• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday Afternoon in Center City

On the Sunday afternoon of Memorial Day weekend, I am planning an exploration of the sites and eats of Center City. We will be coming in from Swarthmore in the early afternoon and winding up in Chinatown for dinner. Unfortunately Reading Market will be closed then so I wonder what if anything else will be open?

A few years ago Jonny Apple of the NYTimes drew up a list of distinctively Philly food stops. However in my experience Apple tends to go for the dull old favorites rather than the better and more imaginative newer choices. Furthermore a number are in the Reading Market and presumably closed. Although I have the street addresses, I don't know Philly geography. I would love some directions and suggestions.

My daughter and I will probably want to see some of the major tourist sites in Independence National Historic Park and grab a bit of street type food. JIM'S STEAKS seems the closest of the steak options. Another advantage over the competition is they don't use Cheeze Whiz. Is water ice anything like RI frozen lemonade?

On the drive in from Swarthmore how far would we be from a hoagie at Sarcone's? Is it worth a small detour?

Parking on a Sunday afternoon is probably only slightly less difficult than on a weekday, but given the modest parameters of the area in which we would be walking - - between the historic sites and Chinatown - - if we could score a free spot and leave the car there for a few hours, that would be worthwhile. I know that parking in any Chinatown is difficult. Within that area are there any streets where we might be able to find it?

Apple's list follows:

BASSETT'S ICE CREAM -- 51 North 12th Street, Reading Terminal Market; (215) 925-4315.

DOWN HOME DINER -- 12th and Filbert Streets, Reading Terminal Market; (215) 627-1955.

GENO'S STEAKS -- 1219 South Ninth Street; (215) 389-0659.

JIM'S STEAKS -- 400 South Street; (215) 928-1911.

JOHN'S WATER ICE -- 701 Christian Street; (215) 925-6955.

PAT'S KING OF STEAKS -- 1237 East Passyunk Avenue; (215) 468-1546.

POP'S WATER ICE -- 1337 Oregon Avenue; (215) 551-7677.

READING TERMINAL MARKET -- 51 North 12th Street; (215) 922-2317.

SARCONE'S DELI -- 734 South Ninth Street; (215) 922-1717.

SILK CITY DINER -- 435 Spring Garden Street; (215) 592-8838.

Sarcone's will be closed on Sunday, so forget about hoagies there. Two of the aternatives to Tommy DiNic's for roast pork are also closed on Sunday (Tony Luke's and John's). Geno's and Pat's and Jim's will be open, as will the Silk City Diner. I don't know firsthand of any steak/hoagie joint in the historic district to recommend, but in a different topic someone recommended Campo's (214 Market near the historic sites) to a visitor, and he reported being pleased with the recommendation; I don't know if they are open on Sundays, so give a call at (215) 972-7160.

You might want to consider altering your dinner plans. Instead of saving Chinatown for dinner, why not come in early, say 11 or 12, and go for dim sum in Chinatown. You and your daughter can choose what you like from the rolling carts before ambling off to the historic district. (I strongly recommend the new National Constitution Center). I like Joy Tsin Lau, Race between 9th and 10th, but I'm in the minority around here. There are two or three other restaurants that do a nice job, though I don't recall the names; I'm sure someone on this board will post them.

If you're daughter enjoys seafood, I recommend taking your evening meal at Sansom Street Oyster House, on Sansom Street between 15th & 16th Streets. Their website offers a coupon for second entree at half-price on Sundays between 3 and 9 p.m. If she's on dutie, our Katie will also treat you well. And they should have soft shell crabs!

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I called Sarcone's before posting and they ARE open on Sunday from about 9ish to 3ish. So the Sarcone question is not moot. I raise it again.

Any advice on parking?

The schedule I outlined in my original message is not changable since others are involved so the alternatives you graciously suggested won't work.

As for Chinatown I have posted my questions in the existing thread. So I won't pursue them here.

Sarcone's will be closed on Sunday, so forget about hoagies there.

I have occasionally gotten hoagies at Sarcone's on a sunday, but they usually close pretty early, I think it's officially 4pm, but I wouldn't count on there still being rolls by then. I don't know if I'd count on them being open this weekend. But you could call and see (215) 922-1717.

Jim's cheesesteaks at 4th and South is a pretty easy walk from the historical sights, and South Street itself is still a philly landmark, despite its creeping mallification, and is fun to walk up and down. I actually think Jim's makes a decent cheesesteak, if not the greatest one you'll ever have. However, not only do they have Cheese Whiz, that's actually what you should get! If that thought just horrifies you, you can ask for it with Provelone or American. But if you just say "Cheese With" (that's with onions, which you do want) they'll slap some goopy Whiz on there... Say "provelone with" if you fear blindness from the florescent orange cheese-like product.

And yes, Water Ice is kind of like a frozen lemonade, like a sno-cone, but, you know, better.

If you're in the Chinatown/Reading Terminal area, consider a hike a few blocks south to 13th and Sansom to Capogiro Gelato. There's a whole topic here devoted to swooning over their gelato and sorbetto.

I like the Silk City Diner, but it's not really on your way to anything, and I wouldn't make a special trip.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

So the Sarcone question is not moot.  I raise it again. 

yes, Sarcone's is worth a detour if you're a hoagie fan.

As for parking,. it's really hard to keep up with the changing parking regualtions, so many of my fave secret spots have changed to 7-day metered zones. But if you're going to be in the historic district, on third street, north of Market, you can still sometimes find an "except sunday" spot and leave your car there all day. Keep an eye out for loading zones that are "except sunday" those are the best.... I actually got a ticket on a sunday in an "except sunday" zone on third near Chestnut, even caught the meter guy as he was writing it. He apologized, took the ticket off my car, and then I got a notice in the mail later, with an additional fine for not paying the ticket he didn't give me. Philly is great that way! So if you can find a spot without a meter, you're safer, in case the Parking weasels can't read.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

"JIM'S STEAKS seems the closest of the steak options.  Another advantage over the competition is they don't use Cheeze Whiz."

Be a local ... EAT 'EM WIT WHIZ! It's the way to go and I do love Jim's and they do have whiz indeed - Pat's doesn't but I don't care for Pats/genos anyway.

What Jims doesn't have is french fries, if y' care about that.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

I called Sarcone's before posting and they ARE open on Sunday from about 9ish to 3ish.  So the Sarcone question is not moot.  I raise it again. 

Any advice on parking? 

The schedule I outlined in my original message is not changable since others are involved so the alternatives you graciously suggested won't work. 

As for Chinatown I have posted my questions in the existing thread.  So I won't pursue them here.

Did you call Sarcone's Bakery or Deli? They're separated by a few hundred feet, with the deli at the corner of 9th and Fitzwater.

I prefer their rolls plain, but others very much enjoy the deli's hoagies.

Parking on Sunday in Chinatown? Good luck. Small streets won't help you at all.

I'm a Chinatown regular of 28 years, and the only way we make it now is because we have access to other private spaces.

That said, you can park in the school yard of Holy Redeemer, the school at 10th and Vine until evening or so. To get there, take 676 East to 8th Street exit. At the bottom, go straight ahead to 7th St. Left on 7th to 2nd light @ Callowhill. Take Callowhill past 8th. Turn left when you see the sign for 95 and Vine Street above you. Turn right onto that first street when and into that schoolyard filled with cars.

95 exits onto Callowhill. Then follow above directions.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Cheesesteaks are better with the 'whiz.

I don't think any of the "known" roast pork joints are open on Sunday.

Tony Luke's, Dinic's, John's are all closed.

Anyone know of an exception?

I've been to a few random joints in South Philly that do have good roast pork sammies, but I doubt that any South Philly sammie joint is open on Sunday.

The new place, Vinny Amato's (?) on South around 4th (?) is probably your best bet. I'm pretty sure they have roast pork, and they are likely to be open because they're on South.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

It's a holiday weekend and the Penn's Landing River Jam will add more people and cars to the Liberty Bell visitor jam.

But before you get to that area, swing thru South Philly where you can visit Pat's/Geno's and Sarcone's. Even on a Sunday there's no shortage of chow spots in the Ninth Street area. Park like the other cars are parked down there.

Then head toward Chinatown on 9th, park in a garage and walk.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Vinnie Amato's (between 3rd and 4th on South St.) has pretty good roast pork sandwiches. But they're ridiculously overpriced: an Italian-style sandwich (aged provolone, greens) and a soda is like $10. If you're going to Sarcone's, I'd lay money that George's Roast Pork (in the Italian Market) is open. (George's also turns out a respectable cheese steak.) Heck, you could even go to Wawa.

For parking in Chinatown, just go to a lot. There's one at 9th (?) and Arch.

I've been consistently disappointed by John's water ice. My vote is actually for Rita's: it's a regional chain, with a store on South St. between 2nd and 3rd. Get a lemon/mango. yum.

Don't get me started on Wawa.

I did double check on Sarcone's DELI. Earlier today I called and spoke to a human who informed me that they would be open on Sunday. After further doubts were raised on this board, I called again and got a tape, confirming the human. They are open Tuesday through Sunday 9 until 4, closing earlier if the bread runs out.

All this other info. sounds great.

Good to hear Sarcone's Deli is open on Sunday, much to my amazement. But, as said earlier, don't count on there being any hoagie rolls available in the mid to late afternoon.

If George's on 9th Street is open, by all means try it. If you're really adventuresome, he makes a tripe sandwich. And if it's red gravy Italian you crave, down the block is Villa di Roma.

Robert's Market Report

If you're in town early enough in the day and are thinking of a down-home style brunch, aka good diner food, check out Morning Glory Diner at the corner of 10th and Fitzwater in South Philly. I think you'll find the food more satisfying and interesting than at Silk City and the environment a good bit cleaner.... There's usually a wait for a table, but if it's a nice day it's worthwile.

If you're looking for a shorter wait and a location closer to Chinatown and Center City, and if you're a practitioner of eating breakfast for lunch, then check out Blue in Green. They serve solid omelets and, to my carb loading tastes, the best pancakes in town. You'll find them in the middle of Jewelers Row on Sansom Street between 7th and 8th.

I would strongly second philadining's recommendation of paying a stop to Capogiro. The hazelnut (nocce) gelato is a personal favorite.

A walk through the Ninth Street market is a no-brainer, with DiBruno's (cheese, oils, etc.) and Esposito's (butcher) being excellent spots to do a bit of provisioning while you're in town. Enjoy.

Is water ice anything like RI frozen lemonade? 
And yes, Water Ice is kind of like a frozen lemonade, like a sno-cone, but, you know, better.

I just had frozen lemonade for the first time this weekend. It's clearly related to water ice-- let's call them first cousins-- but water ice is less icy and slushy. It's firmer, too: you can drink frozen lemonade, but good water ice has that creamy texture, and you need a spoon to eat it.

I just had frozen lemonade for the first time this weekend.  It's clearly related to water ice-- let's call them first cousins-- but water ice is less icy and slushy.  It's firmer, too: you can drink frozen lemonade, but good water ice has that creamy texture, and you need a spoon to eat it.

spoon? we don't need no steenking spoon. don't you know about squeezing the cup?

spoon?  we don't need no steenking spoon.  don't you know about squeezing the cup?

Of course, but it's a bit tricky with the rigid, wax-coated paper cups used by water ice purveyors. Back in the day, when I used to get Italian ice as a kid in North Jersey, it came in plain white paper cups with straight fluted sides. They were easy to squeeze and didn't crack or rip when squeezed.

spoon?  we don't need no steenking spoon.  don't you know about squeezing the cup?

Of course, but it's a bit tricky with the rigid, wax-coated paper cups used by water ice purveyors. Back in the day, when I used to get Italian ice as a kid in North Jersey, it came in plain white paper cups with straight fluted sides. They were easy to squeeze and didn't crack or rip when squeezed.

DiCosimo's in the 'Burg section of Elizabeth still uses the fluted cups for their smallest size ice. IMHO, it beats any of the water ices I've had in Philadelphia, but then again, the food of your youth is always "best". But I make it back to Elizabeth regularly, and my opinion still holds. DiCosimo's is especially good after an Italian hot dog at Tommy's or pizza at Spirito's.

Robert's Market Report