• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

wine tour lower mainland

ckwok

Today we went on a road trip arranged by one of my neighbours.

We went on a wine tour of the wineries in Langley.

I was pleasantly surprised that we actually produce wine in langley.

For the food and wine enthusiasts...I highly recommend touring out in Langley.

We went to the following wineries.

Glenugie Winery, Langley BC - The Vineyard

Domaine de Chaberton -

township 7

Chester

Today we went on a road trip arranged by one of my neighbours.

We went on a wine tour of the wineries in Langley.

I was pleasantly surprised that we actually produce wine in langley.

For the food and wine enthusiasts...I highly recommend touring out in Langley.

We went to the following wineries.

Glenugie Winery, Langley BC - The Vineyard

Domaine de Chaberton -

township 7

Chester

Glad you had a good trip. I'm a big fan of the Chardonnay and Merlot Rose produced at Township 7. Glenugie is produicng some decent priced Pinot Noir and barrle frementedChardonnay. Did you have lunch at Domaine de Chaberton? Great French bistro food and large portions. On your next visit drive down the road to Vista Doro farms for some great local produce, chocolate, or even a cooking class.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Next timeyou are out wine touring, try Lotusland (out 16th all the way to Abbotsford) - their Merlot is outstanding. Also stop in a The Fort Wine Co. in Ft. Langley (264th and 88th - only 90% sure on the 88th). They do all fruit wines and while I wouldn't serve these with a meal (with one exception), they are great for sipping on these warm summer evenings...especially the White Cranberry. The exception noted above is their blackberry dessert wine (I think it is called "Wild West"). It is very, very good with chocolate desserts or with a cheese plate. Almost port like but with this big, fruity nose and taste. Yum!!

Tie in your trip in the Abbottsford area to include a lunch or dinner at Restaurant 62, located in a non-descript medical plaza on the left side as you head in the center of town from the highway. Great food, wines and service!!

or...(shameless plug coming)...

drive another 15 minutes and visit us at Bravo in Downtown Chilliwack (the only Fraser Valley restaurant to win an award at the Playhouse Wine Festival 2005 or to merit a recent visit/favourable review by Mia Stainsby...."4 1/2 stars for ambience").

Besides...corn season is here! :cool:

Edited by bigdaddy (log)

Damian du Plessis

Bravo Restaurant & Lounge

Chilliwack, BC

Hey BigDaddy...nice to see you here...we are neighbours!

Not to encourage people to pass over Bravo or anything :laugh: , but new additions to Chilliwack include a family style indian restaurant and the reopening of The Mill Street Cafe, by a guy whose name I cannot recall but he was the maitre d' at Le Crocodile for nearly 20 years. Both well worth a visit.

What are you doing with corn at Bravo, BD?

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Hey BigDaddy...nice to see you here...we are neighbours! 

Not to encourage people to pass over Bravo or anything  :laugh: , but new additions to Chilliwack include a family style indian restaurant and the reopening of The Mill Street Cafe, by a guy whose name I cannot recall but he was the maitre d' at Le Crocodile for nearly 20 years.  Both well worth a visit.

Is that Jean Pierre from Le Croc ? Very French with a beard ? I will be out asap !!

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Actually, the corn comment was meant as a joke (since that seems

to be the main thing people associate with Chilliwack at this time of year!)

Don't know if you've been in yet Badiane...but please make a point of saying hello if you do. We've been open over a year now and things are going amazingly well.

I used to be the manager at Delilah's (was there for 18 years!) and my partner was the main cocktial guy there.Between us we have more than 50 years in the biz.Our room was put together by Wade King (the creative force behind such Vancouver rooms as Circolo, Delilah's, the re-vamped Caffe de Medici,etc) and is like an urban oasis for the large influx of us "city folk" moving out this way. We have never advertised, but based solely on "word of mouth" (and good press) are lucky enough to be reservation-only most weekends (which also seems to be a new phenomena out here, based on people's reaction when they can't just saunter in on a Friday and get seated!).

Hope to see you sometime...

Edited by bigdaddy (log)

Damian du Plessis

Chilliwack, BC

Is that Jean Pierre from Le Croc ? Very French with a beard ? I will be out asap !!

Yes yes...that's the guy! I had to rifle the recycling bin to try and find his name. We drove by yesterday and peered in the windows...nice white tablecloth atmosphere. Unfortunately they didn't have a menu posted, but I am going to try and stop in for lunch this week.

The Mill Street Cafe had sunk to a very sad level prior to changing hands...the cheese list was actually funny...Gruyere, Emmental and Havarti - regular AND Jalepeno!! I understand that Jean-Pierre has considerably 'Le Croc'd' the place, including the Alsatian Onion Tart. VERY excited about that. Not that I don't have the recipe, but still, someone else cooking for me is a nice change.

Big Daddy, I have only been in a couple of times and it's been good. Of course I knew all about you long before you opened - Lynn at Chilies is a friend, and the guys from Objekts (sp?) have good things to say as well. We will be back and of course will make a point of saying hi. And of trying to scam a tour of the rooftop garden.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

The Mill Street Cafe had sunk to a very sad level prior to changing hands...the cheese list was actually funny...Gruyere, Emmental and Havarti - regular AND Jalepeno!!

Damian du Plessis

Chilliwack, BC

How exciting to read about the dining options in Chilliwack. We drive through on our way to and from the Okanagan - it is a natural place to stop, especially on the way down. Up until this point it was Earls, which isn't a bad thing at all but it is nice to have options. I am looking forward to meeting you.

Cheers,

Karole