• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kdl1221

kdl1221

Deleted

Deleted 

kdl1221

kdl1221

I have exhausted all resources on my own... and on the edge of madness have turned to you. A friend of mine cooked the other night with a vegetable that I had not seen before (I am pretty sure anyway). She did not know what is was in English, but in Vietnamese it is called (and this spelling I know will be bad...)

"wei ting" (kinda like waiting but with a pause in the middle)

It was about the size and shape of a lemon, but was brown and fuzzy/hairy.

She peeled this, and the inside was white, maybe little flecks of very light brown, but barely noticeable. In my opinion, it had no smell, no real taste-raw or cooked. It was firm, but soft enough you could leave marks easily with your fingernail.

She said she bought this from the same chain of korean markets I shop at, but there are three... and trying to explain what I am looking for in English, using vietnamese, to a Korean woman just leaves us laughing. Browsing several stores has been of no help. My friend explained that if you can not find this vegetable, that (she thought) a sweet potato is the equvilant... ?? This is driving me insane!

It is not celery root, pretty sure it's not batata, nor jicama.

Help?