• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liquor Stores

Anyone have any insight into the business model behind all these crap private liquor stores popping up on every corner. The cold beer stores attached to pubs I got, cold beer, extended hours. Then they started selling hard stuff. Whatever, I've never been short a fifth of cheap rum on a Sunday afternoon, but who am I to judge. But now, everytime I turn around there's one sprouting up like the twenty-first century equivilent of Starbucks in the nineties. And they all have alot of wine, but alot of bad wine at high prices. I'm so releived to know I can get Little Penguin Shiraz for twenty bucks should the desire overcome me. Why? Why so much wine? Why so much high end spirits? My Laugavualin habit is bad enough without adding another twenty bucks convience surcharge. Why?

It's like they've all seen Liberty and Marquis and decided "hey, we can do that too." Uhh, no you can't.

Are they all going to go bankrupt? I can't imagine the market can support them all.

You should check out the new "wine store" at the Dufferin. It's the most ghetto private wine store I've ever seen, however it happens to be within staggering distance of my back door so I end up there more often than I'd like to admit.

Why in god's name did they decide to knock down the busiest and best karaoke joint in town to erect this monstrosity is beyond me, especially when you could already get a few decent bottles of wine from the cold beer and wine room off the main pub. The place is perpetually under-stocked and looks like something that would be attached to a prison. It makes me cringe just thinking about it. Their sign is even more laughable - it promises in-store events and tastings. Yeah, riiiiiiight.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

My guess is that a significant number of patrons of these places are not aware they are paying a premium when compared to liquor store prices. I can see, when the places with a decent selection and best prices are closed, that the convenience is worth a premium. But why would anyone go there during "normal" working hours? Is it for the outstanding service and depth of product knowledge? I doubt it. The two girls working at the newest private store near me had the most perfect blank looks on their faces when I asked if they had any New Zealand whites.

About a year ago, some guy was looking to buy up several properties across the street from us, get it all rezoned, and then open up a "neighbourhood pub", complete with cold beer/wine store. At the apparent direction of the city, he tried to soften up those in the "neighbourhood" with tranquil images of lovely brunches with grandma at the neighbourhood "restaurant". Sorry pal, I've seen the clientele that shows up at those places on a Tuesday at midnight in their pickup, stereo blasting, picking up a twelve and leaving only an acid trail of rubber smoke. NIMBY! (geez I sound old...)

Why the high-end spirits? No problem - long shelf life and high $/sq.in. Eventually someone will buy it. As for the business model, it's gotta be like 7-11. Convenience. Mark it up. And don't pay any of those union wages. Must be like the convenience stores in Quebec. Have you ever seen the selection in a depanneur in Hull? Most fridge space is taken up by malt liquor in 40 oz bottles.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

So called semi- privatisation of the drinks industry really does not work. These shops get low discounts from the BCLDB so they mark their products up to achieve a 30-35% profit margin. I would agree most are a joke. Maybe the government wants us to see this model so we reject full out privatisation.

Outside of Liberty or Marquis ( both have outstanding selections and knowledgeable staff) I never shop at any other private stores. I want selection, staff knowledge, and ambiance when shopping for drinks.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

. But now, everytime I turn around there's one sprouting up like the twenty-first century equivilent of Starbucks in the nineties

I couldn't agree more. From where I live in jolly olde Victoria I have eight liquor/wine/spirit shops to choose from, all within walking distance, most all within six block radius. I'm certain there will be a few others quite soon.

I would agree most are a joke.

I've been into a few of the new ones and I'd definitely have to agree with the statement above.

Yesterday I popped into Steamworks West Wine Store at Park Royal across from Whole Foods and was fairly impressed by their selection of BC wines.

Most of which can only be obtained at the winery and aren't sold to the LDB.

Mark up was about 20-30% above what you would pay at the winery of course, but a pretty good selection overall.

Some thought has gone into this one.

Compared to the outlets that have sprouted up along Marine Drive in North Van, this one's stellar.

cm

Private liquor stores, second to grow ops...not to mention all the "dollar" stores, bakeries, 99 cent pizza joints, second hand book stores, and coffee houses. I didn't think these private liquor stores would have customers during business hours of the LDB stores unless they were picking up a cold 6-pack. You mean someone will buy vodka there because they can't be bothered to walk a few blocks or drive 5 mins.???? I don't get it.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

I walked into a liquor store on Cambie and 18th and thought the prices were quite high. Talking with the clerk, I found out it was a private store. From the outside to the inside it is set up like a BC govt liquor store. The sign on the door said they are are opened again, as they were closed two months ago. This closing was due to privitization.

This is totally misleading the public. I go to the BC govt store because the prices are lower than the private stores. Unsuspecting customers will be paying more at what they thought is a govt liquor store.

I know the manager at 7th and Cambie ( Government Store ) and he has had people come in a berate him about the prices up the road. I understand that the uniforms are still somewhat similar. If that is so, it is totally to trick the public into paying more. BTW, how was the selection ? Anything different or just the same old with a heftier price ?

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

From a professional standpoint and from a buyers perspective (from working in 3 provinces):

The B.C. Liberals back tracked on full privatization. LRS stores get an 18% discount and restaurants get 8%. In Aberta its a flat 40% discount or a real wholesale price.

For all the pro-union, pro-bcldb'ers... your arguments have no validity when it comes to a retail business. The restaurant sector is getting screwed as well as the consumers and the LRS. It is not a level playing field and I think private merchants, over time, can do much better at selecting what their clients want.

In 2003 I was placed in Alberta with a prominant hotel chain. In less than 3 months I was able to completely put together a 500 selection (WS Best of Award)new wine program with extensive selections (very few of which I can get here in B.C. and some of which I am having special ordered through the B.C. agents and at a much higher price). The work I did in that period of time would have taken years in B.C.

I am sorry for my tone but I have seen this argument through so many times that it really bothers me. It bothers me even more that my industry is struggling for credibililty with wine pricing but we are not getting a fair deal.

Just my 2 cents, except on more point... WHEN THE HELL is B.C. going to grow up and allow corkage!!!!

But I think the point here is that these stores are failing to go above and beyond what the LDB's offer, and as such are not offering any value to the consumer. I went into one lately that was two blocks from the govt store. I didn't see anything I couldn't get from the LDB down the street, which is open Monday to Saturday until nine.

From what I could see, I was paying a premium for the decor.

I prefer to go to Marquis and Liberty, where they actually have product I can't get at the LDB, and knowledgeable staff.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I know the manager at 7th and Cambie ( Government Store ) and he has had people come in a berate him about the prices up the road. I understand that the uniforms are still somewhat similar. If that is so, it is totally to trick the public into paying more. BTW, how was the selection ?  Anything different or just the same old with a heftier price ?

Selection is the same and the prices are higher. :hmmm:

I went to Darby's to purchase Burrowing Owl and asked the clerk a few questions. He was too stupid to answer most of them but I'm guessing that's due to lack of experience as he looked like he just came out of high school.

Is this what I am to expect from private stores? These were very basic questions that every govt clerks can answer. I know Marquis and Liberty have knowledgeable staff. If privatization takes over, I hope they have good beer and wine stock and pay well for knowledgeable staff.

He was too stupid to answer most of them but I'm guessing that's due to lack of experience as he looked like he just came out of high school. 

Harsh!! I hadn't realized I was "stupid" before I'd gained some decent wine knowledge. :wink: