• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trip to Rogue Valley, Oregon

I'm taking a trip to the Rogue Valley in Oregon (Medford/Ashland/Jacksonville) in June and am looking for some recommendations based on your experiences.

I've done some research so far and know there are a number of wineries, farms and some specialty food places such as the Rogue Creamery. I'd like to visit some of these places and will likely pick up some yummies to cook for my family while there as well as take home with me.

Can anyone offer any suggestions of places (or activities) that are just not to be missed or places to avoid? Restaurant suggestions welcome too!

Any input is welcome!

Thanks,

G

In Ashland, we really like the little French restaurant, Chateaulin. It offers a fixed price meal for around $32/pp. This includes a salad, entree, dessert and two glasses of wine. Excellent service, too. They have a small wine shop next door to the restaurant, featuring some of the best wines from around the world. Cheers!

I have some recommendations for Gold Beach, where the Rogue empties into the Pacific.....restaurants, accommodations, Jerry's Jet Boats. But it doesn't sound like you're going there. Are you?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I have some recommendations for Gold Beach, where the Rogue empties into the Pacific.....restaurants, accommodations, Jerry's Jet Boats.  But it doesn't sound like you're going there.  Are you?

I'm staying with family in White City. I'm not sure how far that is from the coast. Since I have about 5 days there, a day trip may not be out of the question if it is worth the travel.

In Ashland, we really like the little French restaurant, Chateaulin.  It offers a fixed price meal for around $32/pp.  This includes a salad, entree, dessert and two glasses of wine.  Excellent service, too.  They have a small wine shop next door to the restaurant, featuring some of the best wines from around the world.  Cheers!

This is what I was looking for! Thanks! My father-in-law goes to a particular place and said it was the only (or best, I can't remember) place in town and I was hoping there was more to offer than that. Some "house" or "castle" or "lodge" is all I can remember. :huh:

You are hopefully in for some suprising treats! The Rogue Valley is a great place.

Here are some ideas:

Out of Ashland:

* New Sammy's Cowboy Bistro. Absolutely astounding wine list. You will need reservations, and directions. You'll never find it just looking around. ;>

* Cafe Dejeuner in Medford. Very good food, fun mostly-classic French menu and very good prices.

In Ashland:

Dinner:

* Amuse. (French)

* Zingaro. (Spanish) (and Hong Kong Bar)

* Monet Restaurant and Garden. (French)

* Cucina Biazzi. (Italian)

* Chateulin. (French)

* For breakfast, don't miss Morning Glory. Reservations help there, too.

Lunch:

Lots of /great/ lunch places.

* Leila's on A street has some good stuff.

* Wiley's World is not expensive and very cute. Tasty fresh pasta, very fun little place.

* I like the burgers and cheese wontons at Gepetto's.

There are plenty of other places, of course!

Beverages:

* If you like coffee, try Mellelo, or Good Bean. Both are local roasters.

Local beer:

* Caldera. Lots of great beer.

* Walkabout. Try the Worker's Pale Ale.

* Standing Stone.

Wine:

Too many to list!

It's very hard to recommend even just one for you to try... but unless you want to head out toward Applegate, give Roxy Ann and Weisinger's a try. Both have some solid offerings, although if you really want to do wine it is worth setting aside a day or even two to visit everything in the area-- there are a lot of wineries here! You can usually catch a trolley tour in Ashland... and if you drive out toward Applegate or North toward Roseburg there are some real gems as well.

Since you're staying near Medford, try Roxy Ann and Paschal wineries, Melello espresso, and Cafe Dejeuner.

For numbers: "http://www.google.com/local?&q=restaurants&near=Ashland,+OR+97520".

....you also mentioned shopping. You are all set.

By June, the excellent Seven Oaks Farm will be open. Go there for great produce, fresh eggs, and local honey. The Farmer's Market in talent usually has great local produce also, and things like local goat milk and eggs. Whistling Duck makes a yummy salad mix.

If you want mushrooms, I know just who to call-- Louis at Mushrooms All Year. Unfortunately, I don't have his number handy-- but let me know if you are interested.

There's a butcher in Medford, Schultzke's, that has some good sausage and smoked pork loin and the like-- you can even get pig knuckles for making schweinehax'n (mmm!). For "regular" meat, I love shopping at Quality Market in Medford-- the butchers there are great guys, and it is a really fun, old-time market. Things like veal and duck fat can be tricky, but you can find 'em.

If you are after fresh pig's feet, oxtail, tripes, beef tongue, and tortillas, there's a fantastic Mexican-American butcher shop, El Gallo. They have awesome tacos, too (try the pig head meat tacos if they've got 'em that day, they're amazing!).

You can also get fresh seafood (can be tricky), game, and so forth. Sometimes the best way is just to get it yourself, but you'll see live crab and so on if you hunt around. If you are visiting the coast, the area I'm most familiar with is Coos Bay. If you visit nearby Charleston, you can get fish off the dock, or arrange to go get it yourself (a lot of fun). I don't know what you have in mind, but maybe write me and I can tell you about the things I've tried so far.

For Asian groceries, I'd drop by Asia Market (also in Medford). Fun place!

In Ashland, you might drop by Allyson's for some specialty ingredients. Duck fat comes to mind (although you can get that elsewhere as well).

Rogue Creamery is in Central Point, and not to be missed. Great people, fantastic cheese.

Well, that should be a start. Enjoy your visit down here! :)

_Jesse Williamson ;-};

Edited by chardan (log)

Hi Genny, We live in Talent.

Most of our food attractions are still of a working nature, rather than touristy, so approach them as such and you'll be pleased.

When we have visitors we usually scope out directions to go per day. Think Prescott, Sedona, Jerome, and Cottonwood and you'll have an idea of how things spread out here.

Our Rogue Valley Grower's & Crafters Market happens Tuesdays in Ashland at the NEW Ashland Armory on E. Main, and on Thursdays in Medford at the Medford Armory on South Pacific Highway. This is the market you want to visit; all locally grown organic produce. Also saturday in Jacksonville. Harry & Davids Store is right behind the Armory, and on the corner of Stewart & 99, right nearby, is the SOS factory store, with local fruits and such. White City is a ways from Ashland and the lower valley. Ask your host to point you to Foothill road and N. Phoenix road and you'll pass right through the orchards, and also right by Roxy Ann Winery & Hillcrest Orchard at Hillcrest and Foothill. I agree with Jesse's Paschal idea. They are nice folks and make some nifty wines. http://www.paschalwinery.com Near the Farmer's Market between Talent and Phoenix sits Rising Sun Farms- http://www.risingsunfarms.com and they have a tasting room you'll want to visit.

If you're interested in seeing a play at Shakespeare, http://www.osfashland.org/

Hang around before Play times and watch the greens show, and ask at the box office for 1/2 price tickets. They always have a few turnbacks and non picked up tickets.

Don't know if you like water but most visitors either spend a day doing Grants Pass and the Jetboats, or doing a real River rafting Day trip on either the Rogue or Klamath.

If you don't feel the urge for boating, a nice day's drive is to visit Jacksonville,

(Whole town is on the historic register) and see a concert at Britt

http://www.brittfest.org/

with wine and picnic, or have dinner at Jacksonville Inn or Caterina's Trattoria; 2nd option: take the back road- Oregon 238 thru the Applegate and up to Grants Pass.

Shopping in Ashland: Jesse covered a lot; I would add The Ashland Food Co-op,

Shop-n-Kart(not your White city one ), Global Pantry on the Plaza, & Market of Choice for foodstuffs.

Dining in Ashland: Best seafood and Steaks are at Omar's, a classy and professional meat den- your relative would feel at home.

Thai Pepper-Inventive asian taken a step beyond-I love this place

Il Giardino-Italian beyond red sauces- http://www.ilgiardinoashland.com/Menu.html

Pilaf-cafe part of Global Pantry

Talent-Arbor House, family run, multi course, lovingly prepared. plan on stayin a while.

here's another thread on New Sammy's http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=59627&hl=

and you really should plan on a meal there. It's an experience worth having.

In Medford, Porters was opened by alumni of Omar's and is a very worthy dinner house. Your relative would feel at home here also.

Bonsai is an inexpensive Teriyaki/sushi place on 6th behind the MailTribune building, great for lunch.

If you choose a trip to the ocean , (you should), get up early head to Grants Pass

and pick up a breakfast burrito to go at Muchas Gracias on 7th street at the North Exit off I-5, then head off 199 to the coast. Taylor's Sausages has a stand in Cave Junction-Local delicious links-and then it's on to the top of the Redwoods and Over to Brookings, and gold Beach, where you can spend the day

Beachcombing and still make it back to the Rogue Valley that night.

I didn't include a Crater Lake synopsis because the rim road won't be open, you'll spend a whole day doing it, and there's nothing food or townwise at all. You've already got mountains in Az, so I took the liberty of putting it last on your list.

I'm sure I left something cool out, but it'll have to come to me.

Bill

Edited by bbqboy (log)

Bill definitely filled holes I'd left-- great ideas! I might have to take the trip he suggested sometime soon. :-)

I second his suggestion of Arbor House-- lovely and cozy setting, great owners, really charming and delightful.

My favorite pizza in the area is The Grotto, in talent. The garlic linguicia one... wish I had a slice right now.

Have fun! :>

_Jesse Williamson ;-};

We visited the Paschal Vineryards last summer. The Peerless in Ashland is also very, very good but I hear they now have a new chef. I first tasted the Paschal Pinot Gris at Peerless and just had to visit the tasting room. It is a gorgeous winery, located on very pretty grounds with fountains and the tasting room has a nice lounge and outdoor patio to enjoy your tastings.

We also very much enjoy the Abacela wines in Southern Oregon. I'll have to check out New Sammy's next month when we visit this area.

Try Catarina's Trattoria in Jacksonville. Italian food to die for and the service was spectacular. They even opened a bottle of Amarone and sold it to us by the glass. NO ONE has ever done that anywhere before.

Also want to second the motion on Chateaulin in Ashland. Food was fantastic. The perfect place for a pre-theater meal.

Jim in Redmond, WA

We  visited the Paschal Vineryards last summer.

[...]

We also very much enjoy the Abacela wines in Southern Oregon.

Abacela definitely produces some very interesting wine! I found it refreshing to see so many Spanish varietials being grown, really nifty! Beautiful setting, too. (I want to see them fire off that cannon. ;-P)

Another thing about Paschal that's nice is that they have a lot of events. I'm sure if one was to give them a ring [(541) 535-7957] they'd tell you all about them.

You've gotten me excited about trying Catarina's-- I'll definitely be giving that a go, maybe this weekend!

Thanks everyone for your information. I'm excited to see there is lots to do there. So far here is what I've got planned (or nearly)

Wine Tasting: At least one day and it will most definitely include Paschal Winery, Rising Sun Farms and Valley View.

Rogue Creamery: I'll definitely be going there, I love blue cheese! I've written and asked for a tour and to take photos to share, I'm hoping they say yes.

Farmer's Market: Hoping to hit it on Saturday at Grant's Pass.

Gary West Smoked Meats: Looks like something my DH will enjoy.

Dinners: Jacksonville Inn one evening. Sammy's another evening.

Out and about: Will likely check out Ashland and Jacksonville. Spending time with family.

I'm going to try to get over my photophobia (fear of taking pictures) and document the highlights of my trip to share.

Am I missing anything major???

You should call New Sammy's right now.

Once Outdoor Shakespeare starts, it's crowded.

Troon's tasting room will be open by that time too. It's on that back road between Jacksonville and Grants Pass.    http://www.troonvineyard.com/location.asp

http://www.troonvineyard.com/default.asp

Gary West-Black Pepper Jerky-he'll love it.

bbqboy, I made reservations for Sammys a week ago. They only had one seating per night available and that was 3 weeks in advance. So glad I got in. My FIL said he'd eaten there a few times and thought it was good but prefers the Jacksonville Inn. I'll get to compare and make my own judgement though. I did look at the Inn's posted menu and it does look nice and traditional. I'm hoping to get something unusual at Sammys though, more of the high concept food (is fois still available in OR?)

I spoke to my FIL last night and he said he has put together a listing of culinary activities/things to do for me while I'm there. How cool is that?!? I'll keep a diary while I'm there and be sure to do a trip report.

I'm printing the post here and will take it with me. We love jerkey but since my DH makes his own, we have very specific standards. I'd love to be surprised by a fabulous find though :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

Such a good time! I wanna go back and escape the AZ record highs! Oh, and go back to Sammy's...the garlic custard is hauting me! Time to try it at home :)

• 11 months later...

Hi Jesse & Bill and everyone else that did such a wonderful job of pointing me in the right direction last year!

I've got my tickets in-hand and am getting ready to go back to Oregon next month and I wanted to know if there are any additions or deletions to the culinary landscape that I should know about?

We only have 4 days this go-around but two things I think are on the list are:

1) Ashville for a day: maybe pick up a play and eat at Chateulin. Probably go back to Ashville Winery to see what offerings they have this year.

2) A day of wine tasting: I was bummed that we didn't hit Paschal last time so I want to go there.

My family is expecting a new foal in a few weeks so we'll be there in time to play with the new baby. I'm so excited!!

So *hit me* what else should I do??

Thanking you in advance I remain,

Your Culinary Sister,

Genny

I would serously consider Peerless. I have dined there 3 times since my last post, the most recent a couple of weeks ago. It's all good here, don't miss one of the innovative appetizers. I had the crab croquettes that were excellent.

I'll try to get a full report out later in the week on this board about Peerless.

• 3 years later...

Anyone care to update this thread? I would much appreciate it. We will be driving from the Bay Area to Walla Walla, passing through the Ashland / Jacksonville area for one night toward the end of May.

I'm not sure I am up for a splurge, but I am thinking of New Sammy's, which might be poetic justice of some perverse kind. Way back when my husband and I spent a memorable afternoon at the New Booneville Hotel, where these same folks garnered a reputation. It was memorable in that it was lovely hot summer day, we waited three hours for our table, including one hour spent in the garden chatting away with either his or her father, and finally left in disgust. Without eating. Perhaps this was toward the demise of that paradise, and their suppliers were refusing to deliver and there was crisis in the kitchen. To my knowledge the Rollins are still cooking at Sammy's; how is it?

Any other suggestions are welcome. The Jacksonville Hotel is out, since I learned that W ate there. And I'm certainly not wedded to upscale atmosphere--if you have ideas for funky but special, lemme hear 'em.

I too am hoping the locals, or frequent visitors will bump this up. We just found out our son may spend up to a year working in the area. Reading the info it looks like it will make a great "across country" visit for us.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Took the plunge and made reservations at New Sammy's Cowboy Bistro. It was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. It was quiet, simple, not a lot of fuss. Maybe not everyone cares about lighting, but I need to see my food to taste it, and to find it. The lighting was perfect, not too dark. Time between first and second courses was a bit long, but it didn't matter.

The bread is baked on site, and it was fantastic, some kind of levain I think. There was an amuse of cold sorrel soup with creme fraiche and a dab of black caviar. I could have eaten a bowl of that. I didn't have a first course, but my husband had a simple caesar-like salad. Good, but not exciting. For a main he had goat that was braised and falling-apart tender served over orzo, spinach and shitakes with goat cheese gnocchi. He loved it. I thought the gnocchi were spectacular. I ordered what they referred to as true cod from Alaska. It was served over fingerling potatoes, fantastic still crispy asparagus, shitakes and leeks, with a sauce that was out of this world and I can't begin to describe. It also came with a drizzle of some fabulous lemon creme fraiche sauce. The best fish I can remember eating. And both plates were generous and attractive and unfussy.

For dessert we split something from single malt heaven: vanilla scotch ice cream served over black mission figs that had been macerated in scotch and served with, what else, shortbread. The scotch ice cream wss subtle, the figs were not, and that was just right. And again, the portion was generous and the presentation was simple and not overly decorative. I guess I want my food to taste artful, but I don't want it to look like an architectural ziggurat. Oh, the espresso was excellent.

We had wine by the glass, and let Vernon advise us--an Oregon pinot noir with the goat and a white burgundy with the fish. Both wines were very reasonably priced and generously poured and good. I thought the value was great.