• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where can I find good brioche bread in Vancouver?

Flotch

Well.... I'm not sure if they have them or not but, you may want to give them a try as it would make sense for a place called Brioche to actually make them :biggrin:

And if you scroll along in this Best Pain au Chocolat in Vancouver?, Who cares about calories! thread, you will come across recommendations for brioche from both SenSes and Sweet Obsession.

This thread also has a recommendation for SenSes brioche: Yummy Christmas Goodies, What's good around town?

And this thread Best baked goods on my route to work, Whither do I find my morning muffin? 3rds the recommendation for SenSes.

Folks, I think we have a winner.. .ding, ding, ding :laugh:

OOPS.... I've just re-read your initial post and you aren't looking for "brioche" but "brioche bread". Whole other tray of muffins. Oh well. Perhaps SenSes or Sweet Obsession or Brioche may still be good places to check out.

edited because I should read more carefully before I post :blink:

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Its not Brioche in the french sense of the word but the challah (jewish egg bread) that solly's sells is garden city bakery, and it is a fantastic substitute, subtly sweet just the right amount of chewiness and it makes a great french toast, buy it unsliced on fridays (its the freshest then).

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

OOPS.... I've just re-read your initial post and you aren't looking for "brioche" but "brioche bread".   Whole other tray of muffins. 

Can someone explain the difference between the two?

A.

Just the shape as far as I know.

The classic brioche is cooked in a fluted pan with a little top knot on top. They are also cooked as little buns, big round loaves and probably lots of other shapes as well.

Here's a picture and a description: Brioche pan

Cheers,

Anne

^ Adding on, I also think that most of the brioche referenced in my above post would be of the pastry type variety in that they'd have savory or sweet fillings. If Flotch is making something like french toast or bread pudding then he/she? would need to use brioche bread.

In case anyone wants to make it at home, here's a link to a recipe for brioche bread.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Pacific Culinary Inst. makes the top knot type sometimes, the pull-appart-bun type, and the sticky-bun type. The prices can't be beat. Just don't buy it all before I get there! ;) You do have to get it early in the day.

Last Saturday I had one (okay two) brioche buns with jam at Sen5es. I think I'll do it again this Saturday, since I'm pining for one right now.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Hey Guys

Thanks for the suggestions.

Gerald, thanks for the tip about Solly's. I am making french toast and the challah should substitute nicely for the brioche loaf.

Barolo, thanks for the Terra suggestion.

Zucchini Mama, my mouth is watering right now, my running shoes are on I am heading downtown so I might just pop into the PCI.

Appreciator, thanks for the recipe!

Take care :biggrin:

A friend of mine who works at Georgia and Howe buys brioches from a bakery around the corner from her office. I think its called Senses -- I've never been in it but she swears by it and she's an avid foodie.

Paul B