• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ribs for her pleasure

eunny jang

I've ordered a couple slabs of really good beef spare ribs so we can have a project to do this weekend. So far, the plan includes six or seven hours, a wood-fired smoker, and beer.

Ideas for dry rubs, sprays, what-have-you, or some technique pointers? I'd like to do something a little different from the usual spice-rub/barbeque-sauce combo that we've done for pork baby backs. A chipotle rub? Asian flavors? Hmm...

:raz: Try this rub, equal parts of each item.. African blend... Very tasty

CHILI POWDER – DARK, GARLIC – GRANULATED, ONION – GRANULATED, PEPPER - BLACK TABLE GRIND, CILANTRO FLAKES, CUMIN SEED – GROUND, OREGANO - GREEK – WHOLE, BASIL - IMPORTED – WHOLE, CINNAMON - 3% OIL – GROUND, CLOVES – GROUND, CAYENNE PEPPER - 30,000 – GROUND

3 tablespoons of each ittem listed, in a bowl, mix together and rub on ribs or meat.. Enjoy

I've ordered a couple slabs of really good beef spare ribs so we can have a project to do this weekend.  So far, the plan includes six or seven hours, a wood-fired smoker, and beer.

Ideas for dry rubs, sprays, what-have-you, or some technique pointers?  I'd like to do something a little different from the usual spice-rub/barbeque-sauce combo that we've done for pork baby backs.  A chipotle rub?  Asian flavors?  Hmm...

I like to marinate beef ribs in :

MOJO CRIOLLO

8 cloves garlic

1 cup orange juice

1 quarter cup vinegar

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 quarter teaspoon cumin

1 teaspoon salt

1 quarter cup olive oil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chop and cream garlic with salt. Blend all ingredients except olive oil together and set aside to allow flavors to blend 15-30 minutes. Just before using marinade, whisk in the one quarter cup olive oil, pour over meat. Marinate for 2-6 hours.

Which is more like a mild brine, to me. Go light on the smoke for the first hour or so, at about 225ºF. You've got the time, perfect.

woodburner

• 7 months later...

I'm ready to rock and roll for the New Year's Day Festivities.

Six racks of beef ribs are currently sitting in a moist marinade of mojo, ready to smoke cook tomorrow during the afternoon for a wonderful kick off dinner for 2006.

This photo shows my cooker on July 5 of this year, in the blazing hot sun, but tomorrow will be a bit adverse with snow predicted during the entire day. The cooker is well insulated so I expect no problems.

gallery_11593_1454_172127.jpg

I rarely if ever, wrap any meats in foil, commonly known as the "Texas Crutch" while in my smoker, but I'm willing to experiment a bit with these six racks.

So I plan to cook these a bit lower in temperature, than normal. Say 180ºF for about 6 hours. Smoke unwrapped for say the first two hours and then wrap in foil for 3 hours and then let them crisp up unwrapped for the last hour or until done.

Anybody have any suggestions?

woodburner

Some of the best ribs I've ever made, aren't smoked, grilled or bbq'd at all -- but braised... I think I got this from a California Culinary Academy book. I love western style ribs, but if I absolutely had to pick a favorite, it would have to be this one...

Braised Chinese Pork Spareribs, cut into 2-inch pieces, marinated overnight in:

150ml soy sauce

1-2 red chilies, finely chopped

1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped

3 garlic cloves, crushed

2 spring onions

200ml shohsing wine or dry sherry

2 tsp five spice powder

2 tbsp honey

Brown the ribs, pour marinade over, cover and let simmer for 40 minutes. Uncover, add 2 tbsp honey and increase heat for a strong simmer to reduce the sauce for 5-8 minutes.

Serve sprinkled with thinly sliced green onions, julienned carrots and shredded ginger. For an optional kick, add finely chopped chilies.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...