• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese BBQ

Every now and then I just can't help craving BBQ Pork. Found a new place with a very reasonable priced answer to the cravings: New Sam Po Meat & BBQ at 1382 Kingsway near the corner of Knight. The pork has the pleasant sweet aroma expected, with an added kick of anise above and beyond the normal 5 spice. The price is hard to beat too. $4.20 a pound!

What other places do you recommend for that Chinese BBQ craving?

Cheers!

One of my only regrets about living on the North Shore is that there isn't a Chinese BBQ place over here, or if there is I haven't found it yet. So when I'm in town I often load up, especially on fresh Chinese sausage, and haul it back over the bridge.

In the first floor of the Aberdeen Centre in Richmond there's a good little BBQ place right beside the stand that makes that wonderful jerky. There's also a place on Frasier close by the Flamingo Restaurant, a block of two south of Kingsway. I've also grabbed BBQ at a couple of places in Chinatown, including one near the Floata building (sorry I don't remember the name). In a pinch I've also bought BBQ from T&T, though it's not the best.

You know, I once read that people from Hong Kong will load up on locally made Chinese sausage and bring it home because the stuff made here is so good. Don't know if that's true, but I always keep a few packages in my freezer for the days I want to stir-fry some rice or noodles and don't have the time to get into town for the fresh stuff.

Will try that place near Knight.

Paul B

The new Grand Marpole Market on Granville @ 69th-ish has its own butcher and BBQ. Both are small, and I really couldn't tell you if one supplied the other. However, they are relatively cheap and not bad given the neighborhood (ie not Richmond, Chinatown or even Fraser St). I tend to get about 1/4 lb of BBQ sausage for about a buck and eat it before dinner (a "working" appetizer). It is relatively lean here, which I actually prefer because I can eat a whole bunch and not feel gross. Haven't tried the pork or duck yet tho.

Inspired by this thread, I also just tried the place on the east side of Fraser b/w 47 & 48th. More sausage, $3.80/lb, but this stuff was pretty greasy. If I got it again, I'd only use it for stir-frying or some other method of reducing the fat. On the bright side, their window is chock fulla BBQ'ed stuff, so there is still potential here. They also have a take-out set up, like mall food (you know, 2 items plus rice or noodles, etc). Of course I don't have to tell you to approach with caution...

T and T Supermarket in Downtown / Chinatown has very inexpensive and tasty BBQ Pork avaiable fresh at their Deli - Meat Counter in the back.

And T and T has a wonderful policy of discounting all the unsold deli/sushi items by 50% when closing time approaches. I've gone by around 8:30 and reaped a massive bounty for mere pocket change.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

Chinese BBQ pork is not my favourite, but I love the Chinese roast pork at BBQ 2000, under the Superstore on No. 3 Road in Richmond. That places does the crispiest skin ever. I usually get a pound and a half and just eat it on the drive home. There's also a decent BBQ place in the little complex beside the Save-on-Foods in Richmond, but the skin on the roast pork is thinner (but still very crispy), and the pork itself is leaner.

eat on the way home? you mean you finish a pound and a half in the time it takes you to get home?

She'd eat it twice as fast if she didn't have to keep one hand on the steering wheel. :laugh:

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Ling's food consumption is the stuff of legend. She is an eating machine. Do not doubt her. Never, and I repeat, never offer to pay for dinner before she orders. You will be sorry.

That's funny...on another board, someone asked me today if I was the "famous small girl on Egullet with a big appetite".

:unsure:

:raz: