• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Food and Wine Pairings

Abra

For the Kistler, I'll offer a couple of starter ideas I've been thinking about.

1) a tarte of salt cod puree - it's kind of a brandade de morue, but in a tarte incarnation, with a little tomato, on a crust. 

2) A cream of cashew and Armagnac soup with something else, something crunchy

Would you want either of those with the Chard?  Something completely different?

I'd want #1. I'm not a fan of wine with soup. I know, I know. I'm a wine prude.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

IMOP--I think both those would work well.

It is a shame you don't know which Kistler Chardonnay you are working with.

Kistler makes many different chards each vintage from various single vinyards as well as some blends.

They can each be quite different in flavor notes.

They all share the fact that they are very big-bold and distinctive with lots of personality.

Usually lots of fruit (tropical notes) and often a yeasty (leesy) note with toasted nuts.

(They are not quite Meursault's though in this regard) sometimes a touch of smokiness.

There will be oak (though these are not in the Leonetti league) Steve Kistler usually uses 50% new French Oak or less.

as for the Pinot--I nver heard of it. would love to know what it is though.

For the Kistler, I'll offer a couple of starter ideas I've been thinking about.

1) a tarte of salt cod puree - it's kind of a brandade de morue, but in a tarte incarnation, with a little tomato, on a crust. 

2) A cream of cashew and Armagnac soup with something else, something crunchy

Would you want either of those with the Chard?  Something completely different?

I'd want #1. I'm not a fan of wine with soup. I know, I know. I'm a wine prude.

Brad,

I don't understand your soup "thing."

Though I would generally not order a bottle of wine to go with a soup course--I do enjoy a glass of wine with most soups.

I like:

a crisp sauvignon blanc or a white Rioja or an albarino with gazpacho.

a glass of fino sherry with black bean soup (and a splash in the soup)

a nice chardonnay or white Burgunday with a Lobster Bisque

i also enjoy a good simple red with hearty soups like an Italian vegetable soup/minestrone.

often i will finish the wine I had as an aperitiff or first course with the soup though.

you really prefer water?

I must say I am suprised!

I like the idea of oxtails with the cab but then again I love oxtails as well as accompanying them with a big bold wine. I'd also suggest braised lamb shanks.

Brad's suggestion of the scallops sounds very appealing with the chardonnay. Salmon with a pinot noir is always a winner. I'm also very fond of grilled pork tendrloin with a nice pinot as well.

Another thought I had, offbeat though it might be, was perhaps to have the cab with desert served with a rich chocolate decadance cake.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

I must be the only person in the world who thinks that Cab and chocolate are a horrid combination!  Now there's a pairing I just don't get.

Abra you are right Cab and chocolate are a horrid combination. Best pairing is chocolate and Banyuls Grand Cru , a sweet dark red.

Edited by legourmet (log)

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

I must be the only person in the world who thinks that Cab and chocolate are a horrid combination!  Now there's a pairing I just don't get.

Nope. You're not. In fact, I don't really prefer any wine with chocolate. I prefer coffee. But if I am forced to have wine with chocolate, I'll opt for Banyuls, Maury, or Late Bottled Vintage Port. Some also like Muscat with chocolate, but for me that would depend on how dark/strong the chocolate is.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Banyuls is so hard to come by here, so I've never had it with chocolate, but I've always heard that it's a delicious combination.

Maybe I'll try harder to get some and use it for this dinner, although I've been thinking of something apple, to lighten things up a bit. Apple with Moscato, in general, right? Or something less obvious?

Maybe I'll try harder to get some and use it for this dinner, although I've been thinking of something apple, to lighten things up a bit.  Apple with Moscato, in general, right?  Or something less obvious?

It depends (of course). Apple what? How tart? How sweet? A general rule of thumb with pairing a wine with a dessert is that the wine should be sweeter than the dessert. Otherwise, the sweetness in the dessert can make the wine seem more astringent/less sweet than it might otherwise appear on its own.

Moscato/Muscat comes in fizzy (e.g. Moscato d'Asti) and still styles. I don't know what style you were thinking. But there are many late harvest options you can consider, including riesling, chardonnay, semillon, sauvignon blanc, chenin blanc, pinot gris, viognier. In general, you get more volume for your money with Moscato d'Asti. And it is usually lower in alcohol. One of my favorite producers is Elio Perrone, who makes a Sourgal (bottled shortly after harvest, lighter in style) and a Clarte (bottled later, a bit more depth).

Banyuls is so hard to come by here, so I've never had it with chocolate, but I've always heard that it's a delicious combination.

Maybe I'll try harder to get some and use it for this dinner, although I've been thinking of something apple, to lighten things up a bit.  Apple with Moscato, in general, right?  Or something less obvious?

Well yes, it depends on what you are serving. For instance a ripe red Burgundy fits well to an appelpancake with cinnamon and sugar.

The general rule says that sweet desserts ask for wine owning the same, or even more sweetness. I myself like pairings of Riesling Beerenausleese and "Tarte Tatin" or applestrudel or peach tarte.

Edited by legourmet (log)

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

Abra, I think your Basque Oxtail dish would work brilliantly with some Mencía from Bierzo as well.

I'm currently working on a Spanish wine list for a client and have learned that I truly love Spanish wine. It's been a brilliant tutorial and I now have many new favorites. Mencía is my latest kick. Kind of like cab franc with less overwhelming vegetal and more spice. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 1 month later...