• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LA Korean Food Scene

Soup

I know this isn't exactly the right place but I know the right people spend a lot of time in this sub forum.

If I could have one meal in LA (and I'll drive anywhere as long as the neigborhood is ok), where would you recommend that I go. Please note, I can get very good examples of BBQ and SoonDooBoo and other popular dishes here in virginia.

I've posted in CA of egullet and got some good recommendations of BBQ type places and will definitely chase some of those down. However, with such a large korean community there must be something special out there.

Any help would be appreciated.

If it's just one meal, my home.

But if you're in Korea town, you should try more than one place. :biggrin: Seriously though it's hard to name THE place. I will say that there is a greater range and depth of Korean places in LA. It's like little Seoul over here. It also has a vibrant nightlife that attracts non-Koreans as well.

As a side note you'll see parts of LA's K-town in alot of movies. At the night the town lights ip with electric signs. I think it might be the flourescent sign capital of LA.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Someone suggest a korean food crawl in LA korea town. I don't think I'll be able to do that but for those of you who live there, it sounds like a pretty interesting idea.

• 2 weeks later...

First Thanks for the Egulleter for the recommendations!!! It really helped.

I was in SF, first. Didn't have any korean food. I did however find two places of note. First was a ramen place called Santa Ramen (least that's what it said on the menu). I like it so much I went there twice which is a lot becuase I was in SF less than 24 hours. Had grilled octopus (really good), fried tofu covered in benito flakes (best I've ever had) and the ramen was really good. The place is in 805 South B st. in San Mateo. I got the pork flavor ramen and the second time the soy flavored ramen.

I would highly recommend the place. The first time we showed up right as it opened for dinner and got in right away. The second time I was there by myself and I waited about 20 minute for a seat and another 40 minute before my food arrived. It was worth the wait.

I also ate at a vietnamease resturant in Burlingame called Le Petite. Its on El cominalreal (sp?). $6.45 for pho in a bowl large enough to bathe in. Great deal and the pho was really good.

In LA, I did not make it to two places, Pinks and Phillippe(sp?) but I did make it to koreatown (my first time). As Randy Newman sings, I love LA, if for nothing else koreatown. It was dense, noisy and not that clean but the resturants put anything I've been to here on the east cost to shame. I had better food in LA koreatown than many places in Seoul.

I only made it to three places. The first place I wanted to go to was Sa Rit Gol but I couldn't find it. In the process, I accidentally drove into Chosun Garbi. The valet open the door, it smelled good, I was hungry so I went in. As soon as I went in, I thought I don't want to be here. Large resturant I thought catering to western pallet. Before I could walk out, they had me sit down. I order the Chosun Galbi. It rocked. The cut of meat was great, very well marbled and the seasoning was not overly sweet or salty. The panchan was good as well. Most were above average and a few were amazing. Their Cucumber kimchi was the best. I would definitely go back.

The second place I went to was Sa Rit Gol. I asked and I finely found it (hertz never lost is not that great). This is now my favorite korean resturant!!! The panchan (kimchies) were at their peak and everything was fresh. My favorite thing about korean is not the main dish but the panchan (which is why I love jungshik). I want to go back. The merichi and mul kimchi were my favorite. Mul kimchi had the tang. I getting hungry thinking about it. I would love to know their kimchi secret or who supplies them.

Third place was a little hole where I got take out kimbap for my drive to OC. Good kimbap. I also did a couple of tofu places in irvine. Good but nothing to write home about.

I love LA for the weather and Koreatown!!! Didn't care for the traffic or the road condition (do they ever pave in CA). I am looking forward to my next trip to LA. I am going to spend a lot more time in koreatown. Yum.

Soup

My favorite thing about korean is not the main dish but the panchan (which is why I love jungshik).

Isn't rice the main dish in Korean dining? :wink:

LA's Korea town is pretty impressive. Next time you're here you should try some of the places that specialize in specific dishes.

Glad you had fun.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com