• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: [HOUSTON] Duck Tongues?

greensNbeans

I just happened to see this post and thought I would add my two cents.  I believe you could get ducks tongues from either Hudson Valley Foie Gras or La Belle Farms (usually in a ten pound case at $9.00+/lb).  Due to the extremely high concentration of natural gelatin, I find it is best to cook it ina way that is similar to pigs feet.  First, braise the tongues, then, once cooled, remove the small, plastic tube like item from their center.  Gently chop up the tongues with a Chefs knife until they are in a rougly uniforn size.  Once you have the tongue meat set aside, saute some garlic and shallot in a pan with a little oil.  Add the duck tongues and cook them down until the geltain renders them into a crispy texture.  The finished product will yield an almost otherworldy flavor reminiscent of bacon.  Enjoy!

Wow

Chef coming from you, it's a must try! Thanks for your two cents! Please don't be a stranger, and stop by "Texas" more. Cheers

Due to the extremely high concentration of natural gelatin, I find it is best to cook it ina way that is similar to pigs feet.

Is it gelatin or collagen? Or is gelatin composed of collagen?

I believe what chef Bowles is speaking of is : when it (collegen or gelatin) is rendered it allows the meat to become crispy. I think that we can take HIS word for it - He was chef Tramanto's sous chef at Tru some years back and the youngest "best new chef" in the country. With all that said - "he's the man"

Thanks agian, ChefGEB

Due to the extremely high concentration of natural gelatin, I find it is best to cook it ina way that is similar to pigs feet.

Is it gelatin or collagen? Or is gelatin composed of collagen?

I believe what chef Bowles is speaking of is : when it (collegen or gelatin) is rendered it allows the meat to become crispy. I think that we can take HIS word for it - He was chef Tramanto's sous chef at Tru some years back and the youngest "best new chef" in the country. With all that said - "he's the man"

Thanks agian, ChefGEB

Not to mention that his recipe (from F&W) for quail with steel cut oats with green peas is one of my all time favorites. I use the oats as a side for all kinds of stuff.

To answer Kent's query, "It is well known that gelatin is a product of the structural and chemical degradation of collagen." If you really need more detail here is the whole piece :smile:.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog