• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vermouths off the beaten path

mbanu

In the process of trying to find out more about the state of vermouth outside the US, I was overwhelmed to find brand after brand of vermouth that I had simply never heard of; instead of the traditional Martini & Rossi/Noilly Pratt/Cinzano trinity, people were mentioning names like Chambéry, Gancia, Garrone and Gotano.

Biggest problem is that I haven't the slightest clue which are generic knockoffs too cheap to bother importing, and which are genuine quality products that just aren't seen very much on US shores.

Anyone able to help a poor fellow out? :(

Edited by mbanu (log)

If you are in the New York area you might want to drop by Lupa

Lupa

170 Thompson St

New York, NY 10012

Phone: (212) 982-5089

Daily 12pm-2:30pm, 5pm-11:30pm

and check out their stock. As I recall from my last trip there a couple years back they had a pretty impressive collection of Italian "bitters", which included several different vermouth style products.