• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinatown Restaurant Recommendations

GaijinGirl

...but was hoping to get a few good recommendations on a good family restaurant in Chinatown....

Now - my mother in law is bouncing back and forth between Italian and Chinese. (She's threatened to take everyone to a place in the Paramus Mall for her 75th birthday feast!)

While me and Chinatown are best of pals, I like exotic. The FAMILY is Irish and somewhat more mellow in their tastes. So what I'm looking for NOW (sorry, guys!!!) is good, decent, real Chinese food - classy enough for a 75 birthday, but with enough "un-weird" options that my in-laws don't freak out. (And yet, I have a chance to enjoy myself, too.)

I've been researching the options and old posts, and think that Wo Hop or Peking Duck House might be the answer. Or is Wo Hop too 'divey"? (And I know from the old posts to stay away from Fuleen...) Any thoughts would be appreciated.

(Maybe I'll just take them to a Filipino place and eat Baluut in front of them! :biggrin::biggrin: )

Mochi, Foi Thong and Rojak - what more can a girl want from life?

http://www.frombruneiandbeyond.com

I'd vote for Peking Duck, as much because of the atmosphere as the food. Both are nice and both are easy on those unacustomed to Chinatown's delights.

With a couple of excepetions, I don't think the food at Wo Hop is all that great and it's also a little dingy.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Personally I prefer Sweet & Tart to Congee Village, but they are both solid restaurants.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Congee Village has some scary stuff on the menu, though, so depending on how easily your relatives get scared, you might be better off at Peking Duck.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Peking Duck has good duck and not bad Shanghi Style streamed dumplings. Not sure about the rest of the menu. Oriental Garden has decent decor, and offers some american-chinese stuff, although not what they are best at. Not that i've eaten there, but Mr. Tang's in Chinatown might serve your purpose. There's also Shun Lee Cafe on the upper west side, pricy for what you get but not bad, with decent decor and service.

Congee Village has some scary stuff on the menu, though, so depending on how easily your relatives get scared, you might be better off at Peking Duck.

Your point is well made, but of course, her relatives don't have to have the goose web dish or pig's blood congee (not even listed in English on the menu). There's plenty of chicken, beef, pork, fish, seafood, vegetables, even lamb on Congee Village's menu. Basically, you can be as non-adventurous as you like; it's up to you.

Michael aka "Pan"

Your point is well made, but of course, her relatives don't have to have the goose web dish or pig's blood congee (not even listed in English on the menu). There's plenty of chicken, beef, pork, fish, seafood, vegetables, even lamb on Congee Village's menu. Basically, you can be as non-adventurous as you like; it's up to you.

If I go with my folks, they just don't need to order stuff like that, and they'll be fine. If I go with my sister, she'll spend an hour reading the menu, freaking out over every thing that sounds "disgusting" to her, and will interrogate everyone within earshot about the specifics of what's on her plate, just to make sure "nothing icky" got in there.

It's not worth it.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Perhaps try to get one of the sequestered Rooms at Congee Village. I don't know what your budget is, but I got to congee village early one evening and they let my party sit in those rooms and order from the normal menu (no extra fee). You might also plan in advance and even poll those in your party to see if there are any dietary restrictions and then discuss a menu with the staff of the restaurant.

I went to a birthday party last February at Sweet and Tart and, even though there were several vegetarians present, everthing served was decided upon a week in advance and it was a very nice experience for everybody.

The nice thing about Congee Villiage, opposed to Jimmy Sung's (near Grand Central), is that, because of its location, you can feed a larger group for considerably less. It is my experience, in Manhattan, that when you get out of Chinatown (Jimmy Sungs in midtown, Shanghai Pavillion UES) prices go up and you are served tea in western style cups (Grand Sicuan restaurants are an exception, naturally).

Perhaps you already know this but if you go to Congee Village, order the House Special Chicken; it is a winner and everyone will love it.

Edited by mascarpone (log)

Well...actually, voting has completed, and everyone decided on Italian - Robertos, at Arthur Avenue. (I'll report back on that!)

Re: Congee Village - if we'd gone for Chinese, *I* would have loved CV, but--believe it or not--the inlaws are sensitive enough that if they'd even SEEN frog on the menu, they would have griped through the whole meal. (Dryden, your comment about your sister is DEAD ON with what a good number of my inlaws would do, especially my two sister in laws!)

My mother in law probably would have not minded (although she wouldn't have ordered it.) In the past, she's willingly gone with us to Nyona, and enjoyed it. They would have liked the decor, though. I personally have only had drinks at Congee Village - great prices, for a Manhattan drink! :smile:

Edited by GaijinGirl (log)

Mochi, Foi Thong and Rojak - what more can a girl want from life?

http://www.frombruneiandbeyond.com

[...]Re: Congee Village - if we'd gone for Chinese, *I* would have loved CV, but--believe it or not--the inlaws are sensitive enough that if they'd even SEEN frog on the menu, they would have griped through the whole meal.  (Dryden, your comment about your sister is DEAD ON with what a good number of my inlaws would do, especially my two sister in laws!)[...]

I guess I'm lucky I don't know anyone like that.

For the record, I dislike frog, but that's neither here nor there.

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm not crazy about frog, either, although the ones I had at Pierre Gagnaire were pretty good...

...but that's a topic for a different board.