• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apples, Honey, Fishheads, & Rosh Hashan Traditions

Pam R

I agree with you on teiglach, Pam; I've never had much love for them. I'll eat some on Rosh Hashanah, but I don't have nearly the affection for them that I have for hamantashen. The usual store-bought honeycake is just OK, but I believe a well-spiced home-made honey cake could be very good.

Michael aka "Pan"

The usual store-bought honeycake is just OK, but I believe a well-spiced home-made honey cake could be very good.

well spiced and full of alcohol :wub:

My aunt has always made the honey cakes in our family - though I've baked some at work, I always used our 'work recipe' - this is the first time I put together my own recipe - and I love it! lots of spice, the all-important buckwheat honey, a hint of orange and ... well ... rye. Yummy.

Pan, if you're looking for a new fruit to try this year why not go with physallis aka husk cherries aka ground cherries? You can find them at the Union Square greenmarket. Cherimoya's are another interesting option.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

My stuffed grape leaves are almost ready, and it's a good thing, you guys have made me so hungry! Pam, I'll take an order of that teiglach you don't care for!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06