• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

good sake lists in vancouver

jhiroshi

I was at Sushi Bar Wabi Sabi a couple of times in the last three days. The food was excellent and so was the sake list. I'm wondering where else in Vancouver I can go to find a good selection of sake and servers who are knowledgeable about sake.

James

James,

I have not been in some time but I have heard very good things about the sake list at Ichibankan on Thurlow. They have completed a remodelling and have changed from a sushi spot to a "Jazz & sake" style restaurant. I have heard that they have over 50 different sakes on their menu.

Derek

The "new" Ichibankan has a great selection of sake.

Personally, I think it was a mistake for this place to lose the conveyor belt and remodel as they did. The place always used to be funky and full. Now it's chic but empty. Is that progress?

But they do have a great selection of sake.

A little off topic, but this Sake is at Kits Wine Shop. Think I might stop by on my way home.

Biko Sparkling Sake 330ml (NV - $29.40)

"We fell in love with this when we tried it. Fermented in the traditional champenoise method, the yeast in the 2nd bottle fermentation imparts a delicate salmon tinge, and adds a richer note to the palate. The only one of its kind, and just delicious."

Gastronomista

We took our son to the Zen restaurant in West Van for his birthday last weekend. They have an excellent sake list and, best of all, a sample tasting selection of cold sakes for, like, $15. This gives you three very high-end sake samples in a nifty shot-glass rack. My wife and I split the sampling and it was more than adequate to get a sense of the differences between the sakes. The one we liked best was, of course, the more expensive. If I wasn't into my second bottle of merlot right now (I'm not usually this lubricated on a Thursday but my wife's father died last week and things have been hard, especially since we're trying to make sure our son still enjoys his birthday....) I would remember the brand. Anway, Zen has a great sake list, the sushi is top drawer, and the atmosphere remarkably unstuffy for a high-end restaurant. Recommended.

Paul B

Liberty Wine Merchants at Park Royal has more than a dozen sakes, of all types. They've also got a handout called Sake Simple that tells you more than you need to know about different sakes. Then to top it all off, their manager Tyler can and will tell you about the nuances of each. Not a restaurant, so you can't buy them by the glass, but many come in bottles under 400 ml.

Bob McLeod

VOX BACCULUS HIC VADIS IN VITRIO JUBILIAM

The road goes on forever and the party never ends