• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Krispy Kreme Wedding Cake

LoveToEatATL

Yes...we did one with Tim Horton donuts...because my now husband kept joking that we were going to save money on the reception by getting the big box of donuts and handing them out...

It's kind of like building with blocks....just lay out a circle of donuts the size you want the bottom to be, fill in the circle and keep stacking them like bricks until you have a deep enough tier. Then start the next tier slightly smaller and do the same thing...

decorated the outside with strings of pearls and lace and crap...it was really cute. Unfortunately no pics because the crowd dismantled it and hoovered it up while we were having out pictures taken. My own wedding guests did not wait for the Bride and Groom to arrive before they tore into the buffet. When we got there, there was so little food left, and no pictures of all my hard work.

But that's okay...I personally touched every single piece of candy in the wedding favors with my bare fingers.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

My own wedding guests did not wait for the Bride and Groom to arrive before they tore into the buffet.  When we got there, there was so little food left, and no pictures of all my hard work. 

That's just bad manners! They deserved whatever sugar-loving germs they got.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

The Krispy Kreme donuts are much lighter and softer then Tim Horton's - so the construction may be more difficult. You may have a collapse on your hands depending on how high you go. And really - unless you go crazy high - why do it?

Badiane - I was at a Chinese wedding dinner and I was making a speech but no-one could hear me because everbody was whipping out plastic food containers and packing up left-overs. It was breath taking.

i have made small kk cakes and yes they definitely need a bit of support especially the lovely cream filled ones. i think some dowels skewered through out would do the trick. i'm sure you could find some taste testers if you decided to do a practice run.

nkaplan@delposto.com

Badiane - I was at a Chinese wedding dinner and I was making a speech but no-one could hear me because everbody was whipping out plastic food containers and packing up left-overs.  It was breath taking.

Yup...chinese women, mennonite women, everyone who lived through hard times, I think...they are all stuffing the leftovers into the nearest plastic container. I nearly lost a hand last week when I went for the last dinner roll. My mom stabbed me with a fork, snatched it, wrapped it in a napkin and shoved it in her purse. Then she turned to my husband and said 'you gonna eat that?' and commandeered his pork chop 'for the dog'.

Oh well...the food wasn't important, the wedding vows were, and they stuck, that's all I care about :smile:

Back to the donuts...you could do a thing like a cupcake tree and use donuts instead...might work.

Scott Stratten

Actually, a cupcake tree is more like this.

And just look at the description!

Cupcake tree

Easy to assemble crystal clear cupcake tree tower is great for popular cupcake weddings. Also great for Krispy Kreme donut wedding cakes...... :smile:

Both are very similar to what I envisioned!

Scott Stratten

I think we need to band together as pastry chefs with morals, values and standards to put a stop to this. I had to do 3 of them in my short/interminably long ten-month stint as pastry chef at a nameless hotel in Chapel Hill, NC. They're disgusting, tacky and an insult to our profession. What are these people going to tell their children, when they ask about their wedding 20 years from now? "Oh, we had the most beautiful pile of doughnuts for our wedding cake..." Jeez, makes me so glad I sold my house, cashed in my IRA and used my son's college fund to go to culinary school.

Now, cupcake stacks, I could get behind!

I think we need to band together as pastry chefs with morals, values and standards to put a stop to this.  I had to do 3 of them in my short/interminably long ten-month stint as pastry chef at a nameless hotel in Chapel Hill, NC.  They're disgusting, tacky and an insult to our profession.  What are these people going to tell their children, when they ask about their wedding 20 years from now?  "Oh, we had the most beautiful pile of doughnuts for our wedding cake..."  Jeez, makes me so glad I sold my house, cashed in my IRA and used my son's college fund to go to culinary school.

Now, cupcake stacks, I could get behind!

Maggie, Darling, I agree. But this is what they desperately want.

I, on the other hand, had the most gorgeous rum pound cake, topsy turvy, colored fondant covered confection ever! :biggrin:

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

whoa. the thing about a wedding is that it can be as elaborate, elegant, simple, or silly as you want it to be. if they want a krispy creme wedding cake, let them!

i would never, ever be a part of a crusade to stop people from eating what they want to eat, especially at their own wedding.

good luck witht he K.K. tower!

I think we need to band together as pastry chefs with morals, values and standards to put a stop to this. I had to do 3 of them in my short/interminably long ten-month stint as pastry chef at a nameless hotel in Chapel Hill, NC. They're disgusting, tacky and an insult to our profession. What are these people going to tell their children, when they ask about their wedding 20 years from now? "Oh, we had the most beautiful pile of doughnuts for our wedding cake..." Jeez, makes me so glad I sold my house, cashed in my IRA and used my son's college fund to go to culinary school.

Yep.....one of the low points in our profession for sure! We are proud of what we do and consider ourselves artists.....we want to create Rembrandts, Picassos, Dalis, Van Goghs in food...but occasionally we get asked to do a Charles Schultz. Not the most renowned art, but yet extremely popular and "classic". Sigh. You just gotta grit your teeth and remember that this too, shall pass.

Til you have to do it again, that is. :raz:

That's exactly how I felt when I was managing a large wholesale bakery, and we had to make sheet pans and sheetpans full of Rice Krispy Treats....ugh! I kept saying to myself, "I went to culinary school for THIS???" I always considered Rice Krispy Treats as the ultimate morale-killer. :sad:

Yep.....one of the low points in our profession for sure! We are proud of what we do and consider ourselves artists.....we want to create Rembrandts, Picassos, Dalis, Van Goghs in food...but occasionally we get asked to do a Charles Schultz. Not the most renowned art, but yet extremely popular and "classic". Sigh. You just gotta grit your teeth and remember that this too, shall pass.

Til you have to do it again, that is. :raz:

That's exactly how I felt when I was managing a large wholesale bakery, and we had to make sheet pans and sheetpans full of Rice Krispy Treats....ugh! I kept saying to myself, "I went to culinary school for THIS???" I always considered Rice Krispy Treats as the ultimate morale-killer. :sad:

I am right there with you chefpeon. I used to bring in nice stuff to my old job, pear frangipane tarts, etc. and my boss always wanted me to bring in those damn rice crispies treats. Sheesh. I guess we can look on the bright side, they are not exactly art, but the margin is a bit higher because their labor is low :laugh:

Everytime this topic comes up, I seem to be alone in my decent. I don't see much difference between items. An item doesn't have to be complex to taste auesome. I don't understand why a "in" ingredient is any better then an ingredient grandma used 70 plus years ago. Nor do I see one ingredient as more complex, sophisticated or interesting then any other.............really isn't it up to the specific palate of the taster? Vanilla tastes as good as passion fruit, as does lemon, as does pear, etc....

I might take pride in mastering a technique or mastering the handling of a difficult to handle ingredient............so in that regard I can see how one would rather be recognized for making a souffle verses a rice crispies treat or tempering chocolate verses melting sugar for a lolipop.

But mastering the rice crispy treat requires just as much thought as anything we make. Who said the ultimate rice crispy treat contains store bought marshmellows and kelloggs brand rice crispies, butter and nothing else?

I firmly believe in mastering the ingredients my client likes. In no way would I find myself less of a chef because I make apple pies everyday then a chef that makes pear frangipane tarts everyday.

I hope to influence you all to not be prejudiced. Look to our heros I thought Herme' made a statement when he used caramelized rice crispies in a dessert (and theres more examples out there). Uncommon isn't better then common.....Now look at P, A & D's recipes from this years top 10 American chefs...........what do you see...............caramelized rice crispies all over the place. HA!

I hope to influence you all to not be prejudiced. Look to our heros I thought Herme' made a statement when he used caramelized rice crispies in a dessert (and theres more examples out there). Uncommon isn't better then common.....Now look at P, A & D's recipes from this years top 10 American chefs...........what do you see...............caramelized rice crispies all over the place. HA!

I don't think of myself as prejudiced......of course, I always do what my client wants me to do....with a smile, mind you. And whatever it is they want me to make, I try to make the best version possible.

But I don't have to like it. And I think that's what some of us are lamenting.....the fact that with

everything fun, comes the stuff you really don't enjoy doing. I enjoy doing things that aren't "everyday" items......I get bored easily....I like to do different and exotic things. I like to utilize my skills to the fullest.....and I just gotta say, I don't feel all that fulfilled when I'm making Rice Krispy Treats.

And in the case of a Krispy Kreme Wedding cake, you aren't even making the doughnuts.....KK has taken care of that. All you gotta do is stack 'em and throw a few flourishes in there, whatever they may be. Sure, it's easy money. Sure, it's what the client wants......but it's not that satisfying...you know?

I'm in this business 'cause it's all I know and because I need to satisfy my creative side.

I sure ain't in it for the money. :wink:

Everytime this topic comes up, I seem to be alone in my decent. I don't see much difference between items. An item doesn't have to be complex to taste auesome. I don't understand why a "in" ingredient is any better then an ingredient grandma used 70 plus years ago. Nor do I see one ingredient as more complex, sophisticated or interesting then any other.............really isn't it up to the specific palate of the taster? Vanilla tastes as good as passion fruit, as does lemon, as does pear, etc....

I might take pride in mastering a technique or mastering the handling of a difficult to handle ingredient............so in that regard I can see how one would rather be recognized for making a souffle verses a rice crispies treat or tempering chocolate verses melting sugar for a lolipop.

But mastering the rice crispy treat requires just as much thought as anything we make. Who said the ultimate rice crispy treat contains store bought marshmellows and kelloggs brand rice crispies, butter and nothing else?

I firmly believe in mastering the ingredients my client likes. In no way would I find myself less of a chef because I make apple pies everyday then a chef that makes pear frangipane tarts everyday.

Wendy, I agree with you completely. If something is good, it's just good. It doesn't matter what it takes to make it-- I like rice krispies treats, think they are a Classic, and I agree that they are not all the same. I think my problem is that I really enjoy baking and so its disappointing when people like the easier stuff. I haven't been a pastry chef for over 10 years now and I guess I've become selfish too; I like to make what I find more challening or interesting.

That being said, I can really relate to what you are saying about perfecting what your clients want, which is why I love :wub: egullet and all of the "best of" sites. I am always up for improving what I make and seeing what others prefer. But as far as a Krispy Creme doughnut wedding cake, I don't considering it baking but apreciate that a bride and groom should have exactly what they want on their wedding day.

Edited by chantal (log)

That is my point, that you're not making anything; you're stacking donuts. If I was allowed, or asked, to make the donuts, different ballgame altogether! I make a mean donut! It's the going to Harris Teeter at 6 a.m., renting the shoddy three-tier stand, stacking KK's and draping them with florist ribbon the bride brings in that makes me feel like I could have done something more fulfilling with my life

But last week, I designed a dessert with Caramel Corn as a garnish! And I felt guilty for using microwave popcorn to make the caramel corn, but it was all we had. It was delicious and beautiful, and not at all snobby!