• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

USDA Prime meats at Sprouts

planojim

I was at Sprouts last night in Plano, and they had some USDA Prime top sirloin steaks for $4.99/lb. I don't think I've ever seen that grade of meat at a store before. I looked at Kroger and Tom Thumb, and all they had were Select and Choice. I don't eat red meat much, unless it's brisket, so am I right in thinking that USDA Prime in a supermarket is unusual?

I have seen Prime at Central Market.

The $4.99/lb makes me wonder if it is a typo. I have seen packages at that price at Kroger marked USDA Top Sirloin, which is ambiguous, but with no claim of Prime.

Central Market always carries prime ribeye, strip and filet at around $18+/lb. I've seen prime ribeye at Randall's for $14/lb. Some sort of sale I think. Never seen prime sirloin ever before anywhere. If you're going to get anything prime, why bother with just sirloin?