• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beurre Fondue -- Butter Poaching??

Varmint

I poached some haddock, chanterelles and peas in a beurre fondue on Saturday, and I'm wondering why the hell have I failed to cook with this method more often??? Yes, it's a ton of butter, but I may start cooking all my vegetables in a beurre fondue. It's so easy to do, the flavors are amazing, and it's actually a pretty light way of preparing food. Plus, if you serve the beurre fondue with the dish, you end up with lots of good soppin's for your bread! Granted, it's not the healthiest way to approach things, but this simple technique is remarkably overlooked.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I poached some haddock, chanterelles and peas in a beurre fondue on Saturday, and I'm wondering why the hell have I failed to cook with this method more often???  Yes, it's a ton of butter, but I may start cooking all my vegetables in a beurre fondue.  It's so easy to do, the flavors are amazing, and it's actually a pretty light way of preparing food.  Plus, if you serve the beurre fondue with the dish, you end up with lots of good soppin's for your bread!  Granted, it's not the healthiest way to approach things, but this simple technique is remarkably overlooked.

Dean, can you elaborate a bit? I am not familiar with the technique. Thanks.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Beurre fondue is just butter that has been emulsified into boiling water. I learned about it in one of Tom Colicchio's books. The technique is simple: Get about half to 3/4 of an inch of water boiling in a small saucepan. Whisk in cold, unsalted butter about a tablespoon at a time. Continue adding the butter until you've added anywhere from 12 to 16 tablespoons. If droplets begin to form, add a bit more water, as that's a sign you've evaporated too much of this off.

Now, take some asparagus, peas, fish, mushrooms, whatever and poach it in this ultra-rich sauce (transfer it to a wider skillet). You'll end up with the most delicious, decadent (but seemingly light) dish you can imagine.

I think many chefs just keep a pot of this on their stove top, using it to finish dishes. It's old school, I guess, but I'm just learning about its wonders.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Thank you for the explanation. Must give this a try.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog