• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good value degustation in BCN

Im in the lobby waiting for my girlfriend to get dressed............ :huh: and were going out to eat a tasting menu somewhere. We were at the Cata 1.81 (?) last night and the food was very good, but the service was not...The cooks deserved better than that. So if anyone can recomend a goo place, please do. Quickly! :biggrin: hehe...

We thought Cinc Sentits was an excellent value and tasting menus seem to be their specialty. As for service, the afternoon we were there, Jordi was trying out a new waitress and it seemed as if he was unhappy with her performance. I had no problem with the service, but then his charming sister, who's the sommelier also doubled as hostess for us.

I fear I'm too late. You have to give a little warning next time.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Ditto on Bux recs for dinning and more notice. Ca' Pep although not fancy or easy to do if you just ask the chef to "bring what he likes" you will have plate after plate of yummie food. Cinc Sentis is probably one of the best valus in BCN. The food is top shelf, the service is as well. The menu plus wine at 60 euros is a give away. It was one of the better meals we had in Spain. Echaurran ( in Ezcarray) was the other outstandin meals. Of course I could eat at Pinoxos everyday for the rest of my life.

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

I was in BCN last February and I completely agree with everyone's praise of Cinc Sentits. But I was also travelling on a cook's salary, so Cinc Sentits was good value, but certainly not inexpensive(especially when you're exchanging Canadian dollars for euros)

This isn't really in Cinc Sentits's league, but then again this reccomendation is based on the request for inexpensive degustation menus.

Kaiku is a basque influenced restaurant in Barceloneta(I forget the name of the street), but it is the last restaurant on the boulevard before you reach the beach front promenade.

When I was there, they offered 7 "tastes" plus dessert for 17 euro.

It ended up being a great way to eat a menu del dia.

The first plate came with the first 3 "tastes"; a cup of "crema de marisco", some "carpaccio de buey", and a warm salad of "endibias con pasas y pinones". All items were well executed, served on a large square plate, each of the tastes well presented and not crowding each other.

The second plate arrived with 3 more tastes; Begi haundi(big chipirones) plancha, a grilled salmonete, and some pescaditos fritos.

The last plate was some really good fiduea "rossejat" and nice aioli.

Dessert, there was a choice. I had a sweet artichoke tart, which actually worked really well texturally and flavour-wise too.

Vino Turbio and water to drink, a beautiful view of the sea, and it was a great experience for what I thought was a pretty good price for the quality of the food.

Anyhow, I hope that this suggestion helps,

you never know, it could happen...

Ditto the Kaiku recommendation for lunch (don't think they're open in evenings?).

Haven't had the tasting menu but have thoroughly enjoyed the chef's paella with smoked rice. Also the brownies for dessert. But avoid the balsamic sorbet - like a malt vinegar slushy. mmmm.

reservations are highly recommended especially at the weekends.

Tel: +34 (0)93 221 9082.

And of course ditto cinc sentits. Not cheap but the best value in town. I must be due another visit soon!

Also check out Alkimia (Carrer Industria)

We were there last week, and the food is excellent.

As I remember the Menu Degustacion is 45 euros.

Another reasonably priced restaurant we thoroughly enjoyed even if the dont have a tasting menu was Tragaluz of the Passeig the Gracia.

The Oxtail with hazelnuts was probably the best meal I had on the trip.

Jakob