• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steen's Cane Syrup

Dave the Cook

I want to make Emeril's worcestershire sauce. Along with 6 cups of onions, four jalapenos, two cans of anchovies, two lemons, two quarts of vinegar, 3/4 pound of horseradish and a mess of other stuff, he calls for four cups of dark corn syrup and two cups of Steen's.

I've scoured the likely (and some unlikely) parts of the city for Steen's, and I'm giving up until I can get closer to the source. I know there isn't any such thing as a real substitute, of course, so don't bring on that bayou blather. What's my best shot in this circumstance? Molasses?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

well if you cant get there i think the next best thing would be to see if they have a website...most companies do these days...and really there is no substitute...not even molasses...not even close to being the same thing

edited to add this link for you:

http://www.steensyrup.com/Merchant2/mercha...Category_Code=S

Edited by ladyyoung98 (log)

a recipe is merely a suggestion

golden syrup = cane juice = jus de canne = cane syrup = sugar cane juice = light treacle Notes: This amber-colored liquid sweetener is popular among British, Caribbean, and Creole cooks. It's made by evaporating sugar cane juice until it's thick and syrupy. Lyle's Golden Syrup and Steen's Pure Cane Syrup are popular brands. Substitutes: Combine two parts light corn syrup plus one part molasses OR equal parts honey and corn syrup OR maple syrup (This is thinner, and not as sweet.) OR dark corn syrup (This is thnner and not as sweet as golden syrup. If you like, try reducing the corn syrup in a saucepan to thicken it.) OR light corn syrup (This is thnner and not as sweet or flavorful as golden syrup. If you like, try reducing the corn syrup in a saucepan to thicken it.)

woodburner

Dave - Im suprised that you had no luck in the Atlanta area. I've purchased Steen's at Publix, Albertson's, and (I believe) Winn-Dixie in Sarasota a number of times. I believe all 3 chains are represented in Atlanta. I have found, however, that individual store managers have a lot of latitude in what their particular stocks. Try calling around or, if you're not in a great hurry, contact Steen's on Tues. for a list of local retailers.

Can't help with a substitute. Woodburner's might work.

BTW - thanks for the memory jogger. I've made this sauce a few times but it's been awhile. I'm picking up a couple of missing ingredients to make up a batch today.

I see Lyle's Golden Syrup in quite a few places here these days. Check food stores that specialize in British Imports. Whole Foods and other health food places seem to carry it as well.

Looks like you can even order it from the Amazon Gourmet Food Beta.

Doing a bit more searching, it looks like Steen's Cane Syrup is available from a third party store (Cajun Grocer) on Amazon, as well.

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I’ve never tasted Steen’s, so I don’t have much cred in suggesting a substitute. I do, however, know Worcestershire sauce, and much as I love my Lyles’ I don’t think the taste is assertive enough. It’s a little pricey, too.

I’d suggest a mixture of light corn syrup, dark molasses and even a little honey. Your sweet sticky stuff would have a darker, funkier flavor.

The real question here is what you’re going to do with all that W. sauce. Emeril’s Barbecue Srimp? VD Stew? Many. Many Bloody Caesars?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Lyle's and Steen's are about as far apart as two things can be and still fit in the same category. The former is sweet, light and sunny; the latter is unctuous, dark and funky. It might be that reducing Lyle's before adding it would get in the neighborhood, but I'm dubious.

Dave - Im suprised that you had no luck in the Atlanta area. I've purchased Steen's at Publix, Albertson's, and (I believe) Winn-Dixie in Sarasota a number of times. I believe all 3 chains are represented in Atlanta. I have found, however, that individual store managers have a lot of latitude in what their particular stocks. Try calling around or, if you're not in a great hurry, contact Steen's on Tues. for a list of local retailers.

No Albertson's here, and Winn-Dixie evaporated a couple of years ago. Publix used to carry it (some of them; you're right abot managerial discretion), but the appearance of Lyle's that Erik notes coincides mysteriously with the disappearance of Steen's. I'll make one last tour of the area. I am too impatient to wait for mail-order. The recipe calls for a six-hour reduction, and then it has to be canned and aged for two weeks. I've got time today and tomorrow.

The real question here is what you’re going to do with all that W. sauce. Emeril’s Barbecue Srimp? VD Stew? Many. Many Bloody Caesars?

Yes. The recipe makes three pints, so perhaps some friends will get lucky, too.

What do people think about a reduction of a good dark rum, cachaca or pisco added to molasses?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

It's nice to be right. I'm licking the cream off my whiskers and purring.

I pulled out my bottle of Lea and Perrins and the first two ingredients are corn syrup and molasses, in that order. I trust you can balance the flavor.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

It's nice to be right. I'm licking the cream off my whiskers and purring.

I pulled out my bottle of Lea and Perrins and the first two ingredients are corn syrup and molasses, in that order.  I trust you can balance the flavor.

Thanks for doing the sensible thing!

I assume that Emeril isn't trying to duplicate L&P, though, and that Steen's is part of his twist.

But I struck out again. I did find a syrup made by Roddenberry that said it was 35% cane syrup (the rest was invert sugar syrup), so I took it. In the end, I did boil down a cup of cachaca, and used some dark molasses, too.

I checked the flavor at five hours, and it was mostly sweet, with a salty background. An hour later, it was all sugary heat -- mostly from the jalapenos, but with the horseradish and vinegar in supporting roles.

It was done at six and a half hours. It's very sharp; I'm hoping that two weeks' aging mellows it a bit.

And yes, Varmint, this is nascent LSD.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

• 6 years later...

Okay, cane syrup doesn't get enough respect, so I'm bumping up this thread. The op wanted to know how to make a substitute for Steen's Cane Syrup. I sort of want the reverse. I'm trying to rid my life of corn syrup by using cane syrup instead.

The most common uses I've had for corn syrup is in making BBQ sauce or ketchup and baking pies, particularly pecan. Does anyone routinely substitute either cane syrup or Lyles Golden syrup when a recipe calls for corn syrup? I have Lyle's on hand (primarily for making Laurie Colwin's gingerbread cake) and now I also have some Steen's cane syrup. Although they are both made from pure cane juice they taste very different; the Steen's syrup is thinner and has a mild to medium molasses taste. But how do they compare when it comes to sugar content? When it comes to sweetness, does 1 unit of cane syrup = 1 Lyles = 1 Steen's?

Steen's is a staple at my house. I use it in place of maple syrup on the breakfast table, in place of honey in yeast breads, and as a sweetener in gingersnap style cookies and in the traditional gateau de sirop (recipe here). It isn't equivalent to corn syrup, though: so beware a direct substitution in candymaking or other recipes where the chemical properties of corn syrup are paramount (like cookies intended to remain soft & chewy after baking).

It's also a nice sweet component added to a vinagrette, along with some whole-grain mustard.

I buy Old Fashion Ribbon Cane syrup locally. (Fashion is spelled the way it is on the label.)

I think it is comparable to Steen's and Fain's, both of which I have tried in the past as well as Lyle's Black Treacle (also a cane syrup).

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Just noticed a typo in my equivalency formula. I meant: does one unit of CORN syrup = 1 Lyles = 1 Steen's?

Hungry C, how would one determine if the chemical properties of corn syrup were significant in a given recipe? I can say for sure that in something like bbq sauce or home-made ketchup it makes no difference, as I've subbed Lyles or maple syrup for corn syrup with out any problems.

Since you pulled up this old thread, I wonder how Dave's batch came out after aging. I have been eyeing this recipe for a while.

Thanks for asking! It came out pretty well, but a bit on the sweet side. I made it again with some modifications, which are posted here.

And these days, it's easy to find Steen's in Atlanta.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

There is no substutute for Steen's and since thi s Thread was started distribution has increased to where I don't have to mailorder in Wisconsin anymore.

On another note, I have made Emeril's r sworcestershire sauce and it is not that good and not worth the time and effort shen there is a great product on the market!-Dick

Edited by budrichard (log)

Steen's is available from Asian Food Company. Here

Ground shipping is free. They are in Texas so it should get to you in 3 days, it takes 4 days to get to me in California.

and you might want to read this.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Just noticed a typo in my equivalency formula. I meant: does one unit of CORN syrup = 1 Lyles = 1 Steen's?

Hungry C, how would one determine if the chemical properties of corn syrup were significant in a given recipe? I can say for sure that in something like bbq sauce or home-made ketchup it makes no difference, as I've subbed Lyles or maple syrup for corn syrup with out any problems.

Consider the end result: is it candy? The type of sugar used in most candies matters a great deal. Substitute at your own risk Is it a yeast-raised baked good? Then you can probably swap sweeteners without much trouble--simply increase or decrease the liquid ingredients ever so slightly to accommodate the switch between solid or liquid sweeteners. For cookies & cakes, the change from granulated sugar to a syrup will affect texture and baking time.

RE: Steen's popcorn balls...aw, yeah. Absolutely the taste of Halloween to me. Recipe here atSteen's site, and photo below.

popcorn balls.jpg