• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Butchers in Vancouver (Merged)

jayhay

Hi

Newbie here at egullet......sorry to change the subject....

3 P Poultry in North Vancouver (Main and Mountain where the Burger King is).

Great quality non-medicated meats (sans valium or anti-depressants :blink: ) that are far tastier and worth the extra price over supermarket meat and poultry offerings.

The staff are very helpful with friendly advice.

Best of all, I can be assured of flavourful and high quality beef and poultry...along with buffalo burgers and the like (however, my craving for Koh Samui buffalo burgers at three AM is over.....thank god). Must have been the water. :wacko:

Where is it? I live by the Seymour River and I have never seen this place...do they sell retail?

I am already drooling...I am so excited that I can get good stuff so close to home.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

3P Natural and Exotic Meats

103-223 Mountain Highway

North Vancouver, BC, British Columbia

604-986-5606

You would probably never go into this strip type mall with the flagship being Burger King :shock:. You probably drive by it every day if you live by the Seymour River, but there is a Chiropractor, 3P Poultry and Sushi Place ect.

Paul, Wendy and crew are very helpful and if you fax in your order they will have it ready for you upon arrival.

Coming from Seymour, take a right onto Mountain Hwy, then a sharp left into the mall.

They do retail, and wholesale to restaurants. Also organic products and great non-chemical sausages.

Chicken breasts are good quality and tasty with very reasonable prices versus say Capers Organic type cyro-packed meats (although those are good quality too).

Looking forward to your review.

Ciao

I might not have it quite right... but I think they wanted to shift the focus to wholesale. I'm in wine not food/restaurant business so I'm not sure if they have continued in that direction

If it's slower than me.

Dumber than me.

And tastes good.

Pass the salt.

Anthony Bourdain

I've decided to make OSSO BUCO (for the first time), for a dinner party on Saturday night. Any special places to go for veal shanks, & should they be ordered ahead?

I've printed out Mario Batali's recipe from FoodTV, & Tony Bourdain's recipe from Epicurious...can't decide.

Any favourite recipes out there?

Cioffi's almost always has beautiful, well priced veal shanks.

Season and brown the shanks, remove from pan add diced carrots, fennel, and onion, brown, then add slivered garlic. deglaze with red wine, reduce by 1/2, add enough meat stock and tomato puree to cover. season with salt and pepper. Add whole stalks of favorite herbs, sage, rosemary, thyme, etc.

Cook for two to three hours. Meat should just about fall from bone. Remove shanks, reduce sauce. Strain if you want it elegant or leave vegetables in for rustic look. Finish with a gremolata of chopped lemon zest, parsely and raw garlic. Taste sauce and re-season before serving on a bed of creamy polenta.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Just a note that Columbus Meats on Renfrew have great veal shanks and is generally a good butcher

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

You could always strain out the solids and then finish with blanched vegetables or mushrooms.

I can't beleive I'm going to allow myself to be drawn into an actual conversation about food...

Disposing of the cooked vegetables may help make the dish more elegant and refined, but for the home cook I think doing this and replacing them with less cooked versions of themselves is well sorry, no offense, kinda pretentious. And certainly wasteful. In my opinion, rustic is superior to refined in a home kitchen. Different crieteria are used judging a dishes merits at home vs. a restaurant.

One of the things that's cool about dining at someones home opposed to a resaturant is that things are less formal, to try to recreate a Lumiere version of osso bucco at home seems strange.

Damnit, re-reading above I see I'm having a problem articulating my objection. Maybe something to do with amatuer food preperation should be more about good times with loved one rather than chefly tricks of the trade?

Screw it, I'm not getting my objection down. Forget it, lets leave my last word at the vegetables should be left in because they taste damn good, almost completely melted into a rich beef tomoto sauce.

Now someone pass the gremolata please.

Keith - it is OK. You are getting your point in. I'd be happy to eat it either way as long as I did not have to cook, and I had a glass of wine in hand !

Why anyone would want to replace boiled carrots, onions and celery in a sauce with some fresh mushroom or other fresh vegetables is beyond me. And wasteful ! At least $2.00 worth of carrots, onion and celery !

Forgive me , I am just teasing you as I have a few minutes on my hand.

Seriously though, I think you would want to remove the fat and make more of a demi glace than a gravy to enjoy this .

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Keith

"Disposing of the cooked vegetables may help make the dish more elegant and refined, but for the home cook I think doing this and replacing them with less cooked versions of themselves is well sorry, no offense, kinda pretentious

Maybe something to do with amatuer food preperation should be more about good times with loved one rather than chefly tricks of the trade?"

Well I'm going to disagree with you. I've done it both ways and in my opinion vegetables cooked for that length of time have basically given up their flavor and don't have much left to give so I don't think it has anything to do with being pretentious. As far as calling it amateur food prep being more about good times rather than "chefly tricks" that's just bull! I am an amateur but I also know what tastes good.

As I said, I've not made Osso Buco before, but neither the Batali recipe nor the Bourdain recipe call for straining the vegetables out.

Could be they were just making the recipe more user friendly for the masses....

Oh....and I AlWAYS make sure my dinner guests "have a glass of wine in hand "....makes everything taste SO much better! :raz:

Edited by jayhay (log)

Disposing of the cooked vegetables may help make the dish more elegant and refined, but for the home cook I think doing this and replacing them with less cooked versions of themselves is well sorry, no offense, kinda pretentious. And certainly wasteful. In my opinion, rustic is superior to refined in a home kitchen. Different crieteria are used judging a dishes merits at home vs. a restaurant. 

Gotta say I am totally with Mr. Talent on this, I think if you went into some italian countryside, there would not be someone with a sieve, taking out all the goodies that do melt in you mouth and do get sopped up with some crusty bread. At a restaurant it always tastes different than at home. Both good! Ok now i will be off to the butchers buy some veal shank.. ok tmorrow morning. though i will be thinking about it all night! why do i look at egullet at night..

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf