• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best Food Blog You Can't Read

MarketStEl

Is it the crush of traffic that has turned the path to Minor Gourmandry into a dead end street?

Or has Andy's host pulled a fast one on him?

Entering the official URL for the site (embedded in the above link) produces a Not Found error. Googling "minor gourmandry" produces this working URL for the main page:

http://prettytothink.typepad.com/minor_gourmandry/

but the links from the main page, all of which begin from the official URL, go nowhere.

When might the full glory of Minor Gourmandry be restored, pray tell? And what sacrifices are the hosts asking us to perform?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

This just happens sometimes, I expect it's the typepad server getting crushed by access to various blogs, not just his... He's not hosting it on his own machine.

http://prettytothink.typepad.com/minor_gourmandry/ is working fine a minute ago. But I have seen it down, or reduced to text-only on occasion.

I suppose some day when he sells the movie rights to his story, he can host it on a more reliable server!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

This just happens sometimes, I expect it's the typepad server getting crushed by access to various blogs, not just his... He's not hosting it on his own machine.

http://prettytothink.typepad.com/minor_gourmandry/ is working fine a minute ago. But I have seen it down, or reduced to text-only on occasion.

I suppose some day when he sells the movie rights to his story, he can host it on a more reliable server!

Can I just say that I want Angelina Jolie to play me in the film.... :rolleyes:

The main page of Minor Gourmandry is accessible, but trying to click on any ctegory thereafter gets you the "Page Not Available" error.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The main page of Minor Gourmandry is accessible, but trying to click on any ctegory thereafter gets you the "Page Not Available" error.

Dunno, maybe I'm living a charmed life, all the links are working for me at 11pm on saturday.

Anyway, this is the first time I noticed the "sponsors" box on the right... Andy, are you really getting sponsorship from the Food Network, or Iron Chef America? Or do they just kick you something if people click through your link?

Heck, I'll click through and watch the clam video if it might buy you a textbook or something, or a nice veggie burger at the Moosewood....

philadining.com

Something's amiss but I'm out of the loop.

The URL minorgourmandry.com is simply a domain name mask, the true host of my site is typepad and so the real URL is prettytothink.typepad.com - this is why links to certain auxiliary pages lose the "domain name mask." I've been getting numerous complaints regarding access problems of late, and to them I can only respond with a shrug and a sigh as of now.

Sometimes it's up, sometimes it's down. I'd like to say the fluttering is the after effects of being a "Best Of," but I'm not entirely sure it is. My page is photo heavy, and when people access the site from slow connections it is very possible they bog down the server for other people. Two many slow connections = times outs and missing pages.

When you are accessing the site, does the banner with the pear always appear (question directed at anyone willing to answer)? Your answer may help.

Also, Jeff, I was contacted by a Food Network-related marketing agency that paid me a flat fee to put up the link. No I am not "selling out," I'm still an independent. (Um, let me amend that: Will Blog For Free Food.)

How many per month do the more popular blogs get? I've been wondering about that. There's one that's been around for a couple of years, claims 700,000 hits per month. I don't know if that' really representative of focused readers or people who click on accidently through search engines for a topic and then quickly leave.

Oops, don't mean to hijack the thread.

The link works fine for me. :biggrin:

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Also, Jeff, I was contacted by a Food Network-related marketing agency that paid me a flat fee to put up the link. No I am not "selling out," I'm still an independent. (Um, let me amend that: Will Blog For Free Food.)

Hey more power to ya! But if we catch you waxing rhapsodic about great Rachel Ray is, we're coming up to Ithaca and deprogramming you.

As for your tech problems, domain name-servers do flake out every once in a while, but usually not as much as you're experiencing.... you could write all your links with the absolute URLs,

eg -http://www.prettytothink.typepad.com/pagename.html- etc, instead of using minorgourmandry.com if that's causing problems.

In any case, keep blogging, hopefully the IT guys will straighten the rest out!

Sorry, I'n getting further OT than chefzadi!

(But while we're off track, "hits" doesn't tell you much, "page views" might actually have some meaning....)

Edited by philadining (log)

philadining.com

Something's amiss but I'm out of the loop.

When you are accessing the site, does the banner with the pear always appear (question directed at anyone willing to answer)? Your answer may help.

I always see the banner with the pear, and have had no problem accessing the main page or clicking through links to photos, etc.

Hey more power to ya! But if we catch you waxing rhapsodic about great Rachel Ray is, we're coming up to Ithaca and deprogramming you.

As for your tech problems, domain name-servers do flake out every once in a while, but usually not as much as you're experiencing.... you could write all your links with the absolute URLs,

eg -http://www.prettytothink.typepad.com/pagename.html- etc, instead of using minorgourmandry.com if that's causing problems.

In any case, keep blogging, hopefully the IT guys will straighten the rest out!

Sorry, I'n getting further OT than chefzadi!

(But while we're off track, "hits" doesn't tell you much, "page views" might actually have some meaning....)

since we're off track.

I agree page views mean more, it shows that people are reading not just clicking through.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Banner with the pear? What banner with the pear?

I get no banners using the actual site name on prettytothink.typepad.com -- and minorgourmandry.com still produces Not Found errors as of Wednesday 8/17/05.

In addition, the images, whose URLs are not routed through the domain name mask and thus should load, don't. Clicking on the ALT tags embedded in them, however, displays them in new windows.

This help things any?

So Lil' Spot didn't float your boat? Okay, I can see that.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3