• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Feature Article on Hackensack dining

Jason Perlow

Diverse, lively restaurants dress up Hackensack

Comprehensive peice on ethnic dining in the town, with mentions of some eG favorites and new places I definitely want to try.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

GOODNESS! Who knew?!? :laugh:

Note that the Brazilian place he refers to as Green Grill is Green Fields Churrascaria, at least according to the sign on their building. I went a few weeks ago.

Edit: And I still haven't gotten my *ss over to Wondee's. What's my problem??

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Ah Wondee's. I've been too busy cooking to dine out much, but once the summer produce has run its course, keep your eyes on the ISO thread.

Sorry I guess this is a social posting that doesn't advance the cause of culinary belles lettres. Maybe no one will notice.

P.S. Intriguing that the Brazilian steakhouse is Korean owned. The cooks are probably Chinese. Does any of this matter?

Aha, the linked thread details more about the schizoid nature of this place. Most interesting. :laugh:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Yeah I read this..it reminded me that I need to go back to Wondee's. I thought it was pretty well done.

Such a great Thai restaurant. I won't be getting back to Hackensack for awhile, and I'll definitely miss Wondee's.

I really like their crispy duck salad and several of the curry dishes. So good, and more than reasonably priced.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Great article. In search of a culinary adventure today, I went to Martino's Market to check out their lunch buffet. Let me tell you, it was absolutely terrific. They had about 10 different dishes: vodka penne, meatballs, cheese ravioli, Italian style chicken and potatoes, fried flounder, linguini with clams, chicken piccata, eggplant rollatini, pasta e fagoli, sausage and one or two other things I can't remember. The food was delicious, with the only slight miss being the chicken piccata, with the chicken being a bit dry and overcooked, but everything else was top-notch stuff, in some cases the best I've had in a long time (the eggplant rollatini, sausage, and vodka penne were particularly good. ) The place is very OLD SCHOOL, and about as casual as it gets. It's in probably what is a renovated house in a fairly gritty section of Hackensack and the crowd seemed to be real local, including a few police officers. There are a few small tables in the front of the store, and two larger tables with folding chairs in the back, and everyone sits together. I usually feel awkward with such setups, but I was pretty comfortable here after a few minutes. The owners, the Martinos, were as friendly as can be and very welcoming. Mr. Martino spent some time sitting and chatting with several of the regular customers, showing them some of the many family pictures adorning the back room. The buffet is $10. I wasn't sure whether to tip, but I thought I should (even though I got the impression that most people didn't) so I paid $13 for the meal, a soda and a tip. The meal was wonderful, the price was right, and the owners couldn't have been nicer. Very highly recommended.

Good article, lots of good info. The only part that irked me was when he calls Coach House Diner a "Greek" restaurant. Now that's a REAL stretch, and he should have just called them a diner! (Lots of more authentic Greek places in the surrounding towns, River Edge, Englewood)