• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sticky Rice

Yuki

Thanks to you both!! I have my first batch of jiu niang incubating. I can't wait until it's ready!!

Question: the type of "brewer's yeast" I used was "hard" - it looked like a giant mothball. I crushed it up into powder. Would it be better if I used fresh brewer's yeast (I'm assuming such a thing exists)?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I don't have any idea, but there could very well be a difference. I just realised that you and the link liuzhou gave use the mothball kind of yeast. That could be more 'potent'. I've only seen the flat, soft disc type here....and everyone hides their pot for weeks and weeks.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

• 2 weeks later...

How fitting! I had an unexplained craving for it last week so picked up one of the little tubs from my local Ranch 99. I know it's fermented and all but does jiou niang ever go bad? Or is it like kimchi where it gets more delicious with age?

I'm tempted to try to make this myself, but I always feel like self-fermenting stuff is unsafe.

nakedsushi.net (not so much sushi, and not exactly naked)

Well, guess what nakedsushi... since I posted, I've made no less than 6 batches - and all turned out beautifully.

1. Yes, it does get sweeter and better over time, IMO.

2. Question: for all you experts: sometimes, the rice that floats on top forms a thin layer of fuzz, which I can only imagine is some form of mold. Must I scrape this of before eating (i.e. is it toxic)? Or, is edible and completely safe to eat? (The mold is blanch white - just like the rice, not green nor black).

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just wanted to bump up nakedsushi's question: does this stuff ever go bad? I always seem to have a store-bought jar of it lying around, and I think the one I have right now is at least a year old. There's nothing obviously off about the appearance or odor...

-al

---

al wang