• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starting a restaurant in Philly

Lazrowp

hi paul, have you given much thought to idea of trying to make your emerging restaurant environmentally and ecologically friendly. i know that you are aiming for a low price point / high volume business model, but i think you might still be able, if you are interested in such things, to incorporate some earth friendly products in your design. i am by no means, an expert, but i guess i was thinking about sustainable fishing and/or local/organic vegetables and such.  In addition, i was recently turned on to the concept of using "fair trade" products (has anyone else seen that movie "life and debt"?) and know that one of your neighbors (on walnut st) is a store that specializes in such products.

In any case, i know your budget, and time, must be tight right now, and i'm sure you have plenty of other things to worry about right now, but in this initial period when so many long term directions are being established, it might be worth your time (and money, cc philly tends to be a pretty environmentally supportive population) to check out some of this stuff (there is a big conference on some related things which starts today called "bio democracy 2005").  anyway, thanks again for sharing this process with us (it must be hard not to get overwhelmed by all the input and criticism and such). best of luck...i really look forward to being a customer... :biggrin:

Yannii, environmental business is good business and though there have been many successful enterprises over the last century, this success has often been void of environmental impact considerations. Of course we longer live in that world and we no longer just qualify success in financial terms. Recently we have all become much more aware of the consequences our energy consumptive lifestyles and truly, to be green, HAS to be good business. In other words it is no longer a business "style" - to be environmental but it is the calling of our times.

Sushi Nation in fact, is extremely concerned about its impact on the environment - locally, and globally, and I the owner am also concerned beyond the scope of my own business, about many of the issues facing the planet nowadays.

Let me speak to the issues of my restaurant and the environmental implications of how I want to run this business. First of all I can say that it is my intention to move towards a green model of doing business and it is a direction I intend to move towards more and more, as I mature into the process of running the operation. Actually though, environment, is in fact, not large enough to speak to what I'm interested in achieving.

I think the business term "stakeholder model" (contrast shareholder) is where I would like to take my company and although not a brand new idea, it is an idea whose time has come: The stakeholder model of business has a broader criteria for "success" than just the bottom line.

The stakeholders are: The owner of the business, the business's employees - at all levels; the community and neighborhood in which the business functions, the financial viability of the business, the environment in terms of waste produced, materials used, recycling etc; the sustainability of the ocean ecology which supplies the fish, the fish themselves, health and disease issues in the restaurant and in the oceans and in the fish.

In short the stake-holder model of business takes into account a wide and more long-term set of criteria which create the sort of businesses which are not simply hit-and-run financial ventures, but are more holistic, long-term and win-win. I think this "stakeholder" model is an appropriate response to the ecological, economic and social upheaval we find ourselves in during this time of global markets, toxicity and illness and exponentially increasing population. I want my business to offer excellent quality food and speak to the health issues and emerging data which point us towards certain eating habits.

More specifically, we are looking into using recycled materials at every level from take out containers to napkins INSIDE the restaurant, we are looking to see how we might be able to network with other businesses and turn our waste - a problem - into a potential product - a solution - for someone else. We may also look into finding a way to supply appropriate left over food stuffs to the homeless or to the cities needy populations. We are looking to use cleaners who use non-toxic products in their cleaning procedures for staff uniforms, we are going to actively participate in the ongoing national debate and awareness surrounding issues of toxic substances in fish products and we will do all we can to find suppliers who participate in more sustainable fishing practices. There are many, many issues to explore further both before opening, and after we get going and as the business matures. As my knowledge of the issues and the solutions increases, I hope to be at the vanguard of the movement towards long-term environmental stewardship, as well perhaps, as on the vanguard of what is an emerging new business model. In fact there are some really exciting ideas which I might explore in the future - like using solar power for at least some of the businesses energy needs, or buying green power from the local utility company. I consult with a good buddy of mine in California who has been active in environmental issues and who is well-read on the subject and has recommended a couple of books to me by some of the business worlds most pioneering entrepreneurs: Paul Hawken, founder of the natural foods store Erewhon, and now owner of the garden tool manufacturer "Smith and Hawken" - and Anita Roddick founder of the Body Shop.

Below are some links we look at:

http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/haccp-2a.html

http://seafood.ucdavis.edu/

http://www.handwashingforlife.com/us/english/index.htm

http://www.msc.org/

http://www.nfi.org/

http://www.phila.gov/health/units/ehs/html/ofp_programs.html

:wink:

Paul

(I loved the movie "Life & Debt")

猿も木から落ちる - Saru mo ki kara ochiru

(Even monkeys can fall from a tree)

I'm impressed with the thoroughness of your environmental thinking.

So, you're sticking with Sushi Nation?

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Paul, god bless you and Sushi Nation, you rock! and you have really made my day. I should have known that someone intelligent and generous enough to share their business dealings with us on egullet, would be such a thoughtful environmentalist (or stakeholder-ist). thank you for your detailed response (and cool links).

Paul, i'm not sure if it is relevant, but a few years ago, monk's café on 16th and spruce, starting recycling their used peanut (fryer) oil. an eccentric farmer apparently uses it to heat greenhouses or something, here is a Link.

just out of curiosity, is anyone out there familiar with Roy's (the Hawaiian fusion place)? are they considered to be utilizing the "stakeholder" business model that paul mentioned. i know they are really into respecting their supplier network and such. i believe they call it the "spirit of aloha" or something equally tranquil. are there any other local business using the stakeholder model? (probably whole foods, right?)

as far as clean/green power is concerned, i recently signed up for pecowind (.com) which isn't actually green power (you still receive mixed source power), but definitely does support wind power, and hopefully sets up a long term transition...

PS, Paul, were you impressed with your architects initial design concepts? will you be able to see the sushi chef while he makes the food? i think it would be cool, if a bar was busy enough, to have conveyor belt cocktails (sort of a throw back to the original asahis that the whole thing is inspired by). with all of today's colorful and visually appealing shots and martinis, it might just work, who knows? maybe after dinner, you could have a dj and bartender and do c.b. cocktails. i'm sure your landlord would not enjoy that... :raz:

Edited by Yannii (log)

will you be able to see the sushi chef while he makes the food? i think it would be cool, if a bar was busy enough, to have conveyor belt cocktails (sort of a throw back to the original asahis that the whole thing is inspired by).

I think being able to see the chef is key. I've been to Isobune in SF many times, especially when I was younger and so impressed with those water boats, and when Pod opened it immediately struck me as lower quality because I could not see the chef working. While this may not in fact be accurate--quality may not be highly associated with visibility of a sushi chef--I suspect others would make the association in their minds. Thus here in Madison, when a new takeout sushi place recently opened, there is a mini camera trained on the hands of the chef, so that those sitting in the waiting area can watch him work (5 ft away, in front of them, but not with hands visible minus the camera).

Love the cocktails idea, btw! Using those riedel glasses without legs might work!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

will you be able to see the sushi chef while he makes the food? i think it would be cool, if a bar was busy enough, to have conveyor belt cocktails (sort of a throw back to the original asahis that the whole thing is inspired by).

I think being able to see the chef is key. I've been to Isobune in SF many times, especially when I was younger and so impressed with those water boats, and when Pod opened it immediately struck me as lower quality because I could not see the chef working. While this may not in fact be accurate--quality may not be highly associated with visibility of a sushi chef--I suspect others would make the association in their minds. Thus here in Madison, when a new takeout sushi place recently opened, there is a mini camera trained on the hands of the chef, so that those sitting in the waiting area can watch him work (5 ft away, in front of them, but not with hands visible minus the camera).

Love the cocktails idea, btw! Using those riedel glasses without legs might work!

Thats the name! Isobune. I went there a few times when I lived in SF. Cute place - not the best sushi but it had that edge of the boats floating by with food on them. The memories.....

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Schedule:

Delay #1: Two weeks ago I had a fair degree of confidence that I could open during September. Now that has changed and it’s more like:

Chance of Opening

September: 15%

October: 60%

November: 25%

Optimistically I still am hoping for a September opening.

At this point the main factor will be the construction crew and their schedule. I am at their mercy. Fortunately I am using a union crew as my location is in Center City, which is tough for the unions to overlook. All I have heard is how people in the unions will key your car, break your windows, and basically make your life tough as a way to protest if you do not use a union crew. I am not thrilled with paying more for the union work, but with the higher costs comes a level of comfort that the work will be done correct.

:shock:

Paul

Edited by Lazrowp (log)

I hope you can also get some comfort from knowing that you're doing the right thing. I also hope you will be able to open in September as you desire.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 2 weeks later...

OK!!! My architect submitted our building plans to the Philly Building Inspectors and we should hear back something next week (we accelerated the plans). Its nice to have some solid trackable movement!

We also should be able to have a plan review with the Health Department next week!

:blink:

Paul

Pics of progress along the way would be appreciated !!

Uuuuhhh......I still haven't figured out how to put up an image in these post boxes. I did get so far as to post two (2) pictures in the public gallery though.

Pic#1: This is the "Before" shot of the empty space

Pic#2: Looking East from 11th & Walnut Street in Philly

:smile:

Paul

Well, that explains why Bridals by Danielle's has moved to 13th Street opposite Woody's.

It doesn't look like they got all their garb out in your picture, which was taken...when?

Is the space clean and ready for remodeling now?

Edited to add: The Walnut Street shot is looking east from 12th. That's the Beasley Law Firm building at the left edge. When I arrived in this neighborhood, the building housed a popular after-hours club.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Regarding Post #86

--------------------------------------------------

The pictures on the top

Looking East from 11th & Walnut Street in Philly

My space is in the middle of the block. This picture is looking North-East.

You can see the Irish Pub, then a woman's clothing store, then a Chinese restaurant w/a neon sign, then my space with the red awning, and further on down is Pompeii with the black awning, and in the background you can see Thomas Jefferson Hospital and University.

The bottom picture

This is the "BEFORE" shot of the empty space

The space was occupied by Danielle's Bridal Salon for many years. They are moving about 2 blocks away to a location with a lesser rent. We plan to put in a new glass facade. This is how the space looks from the outside as of June, 2005.

The space is pretty much cleaned and ready for construction.

(I will try to learn how to post pictures soon)

Paul

Edited by Lazrowp (log)

Below is an early rendering of the outside of the space. I kind of like the awning set-up.

gallery_27962_1471_427662.jpg

Weird trivia question:

How does one arrive at the corporate name for the liquor license application?

I see yours is "Addy's LLC."

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Weird trivia question:

How does one arrive at the corporate name for the liquor license application?

I see yours is "Addy's LLC."

My beautiful wife’s grandmother on her father’s side passed on recently and her name was Adeline and people called her Addy. She was a firecracker in her 90’s who was super kind, warm, and loving yet tough. I used the name out of respect.

:wink:

Paul

Edited by Lazrowp (log)

That could really be a primo location. I don't know what kind of hours you plan on having, but the Cosi right across the street is usually packed on Firday and Saturday nights. They usually have a really nice sized crowd. You might be able to steal some of their clientel.

WhizWit.net -- My blog on Food, Life, and Politics

Congrats on putting up your orange liquor license application sign.

Could you tell us how much a Philadelphia County liquor license is going for these days? Thanks.

After you promise your 1st male born child, figure about $70,000. How much was your liscense in the Northeast?

:wacko:

Paul

Health Department

Today with my architect I dropped off my plans to the Health Department. The inspector spent about 30 minutes with us as we introduced and walked him through our plans. He was incredibly helpful and pointed out many things that would be required for cpmpletion of their plan review. For example a drain at a specific location, or walk-in box indirect drains, HACCP Plans, a proposed menu, Lighting plans...

I was always very uneasy about "a visit to the Health Department," but they really are taking a consultant/advisory role in this early stage.

They will need about 10 days until they look at the plans, then they will make a list of things we have forgotten that are required (and send me an invoice for their services). Turnaround time should be under 30 days.

:rolleyes:

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Delays:

I found out today that there has been a parting of ways between my building owner and the construction crew that was supposed to work on the top floors as well as my restaurant space. Translation #1: I am now scrambling around to find another construction crew. Translation #2: Due to the delay of finding another crew, a further delay will occur for my soft opening.

Paul

Delays:

I found out today that there has been a parting of ways between my building owner and the construction crew that was supposed to work on the top floors as well as my restaurant space.  Translation #1:  I am now scrambling around to find another construction crew.  Translation #2:  Due to the delay of finding another crew, a further delay will occur for my soft opening. 

Paul

The immediate followup question: will you be getting a break in rent from the landlord as a result of the delay?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

-------------

The immediate followup question: will you be getting a break in rent from the landlord as a result of the delay?

-------------

Fortunately, my rent does not start until 4 months after my “vanilla shell” construction is complete. Of course I would rather open for business and pay rent then be in this “waiting in limbo” state which gets expensive with little incoming monies. One thing that all the "How-to: Starting a Restaurant" books never really get into is all the waiting that occurs. (true there are plenty-o-things to do, but waiting seems to be a big line item)

Fortunately, my rent does not start until 4 months after my “vanilla shell” construction is complete.  Of course I would rather open for business and pay rent then be in this “waiting in limbo” state which gets expensive with little incoming monies.    One thing that all the "How-to: Starting a Restaurant" books never really get into is all the waiting that occurs.  (true there are plenty-o-things to do, but waiting seems to be a big line item)

Wow, good lease negotiation.

When is your vanilla shell construction supposed to be complete?

When it is complete, how long will it have been since you began occupying the space during construction and whatnot?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

When is your vanilla shell construction supposed to be complete?

When it is complete, how long will it have been since you began occupying the space during construction and whatnot?

I signed my lease back at the end of February. The space was occupied by the previous tenant until June, and last week I successfully received my building permit. The place has been gutted and now I am scrambling around for a new construction crew. Regarding the estimate as to when the vanilla shell build out will be complete…let me break out my crystal ball and see what the answer is.....woops.....my crystal ball seems to be cracked now so I won't be able to answer.

Next week I have a construction meeting planned and I hope to have a firm idea. I have heard that once the construction crew gets moving a 3 month build- out time is normal. I am a little bummed about this delay as I know that Sept/Oct is a way better time period to open a restaurant that the Oct/Nov time frame…but as a mom & pop operation I can not afford to wait to open for a “great month” and I will open asap.

:wacko:

Paul