• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday BBQ Party

woodburner

Rewind:

This past January a good friend inquired of my services for a 40ish Birthday party for his dear wife, of which I happily obliged my time and equipment. The final and many times revised meat menu consists of Pulled pork, beef brisket, pork ribs, and chicken.

Here we are some 8 months later, and the smoke starts here on Saturday evening, for a Sunday party.

I have no problem documenting with pictures the prep and cook, as long as there is some interest.

Yea or Nay?

woodburner

fire up the camera

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

ok

It's 11:00 am Saturday here in upstate NY where I call home. Weather is overcast with clouds and possible showers expected this evening and Sunday morning. This is good news, since the bbq kicks off Sunday afternoon with a forecast of clearing by then.

I'm going to start brining the chicken shortly. I tend to work backwards with chicken. I decide on the finishing sauce, and In this case it will be a Caribbean theme. I want to make sure the brine contains spices to enhance, and not collide with my finishing sauce.

I have to operate slow and methodical from here on in. I'll be sleepless until Sunday night after the party is over.

I'm looking forward to this.

woodburner

Here is an overview of the meat and fowl to be cooked. We have twelve racks of 3 1/2 down, loin back pork ribs, 15 lbs of chicken parts, one beef brisket flat, and two 6 1/2 lb. pork butts.

gallery_11593_1640_110623.jpg

The bulk of the cooking will be done at the party site on Sunday, as you see here:

gallery_11593_1640_63035.jpg

I'll be starting the pork butts, here at my house late tonight, followed by the beef brisket, to start cooking Sunday morning, on a smaller cooker.

Mid morning Sunday I'll take the butts and brisket up to the party location and finish those in the larger cooker along with the ribs and chicken.

woodburner

What's the full menu, Woodburner? Or are you just handling the meat? (Looks like you'll have enough on your hands just with all that meat!)

What's the full menu, Woodburner? Or are you just handling the meat? (Looks like you'll have enough on your hands just with all that meat!)

yes, i'm handling the just the protien end of things.

this past spring, i had the pleasure of meeting and talking to chris lilly, famed of big bob gibson's bbq. he was here in upstate ny, shortly after the bbq block party in nyc. we talked about cookers in general, and just chewed the fat. i inquired of his technique for injecting shoulders at memphis in may competition. consisting of apple juice and water, salt, sugar, and wooster sauce, i injected these two butts yesterday. here they have been sitting in smoke for about 6 hours.

gallery_11593_1640_32462.jpg

the brisket is now sitting under the butts, and in a few hours, i'll move everthing to my large cooker at the party site.

woodburner

the plan was executed perfectly. dean started my cooker going at about 7 am this morning, and i pulled the pork and beef from my cooker at home and drove the short few miles to his house at about 9 am.

now here we are about 8 hours into this cook, and the ribs are started.

gallery_11593_1640_216068.jpg

i'll go back about noon and start the chicken.

woodburner

the plan was executed perfectly. dean started my cooker going at about 7 am this morning, and i pulled the pork and beef from my cooker at home and drove the short few miles to his house at about 9 am.

now here we are about 8 hours into this cook, and the ribs are started.

gallery_11593_1640_216068.jpg

i'll go back about noon and start the chicken.

woodburner

That is one impressive bunch of meat. What wood are you using for your smoke? The cooker is gas fired?