• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Black Sesame Drink

I usually get this as a complementary dessert at the better Chinese restaurants.

However, are there any Hong Kong-type cafes that serves this as a menu item? Are there any restaurants in Vancouver that serves this without having to buy a banquet meal?

I've posted a similar post in the China section but wanted to know if anyone knows where in the Lower Mainland can one buy really good instant black sesame drink powder? I've tried a few and most are not as good as the restaurants'.

Thanks.

^ could you (or anyone) describe this drink a little more please? I've never had such a beverage and though I could google it, I'd be interested to hear first hand experiences.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

appreciator, the black sesame "drink" comes in a bowl, and you eat it with a spoon (like soup, I guess). It's a sweet, Chinese dessert item. It tastes a bit grainy. I really don't know how else to describe it--I think you'll just have to go buy one of those instant packages and see for yourself whether you like it or not.

I make the instant pouches with as little water as possible to moisten the black sesame powder. That way, it's thicker and sweeter, and tastes more like the type you get at a restaurant.

I also love the black sesame-filled glutinous rice balls! :wub:

The only place that I can think of that serves it regulary may be Hon's. Though I slag the place sometimes - I do have very fond memories of growing up and having either the cold sesame 'soup' or cold red bean 'soup' during the summer.

Both are sweet and a little grainy but it a good way. Like when a watermelon is so sweet and juicy - it seems almost sandy when you eat it.

The black sesame soup is made from ground black sesame seeds and sugar that has been cooked down a little. It has a nutty slightly bitter darkness too it. I have seen some places mix in a little almond 'tea' - which is a wonderful contrast.

Sorry this post is not exactly "on topic", but I had to chime in. First of all, red bean: it takes either a palate relentlessly beaten with the stuff, or a freak of nature to try it for the first time and like it. Okay that's extreme, but I can only think of one case of someone actually trying red bean and liking it. We all stared in disbelief. I, my two siblings, and many cousins all grew up with the stuff and have no love for the (red) bean. Underlying problem for me: chalkiness. And "sweet" and "bean" mix. Sum total = :sad: .

Sesame is better, if only because I can understand the "sweet" and "seed" thing a little better. Still chalky though. Ling, I do agree that the oily balls of deep fried sweet goo are okay - because in the non-soup format, I can understand the combo further still.

Good dessert soup: almond. This I can and do enjoy. The taste combo is good, the chalkiness is non-existant (it is silky) and overall the effect is much better for me. Note: if it is made "right", it is not sickly sweet, but kind of sweet with a distinct almond aroma.

My favourite dessert soup though is tapioca. Not those huge globs like in bubble tea (don't get me going on this one!) but the regular small granules of tapioca in again a slightly sweet milky broth. I think the only reason I prefer tapioca to almond is the texture contrast of the beads to the milky soup.

Canuckle you're probably right that one can get at least some of these a la carte at Hon's. Also in some dim sum places you can get a cold tapioca, which basically has just set in a bowl. Otherwise in-store I've only seen raw tapioca and almond powder (well, and red bean - you can find any number of gastronomically offensive versions of this around. "Red bean popsicle" exists). Back on topic: my suggestion would be T&T. :smile:

you can definately buy it from your local hon's in the refrigerated section. you add water to it to make it whatever consistency you like and voila! it's actually quite good and i know my mom used the hon's version.

you can definately buy it from your local hon's in the refrigerated section.  you add water to it to make it whatever consistency you like and voila!  it's actually quite good and i know my mom used the hon's version.

My mom uses the Hon's version too. And you can freeze it if you don't use it all at once.

BCinBC--I was talking about the glutinous rice balls that are boiled in water and are white on the outside. I don't think I've had deep-fried black sesame balls--just red bean and lotus seed (my favourite!) But the deep-fried black sesame balls sound sooooo good..... :wink: