• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

wine tastings

foodfun

Hi all,

My husband and I started a wine club in our area almost 20 years ago.  It has been a smashing success, but we are always looking for new ideas for tastings.

Anyone have any fresh ideas?  We are a very casual group.  Most of our tastings are pretty loosely put together, but occasionally we get quite serious.  In other words, anything goes.  Sometimes each member brings a wine that fits the evening's guidelines.  Other times, the host purchases the wine, and we split the cost.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

(1) Single grape Chardonnay champagne (e.g., Salon; Krug Clos de Mesnil; Dom Ruinart Blanc de Blancs; Mumm de Cramant; Jacques Selosse, Blanc de Blancs; Deutz Blanc de Blancs; Roederer Cristal).  Ideally old  :wink:

(2) Tasting of Moet & Chandon's single-estate champagne (there are at least three, and they may or may not be available in the US; I have not checked, but I saw them last at Fauchon, Paris -- an overpriced retail outlet).  Alternatively, comparison of various widely available Moet & Chandon champagne (e.g., Nectar Imperial, Brut Imperial, White Star). Note M&C is not my favorite champagne-maker.

(3) Comparison of Canadian (e.g., Inniskillin) versus German Ice Wine

(4) Comparison of Certain Guigal wines (e.g., La Turque, La Landone, spelling, etc.  :wink: