• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Nicholas

Peter B Wolf

We were at Restaurant Nicholas for their fourth anniversary dinner. Chef Nicholas and Melissa Harary always present a sophisticated memorable meal along with seamless service.

The following menu and wines were served:

Reception with hors d’oeuvres

(N/V Cramant, Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru, Diebolt-Vallois)

Venison Carpaccio, jicama and fig salad with pine nuts

(2001 Chablis, Les Clos, Domaine Pinson)

Roasted autumn squash soup with lardoons and cranberries

(2001 Alsace, Sept Grains, Domaine Barmes Buecher)

Honey and orange glazed turbot with caramelized shallots and braised endive

(2001 Pernand Vergelesse, 1er Creux De La Net, Marc Colin)

Red wine poached filet mignon, potato gratin, and caramelized cippolini onions

(2001 Santa Barbara County, Syrah, Kunin)

Selection of artisinal cheeses

(1996 Graves, Le Bahans, Chateau Haut Brion)

Warm toffee date cake with vanilla ice cream

(20-year Tawny Port, Quinta Do Noval)

If you have not been to this jewel put it on your "must try ASAP" list.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

We were at Restaurant Nicholas for their fourth anniversary dinner. Chef Nicholas and Melissa Harary always present a sophisticated memorable meal along with seamless service.

The following menu and wines were served:

Reception with hors d’oeuvres

(N/V Cramant, Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru, Diebolt-Vallois)

Venison Carpaccio, jicama and fig salad with pine nuts

(2001 Chablis, Les Clos, Domaine Pinson)

Roasted autumn squash soup with lardoons and cranberries

(2001 Alsace, Sept Grains, Domaine Barmes Buecher)

Honey and orange glazed turbot with caramelized shallots and braised endive

(2001 Pernand Vergelesse, 1er Creux De La Net, Marc Colin)

Red wine poached filet mignon, potato gratin, and caramelized cippolini onions

(2001 Santa Barbara County, Syrah, Kunin)

Selection of artisinal cheeses

(1996 Graves, Le Bahans, Chateau Haut Brion)

Warm toffee date cake with vanilla ice cream

(20-year Tawny Port, Quinta Do Noval)

If you have not been to this jewel put it on your "must try ASAP" list.

sooo sooo pissed.....been so biz at work have not checked in recently....was it just too too good? sounds wonderful

• 1 month later...

I had my first dining experience at Nicholas this evening as we celebrated my wife's, Emily, 30th birthday. It was an outstanding night and definitely lived up to everyone's rave reviews.

We both decided to go with the Early Winter three course menu.

We started with an amuse of Roasted Chestnut Soup, I was tempted to see if I could substitute it for my first course.

Emily started with the Rabbit Crepeinette, very tasty, but it seemed a bit heavy on the fennel. I had the Lobster and Saffron Soup, it was a tough decision between that and the Foie Gras, but the chill in the air made the decision easier.

For the main course my wife opted for the Seared Duck Breast and I could tell by the look on her face it was excellent, she is a fan of duck and will only order it in the nicer establishments, she said it was the best she has ever had. I opted for the Red Wine Poached Fillet, I was not disappointed. The meat was so tender it could almost be cut with the fork, but the Red Wine sauce made the meal.

We had been planning to try the cheese course before our desserts, but we were in no shape to eat anything else. I was very surprised at the generosity of the portions, although on normal occasions Emily and I don't normally eat dessert.

After ordering dessert we received a treat of Leche-Nut Water with a Coconut Foam, it had a distinct citrus almost lime flavor, I was not a huge fan, but I don't like coconut. Emily found it refreshing.

For dessert, Emily had the had the Pear Tart with a Walnut Glaze & Cinnamon Ice Cream, with a little birthday wish and a candle situated in a rasberry. I had the Warm Valrona Chocolate Cake with Pistachio Ice Cream, the thin crisp of pineapple was excellent as was the ice cream.

Overall it was a very pleasant evening, the service was impeccable, yet not stuffy and the food was outrageous.

The worst part of the meal was that it made me forget the wonderful dinner my sister-in-law treated us to the night before at Anthony David's in Hoboken. It was a wonderful meal, just not on the same level as Nicholas. I will definetly be going through withdrawl after those two meals this week :cool:

• 2 months later...

Last night I was a first-timer at Restaurant Nicholas. Our meals were extraordinary!

The restaurant is currently serving the early spring menu. I started with the Seared Foie Gras (which was paired with some sort of wine – I forgot what it was?). The Foie Gras ate like butter and the wine was a precise compliment. My main course was the Nova Scotia Lobster with the truffle butter sauce. Both were superb! My wife started with the lobster/saffron soup and had the pulled pork as her main course. Of course I sampled her portions and each were fantastic!

All of the great things I’ve heard about this place are very true. Service was excessive with care and attention. Restaurant Nicholas is a landslide ahead of any restaurant in the area. They are up there with the big-boys such as Ryland Inn and French Laundry. There is no reason to eat anywhere else. I’m happy there’s a fantastic restaurant in my hometown. I will be back, very shortly, time and again.

:D

• 1 month later...

The new New Jersey Zagat survey just came out. Nicholas just received the number one ratings for food and service (both 28), beating out the Ryland Inn. :cool:

Nicholas to me was superb. The food, wine, and service were exceptional. The price of the 3 course prix fix was $55 with some supplements. The price tag is much less than a not so stellar meal at the Ryland Inn. The prix fix for one and wine was probably half the price of Ryland. :huh:

Who are you kidding chef Shelton. Restaurant Nicholas got my vote. Congratulations to Nicholas and Melissa on this achievement!

"To invite a person to your house is to take charge of his (her) happiness for as long as he is under your roof."

Brillat Savarin

You don't have to like everything I make, but you still have to eat it.

A Co-Worker from Work

• 1 month later...

I decided to stop for dinner on our way back from Atlantic City. It marked the half way mark on our destination back to north Jersey. As we approached the restaurant, we realized that there was some construction going on one side of the building. The entrance was moved and they fixed the parking problem by making it valet. However, that did not disrupt the evening.

They are increasing dining compacity to accomandate 50 instead of 20. The room can also be closed off as a private room. In addition, a bar with 16 stools and lounge are also being added.

The food, wine, and service were all excellent tonight. What especially caught my attention tonight was how they handled a couple of situations. One table next to us tonight asked for a chocolate milk I think. The pastry chef melted some Valrhona Chocolate and mixed it into the milk. :hmmm:

At another table, a female customer had a broken foot. To make her feel more comfortable, the servers grabbed a box or some similar object and wrapped it with a table cloth. Then they placed a pillow on top of the object for the woman to rest her foot on. Now that is a classy move :cool:

I can now see why they are rated #1 in food and service in the new Zagat survey.

"To invite a person to your house is to take charge of his (her) happiness for as long as he is under your roof."

Brillat Savarin

A Co-Worker from Work

• 1 month later...

Heading to Nicholas this weekend -- first time and can't wait. Has anyone been recently? Any recommendations from the current menu?

I understand that the restaurant allows diners to choose different dinner options. For instance, I'm interested in the tasting menu, whereas my wife is more likely to choose a 2 or 3 course meal. Anyone ever done this (at Nicholas or elsewhere)? Although my wife won't care, I suppose she'll be without a dish in front of her during 2 or 3 of my courses.

Also, for those that have done the wine pairings ($45 I think), did you find this a good value?

Thanks!!

Most restaurants won't serve only one tasting menu. I would call ahead to prevent being disappointed. Their tasting menu is a fair amount of food but it offers the opportunity to try many different dishes if both you and your wife order one of the two choices offered at each course.

Heading to Nicholas this weekend -- first time and can't wait.  Has anyone been recently?  Any recommendations from the current menu? 

I understand that the restaurant allows diners to choose different dinner options.  For instance, I'm interested in the tasting menu, whereas my wife is more likely to choose a 2 or 3 course meal.  Anyone ever done this (at Nicholas or elsewhere)?  Although my wife won't care, I suppose she'll be without a dish in front of her during 2 or 3 of my courses. 

Also, for those that have done the wine pairings ($45 I think), did you find this a good value? 

Thanks!!

The wine pairing was $45 for the tasting. The wines served were superb. The pork belly sous vide was delicious as well as the Filet Mignon Tartare with soy consomme. Everything was great though!

Brillat Savarin

A Co-Worker from Work

Most restaurants won't serve only one tasting menu.  I would call ahead to prevent being disappointed.  Their tasting menu is a fair amount of food but it offers the opportunity to try many different dishes if both you and your wife order one of the two choices offered at each course.

I figured the same Bryan. I did call and was told that they will serve one tasting menu.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Chez Nicholas tonight for the first time and although I will be mostly reiterating the praises from others, I wanted to post about my meal.

One of things I really like about the restaurant (and something that is rare) is the different dining options on the menu (2 and 3 course prix fixe, 4 course vegetarian prix fixe and 6 course tasting) and each person can order a different one! So often I am thwarted in my attempts at ordering a tasting menu because the whole table is required to order it and half my family is vegetarian, but that wasn't a problem here.

We started with an amuse of hamachi tartare in a salty soy sauce and the vegetarians got the roasted corn chowder.

For an appetizer, I had the Roasted Corn Chowder with lobster, cherry tomatoes and chanterelles. The soup had an amazingly strong flavor and was wonderful. Two others got the Scallops which were also delightful and the vegs each got a salad which I didn't taste.

The vegs got an extra course - a plate of sweet heirloom tomatoes, watermelon sorbet and peeled grapes. A refreshing course.

The main was probably the biggest disappointment for me. I ordered the Cod which was way too salty. My father tasted it and liked it so we switched his halibut with my cod. We mentioned the saltiness to the waiter who was concerned, but we assured him we were okay with the dishes after switching - even though I didn't like the cod, it was nice to know the waiter and kitchen would have been very accommodating if I had sent it back (something I rarely do). The vegs had a marscapone ravioli and another companion had the NY Strip Steak, cooked perfectly.

We had a cheese course for the table with four tasty cheeses - a double cream Camembert, a Petit Basque, Manchego and a creamy, pungent Muenster which was fantastic.

For dessert, we had the Warm Chocolate Cake, Blueberry something or other and Cantaloupe Soup with Cream Cheese Ice Cream. Sadly we didn't get to try the watermelon/strawberry shooter before our dessert that other tables had, but we did get an after-dessert treat of chewy nougat with nuts.

Overall, it was a great experience - the dining room was filled but quiet so we could all converse and the food was really extraordinary, as was the service. It has certainly lived up to its reputation!

• 1 month later...

Headed to Nicholas this past Saturday, and our experience was, in a word, superb. This was our second visit here, so while we were familiar with the restaurant, it had changed a bit because of the renovations that are taking place. Nicholas and Melissa (Melissa was our waitperson, we were so lucky!) are adding a bar/lounge, and converting the currently 20 seat dining room to a 50 seat dining room. So, their side dining room (probably a 30 seat or so) was still in operation. Melissa told us later on that in addition to the bar lounge they are adding, they will also have a 6 seat chef table. I’m not sure if it will continue past renovations, but for now they have valet parking, which was a blessing because it was raining like crazy on Saturday night. Valet came to my side (passenger) with the umbrella and walked me to the front door, then went back to get hubby (driver) and then take the car. We arrived before our friends who were joining us, and were promptly seated for an 8:15 reservation. Melissa offered us cocktails and we served probably the best apple martini I have ever had. Once our friends arrived, they ordered same, and then we perused the menu. We all decided on the 6 course tasting with the wine pairings. In hindsight, I wish I had brought if not a camera, at least pen and paper to better record what we had. I’ll try my best to recount, but really can’t give specifics on the wine pairing, other than that it was good! Started with amuse of yellowfin tuna in a citrus sauce – perfect. I had the filet mignon tartare appy, my friends had a sashimi/oyster/roasted calamari sampler. I was paired with a champagne, friends with a sauv. Blanc. I thoroughly enjoyed the steak, and friends said that the calamari was a bit chewy. Then onto day scallops (we all had) with a 7-grape Alscace. We all enjoyed. Then onto salmon (for me) and sable fish (for rest). I had a lovely pinot noir, and the rest had a white (no specs on that). My salmon had a horseradish foam that was perfect ( I guess I’m saying “perfect” a lot, but it just was). Friends raved about the sable fish. Then onto braised pulled pig (three of us) and one duck. The pulled pig had a cinnamon jus that we felt overpowered the dish. The diner with the duck pronounced it great. Another red for all of us, but I’m at a loss as to what it was. I know it was the last of a 2002, and Melissa said they were just receiving the 2003. Cheese course followed with a white dessert wine that was just a bit too sweet for all of us. The cheeses included two blues, a goat, a creamy Camembert, and some others that escape me (thanks no doubt at this point to the wine pairings) and some figs along with date nut bread. Dessert course included a warm choc Valhalla cake; a dollop of vanilla ice cream and a parsnip round with nutmeg served with a red dessert wine that had a hint of chocolate. We were celebrating a friend’s birthday, and so her plate was decorated with a marzipan “Happy Birthday”.

Service was incredible the entire evening, and our wait staff was very accommodating (having no problem with a refill request for my pinot noir). Nicholas was out and about, first walking the room in his chef whites, and then in a suit later to decant and pour what I can only guess was a really expensive bottle for the table behind me.

It is a dining experience like no other, and we had no problem parting with (yikes) $350 per couple.

• 6 months later...

I have been reading the NJ section reviews since the very beginning and there have been very few extraordinarys. The last one I remember, I believe, was the Ryland Inn. This will warrant a drive to Middletown during a week night. The NJ section arrives with the Sunday sections but I look forward to the review.

I don't think Karla Cook has rated any place extraordinar.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

That's funny. I just searched the Times archives and found the review of July 15, 2001 which David Corcorn gave the place an excellent.

Thanks. Will read the review now.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

• 2 months later...

Had my first experience at Nicholas this past Saturday despite living only 2 miles away but it definitely will not be my last.

We arrived a touch early and decided to check out the new bar that I have watched being built on my daily drive past. The bar was empty except for one other couple and it really felt like a totally separate venue rather than a "restaurant bar" where one might have a drink while waiting for a table. I think this feeling goes well with the concept of being able to order essentially the same menu as the restaurant presented tapas style, along with a very relaxed dress code. (They really should think about frosted windows however, or something else to block the lovely view of Rt. 35)

My apologies but for the life of me I cannot remember the amuse as it was a pretty long night. I toyed with the idea of the 6 course menu, but I really wanted to have the pork as a main course and it wasn't offered on the menu. Rather than make an issue, (which I am sure wouldn't have been a problem) we decided to stick with the 3 course menu.

We both started with the seared scallops with toasted almond vinaigrette, which were done to perfection. They have singly turned my wife, who has never ordered a scallop in her life, into a "can we have scallops tonight?" person. Perfectly seared, melt in your mouth.

Next was the pulled pork for me and the butter poached lobster for my wife. I must say that this dish (the lobster) was the most memorable restaurant dish I have tasted in a long time. The butter/bacon sauce was intense with the smoky flavor from the bacon but it did not overpower the lobster, which would have been excellent just on its own. (note: I think next time I order this dish I will ask for sauce on the side so I can taste the lobster both ways).

The pulled pork with cinnamon jus was very good, but maybe a little too "chopped" rather than "pulled". Contrary to other posters, I found the jus a little too timid, and would have preferred a touch more cinnamon flavor to it. I did love the parsnip puree.

As for wines, my wife had a half bottle of 2004 Puligny Montrachet (gotta love half bottles). I was undecided on a wine, and this is where Nicholas really shines. I had a conversation with the captain (who like all the staff was extremely professional and helpful) and then Nicholas (in suit) came over and suggested that since I may not want a whole bottle, he opens some special bottles to serve by the glass. He then gave me a taste of a 1994 Dominus, which was superb and at $25/glass was an excellent value.

The cheese course followed, which was very interesting and well presented, with dried fruits and raisin/nut bread. We chose a Manchego (ok), Camembert (better) and two outstanding selections, a triple cream Brie which was among the creamiest I have tasted, and my favorite, an Epoisses. I have never had this cheese before and I cannot wait to get some to serve this weekend. I had a glass of 2000 LBV to accompany the cheese.

Dessert followed with the Hazelnut Semifreddo for me and the Beignets for my wife. The Semifreddo was good, but not great. The Beignets were outstanding. My wife wasn't sure how to eat them, wanting to use a knife and fork. Nicholas passed by and whispered to her that it was perfectly ok to eat them with her fingers.

We ended the evening after 3+ hours with another glass of Montrachet for my wife and a 20yr Calvados for me. I cannot say enough good things about this experience from the food to the impeccable service.

We were planning on checking out the reincarnation of the Fromagerie under David Burke for our anniversary in August but I can guarantee I will be back at Nicholas before the end of the summer.

Edited by Taboni (log)

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!