• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shelby

Shelby

22 hours ago, Shelby said:

This is a very timely bump for this topic.  Ronnie ground up a country ham steak or two the other day.  I'm supposed to make him some ham salad out of it....and I will, but I want to use some of it to make a meatloaf.  I've laid out some venison burger.  I know that ham is salty and a bit dry so I'll make adjustments to the panade (why doesn't my spell check recognize "panade"--am I spelling it wrong?)

Quoting myself to say that this turned out really good--I didn't say this earlier, but I was quite skeptical that this was going to work.  I was worried about the saltiness and the the dryness but  it turned out to be one of the best meatloaves I've ever made.  I made very sure not to add any additional salt besides my usual couple glugs of Worcestershire sauce.  It might be a tad too salty for some, but we are salt people.  

I also made sure to do what @rotuts suggested and I pulled it at 140F and let it rest.  

The mix was bread torn up and soaked in milk, an egg, about a pound of venison burger, a little less than 3/4 lb of ground ham, black pepper,  a couple glugs of Worcestershire sauce and a few squirts of Ketchup.  The sauce for the top was mustard, ketchup and brown sugar.  Baked for about 30 mins at 350 F.

Shelby

Shelby

21 hours ago, Shelby said:

This is a very timely bump for this topic.  Ronnie ground up a country ham steak or two the other day.  I'm supposed to make him some ham salad out of it....and I will, but I want to use some of it to make a meatloaf.  I've laid out some venison burger.  I know that ham is salty and a bit dry so I'll make adjustments to the panade (why doesn't my spell check recognize "panade"--am I spelling it wrong?)

Quoting myself to say that this turned out really good--I didn't say this earlier, but I was quite skeptical that this was going to work.  I was worried about the saltiness and the the dryness but  it turned out to be one of the best meatloaves I've ever made.  I made very sure not to add any additional salt besides my usual couple glugs of Worcestershire sauce.  It might be a tad too salty for some, but we are salt people.  

I also made sure to do what @rotuts suggested and I pulled it at 140F and let it rest.  

The mix was bread torn up and soaked in milk, an egg, about a pound of venison burger, a little less than 3/4 lb of ground ham, black pepper,  a couple glugs of Worcestershire sauce and a few squirts of Ketchup.  The sauce for the top was mustard, ketchup and brown sugar.  Baked for about 30 mins at 350 F.