup with homemade ice cream. A plate of small confections was brought with our dessert.

When we left since it was my birthday we were given a small box of chocolates that were made by the Pastry chef Roberto Santamaria. This restaurant is #1 in my opinion in NJ. Do try it. Phone: 732-345-9977. They have a web site at: www.RestaurantNicholas.com.

We had two drinks and a $75 bottle of wine. With tax and tip the bill was $315 and worth every penny. We were there for 3 1/2 hours.

David--Please fill in anything I missed! :smile:

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE