• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I-95 roadtrip suggestions

katbert

Sunday, I'm headed on a roadtrip going Philadelphia-Virginia Beach-Marathon, FL and it looks like we'll be seeing a whole lot of I-95 on the way down. I'm planning a few bbq stops somewhere in the Carolinas, but I'm also looking for good places for pie or ice cream or other local goodness. Suggestions?

I would have expected you to receive much expert advice on this, but since you're leaving soon and have no replies, I'll throw in my attempt.

Virginia Beach is big (geographically) and either touristy (on the beach) or middle class suburbs (everywhere else). There's no downtown. If you want the latest place or finer dining, I'm sure you can get current advice from someone who lives there, but my recollection is that most of that occurs in the neighboring (and originally larger) City of Norfolk. Growing up on the beach proper (a long time ago and with no money), my favorites were Zero's for subs (there are several, it's a local chain) and Worrell Brothers for steamed shrimp (it's more bar than restaurant, but it is on the strip). On return trips more recently, I've liked a place called The Lucky Star (sort of a bistro place, away from the strip, with good crab cakes).

If you want to try Virginia-style BBQ (chopped, cooked in a vinegar-based sauce, and served on a hamburger bun with cole slaw on the sandwich), get in the car and drive to Doumar's on Monticello Street in downtown Norfolk (about 30 min from the strip). The place is old (they still have curb service, if you're so inclined) and somewhat of a local institution. Since you mentioned ice cream, Doumar's comes with the added bonus of being the inventor of the ice cream cone (or at least they say so). They still use an antique, functioning monstrosity of a waffle cone maker that I'm sure would send an industrial safety engineer into shock. The ice cream itself is really nothing special, but the cones and the other old-fashioned fountain creations make it quite interesting.

Traveling down I-95, I'll recommend two BBQ places in each of NC, SC and GA. In each case, one is right off the interstate and is good, the other is further off the interstate but, at least in my opinion, better.

North Carolina:

Close- Moore's in Kenly. Within a mile East of I-95 on the right. Good NC meat, good side veggies. Served with hush puppies.

Great- Wilbur's in Goldsboro. NC people take their 'que seriously, and I'm not trying to start a fight, but it's the best I've had in Carolina. I say it's well worth getting 30 min. off the interstate; when traveling, my family does not necessarily agree.

South Carolina:

Close- Maurice’s in Santee. Look for the lighted sign of a giant pork sandwich just South of the Santee exit. I don’t think the restaurant name is even on the sign. Maurice’s is actually based in Columbia, but this remote outpost serves good SC-style meat (bright yellow sweet mustard sauce) and hash (a vegetable-meat puree served over white rice). Some people object to Maurice’s pro-Southern politics (he ran for SC governor a long time ago). I personally ignore the Confederate “gift shop” in the tiny lobby and just eat the food, but if you prefer not be associated with such stuff, consider yourself forewarned.

Great-Sweatmans in Hilly Hill. My favorite SC-style. It’s buffet, but you only get one trip through the line, so pile it high. Last I knew, only open Thurs-Sat. Strangely, I seem able to convince my family this is worth the 30 min. (each way) diversion, even though I personally think Wilbur’s is better.

Georgia:

Close- The GA Pig near Brunswick. Just East of I-95 on US 82 South of Brunswick; look for a shack on the left after the last gas station. Smoky, meaty sandwiches on toasted buns run through a sandwich press (common technique in Southeast Georgia). Unimaginative sides, but great sandwich. Take a couple with you. Don’t drink the (sulfur) water. No kidding, the meat is really good.

Great- Vandy’s in Statesboro. This is an hour East of I-95, and perhaps not worth the travel if you have no other reason to head that way. Nonetheless, I’ll say that I am a fan of Brunswick stew, and I think theirs is the best I’ve had, anywhere. The meat and sauce are good, too, as is the coconut pie (they don’t make it, but a local bakery does). Coffee is 10¢. Should you go, find the one downtown on Vine Street, not the second location at the mall.

After sampling the style of four states (I’m not sure Florida has its own BBQ style), you can let us know which you think is best and start a real impassioned discussion.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

I might add in Sonny's BBQ it's a chain I discovered on the way to Florida and the food and quality is great for the money!

Please help me too! I am heading from Northeastern NJ to Ware Shoals, SC to visit my sister for the first time down there a week from today... I will be solely on 95 or major highways the whole way and since its a long trip I dont want to wander far off the beaten track.

Any great restaurant suggestions or ho/motel suggestions (with a pool!) would be greatly appreciated. (of course there is a Sonny's BBQ down that way so I'm going there!)

Please pass the word on - I need your help - thanks!

email me as well please Anonymouze@aol.com

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

You may be too exhasted from driving and too close to the end of your travels to want to deal with big city traffic by the time you hit Miami, but you might consider pulling off to stock up on Cubano Sandwiches if you're not.

Here's an NYT article that runs down the joys of Cubanos and gives the names, if not the exact addresses, of a few top purveyors.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Thanks for the suggestions so far; I've already checked in with Holly and he was very helpful esp. about the bbq aspect which is why I was also looking for other food places also. I have this dream about pie, which I've already lived. And you know how nothing's ever as good as the memories. The best pie I think I've eaten outside of the homemade-with-love kind, which is to say pie that you can buy at some establishment with some regularity, was from Moody's motel up in Maine- it was berry season. I'm going to map out some stops for this trip, although it looks like it's going to be less leisurely than previously planned b/c now my friend has some time pressure about getting a teaching job, meaning less ice cream for me. I just went to a bbq place around the corner from me two days ago during the heat wave and I'm gearing up for more. mm. Also I'd like to see some real Cuban sandwiches. More mmm.

If you have time for an ice cream stop in central Florida, you can taste a local favorite of my home town, Ritter's, which is two or three miles from the interstate.

Directions: In the area of the Daytona beaches exits, take Exit 256 off of I-95, and go east. Go under I-95 and stay to the left. Turn left off of Dunlawton Ave, on to Clyde Morris Blvd. This is not far. Ritter's is on your right, in maybe a mile or two... 4629 Clyde Morris Blvd., Port Orange.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Katbert:

While you're having those Cubanos don't forget to order a batido, aka a fruit milk shake. The batidos de mamey live in my dreams. Mamey is a Central American fruit with salmon colored flesh that looks like a hairy football and tastes like a subtle almondy and vaguely tropical mango with a similarly fibrous texture. It's really good and very unique.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol